Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

System Breakdown

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

System Breakdown - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 2:58 am

Good posts there Edo and Audi.

Is not gold the same price now, as it was in like 1982 or something, allowing for currency inflation ? I'm led to believe it is.

Quote :
you cant eat it,can't use to produce energy, fertilize crops -its
purely a magpie thing - attraction to shiny things - might aswell be
sea shells

I'll be thinking about that for a few days now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:01 am

Indeed, I'm heading back down to Wexford for the weekend do I'll be sure to stop by a beach and stock up on them. Maybe we could use them to back up the Minaudi?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:34 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Is not gold the same price now, as it was in like 1982 or something, allowing for currency inflation ? I'm led to believe it is.

Quote :
sea shells

Yep, that's it - can't ate it or brush your teeth with it but you can make teeth with it. ??

However, though I don't believe a currency system should be pegged to it because of the potential abuse and lust after it plus the lack of growth it entails, neither do I believe fully that economies can grow and keep growing. Not unless we need to redefine growth or something. Computers are getting smaller for feck's sake. Do we seriously start needing to look at real items that are traded plus there are only so many human activities that can be done - only so many times one can go to the hairdresser, go shopping, eat, sleep, etc. There is a saturation point, usually. There is a ceiling.

There is an inner realm of growth though - towards quality. We can all have more quality without destroying the planet. Think of good chocolates from Kenmare. Mmmm. Handmade by a French Chef.

Plus, sales of videogames at Gamestop are up
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GameStop-holiday-sales-surge-apf-14009369.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 3:34 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Quote :
sea shells

Actually - in 2008$USD - Gold reached its peak in 1980 at over 2000 dollars as investors hedged against inflation Actually - if you look at a graph showing the price of gold in every year in 2008 USD Dollar prices since 1717 when it was first standardised by Sir Issac Newton - it is interesting to see that the price of gold actually went down in wartimes - ie American war of independence,Crimean war,WWI and WWII and didnt go very far during the great depression of the wall street crash either - the biggest fluctuations have been since the US dollar finally left the Gold standard in 1971- fluctuations that have hit the heights aswell as the lows.

As a matter of interest- the breakdown of the total Gold production of 2007 - some 3,500 tons

Jewelery - 2398.7 tons
Electronics- 310.6
dentistry - 57.8
Other industrial -92.7
Bar Hoarding -retail investment - 235.6
official coins -retail - 137
Medals and special coins -retail - 72.6
Exchange traded funds - 253.3

Actually you can grind down sea shells for fertilizer so Im doing them a disservice - The North American natives used sea shells as a means of exhange - sensible and environmentally friendly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 11:51 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Respvblica wrote:
youngdan wrote:
You are stuck in the past Tony.

It Was Our gold, now in the present it IS not Your
gold.

So don't refer to it as OUR GOLD

Get a grip Audi. Gold is 860 dollars an ounce. If you find any pick it up

Well it wouldnt be any harm if the country built up its gold reserves afresh.

Heres a thought - Dont announce anything, just send out the Gardi and the army to all the wealthy houses one night and confescate all the gold in the country and put away in a national valut. It would belong to state but the state could never use it(only in a bankrupting emergency) At least we'd have something to show for the boom.
Yes it helped us get rid of those pesky rights.

You reckon you're rights are worth much in an emergency or a war?
The above scenario is theft is it not?
So what do you call income tax then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:18 am

I would call it theft. Anyone who disagrees can refuse to pay and see what happens
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 12:42 am

Yup I totally agree..but for saying that income tax is theft in todays society (in Europe at least) is similar to criticising slavery in ancient times.
You'd be quickly silenced or just consigned as a wack-job.

As for me personally I am quite happy to make contributions to defense, justice, education, health and the welfare of those less fortunate than myself, but what I cant stand is the way my contributions are simply taken for granted!
Thats why I demand the ability to be able to decide how much those contributions should be(of at all) directly(through a vote) and not indirectly by some faceless bureaucrat or lying hypocrital politcian.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 am

This is touching on the true meaning of this thread. The money system has reached the end of the line. Also at the end of the line is the welfare state, this idea that the government has to help everybody is passed it's sell by date. Even worse are the saps that look to the EU for
salvation.

Government is like a huge parasite sucking every productive individual dry. This parasite is now so large that it is killing it's victims all over the place. It is time for it to go.

10% tax is more than enough for necessary services and 95% of the horseshythe is not necessary and no longer affordable.

It is reality time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: System Breakdown   System Breakdown - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

System Breakdown
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2