Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

OMG! Santy came!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:37 am

Wonderful news to hear you are getting well, eoinmn. A transplant is the best gift of all, whatever time of the year. Let's hope the recovery continues apace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:40 am

Thank you cactus flower and Kate!

I was very fortunate to be only waiting 3 months. 3 years would not be unusual. Quite a surprise for me then!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:46 am

You were indeed fortunate, but that's the luck of the draw when organs become available. It boils down to blood and biology and waiting lists mean nothing if it's a likely match. How long before you can be confident it won't be rejected?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:50 am

Kate P wrote:
You were indeed fortunate, but that's the luck of the draw when organs become available. It boils down to blood and biology and waiting lists mean nothing if it's a likely match.
True. And the matching uses all kinds of variables such as blood type, tissue type, weight, age and more.

Kate P wrote:
How long before you can be confident it won't be rejected?
Within half a day we could see it was working. Very Happy
There could be some small rejection over time which is hard to predict. This is actually my second kidney transplant. The first was 7 years ago but suffered various problems over the last 18 months.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:54 am

Eoin congratulations and hope you're feeling great and I'm amazed you didn't mention this already. I had some friends and neighbours who would travel to Galway twice or three times a week for dialysis which was pretty gruelling for them. One got a kidney after a while and was in fine health afterwards though you need to take some anti-rejection drugs.

We mustn't be far off the day when we'll be able to grow kidneys with our own cells. Wasn't an oesophagus grown for a Columbian woman there recently and very successfully transplanted.

Thanks for sharing that with us and delighted you're ok.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 12:56 am

Quote :
Within half a day we could see it was working. Very Happy
There could be some small rejection over time which is hard to predict. This is actually my second kidney transplant. The first was 7 years ago but suffered various problems over the last 18 months.

No wonder you have a smiley face - you must feel whole again. Great stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 29, 2008 1:13 am

eoinmn wrote:
I got the best present of all.
A kidney transplant.

Seriously, I'd been on dialysis for 3 months but was called suddenly at 1am to Dublin a few days before Christmas. An organ had been found!

I'm recovering quite quickly now.

Of course this means that somewhere out there someone, some generous family, is missing a loved one. The organ recipients like me can never properly thank them. But we'll think of them.

Very best wishes for your continued recuperation Eoin, and may I propose you as the man to carry the MachineNation flag at the next transplant Olympics?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Santy came!   OMG! Santy came! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

OMG! Santy came!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Member Events, Notices-
Jump to: