Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

 

 Turkish Government Under Threat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 7:33 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7321964.stm

It seems that democracy is more fickle than we thought in Turkey. There is a court case being brought against members of the ruling AK party that accuses them of anti-secular activities. If convicted, they could be banned from politics. And ye thought DC was bad!

Seriously though, this illustrates why secularism needs to be looked at more critically. Being anti-secular is a criminal activity over, a position backed up by the courts and the military but not, as the recent election shows, by the people.


Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to sort out the grammar.)
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 8:46 pm

905 wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7321964.stm

It seems that democracy is more fickle than we thought in Turkey. There is a court case being brought against members of the ruling AK party that accuses them of anti-secular activities. If convicted, they could be banned from politics. And ye thought DC was bad!

Seriously though, this illustrates why secularism needs to be looked at more critically. Being anti-secular is a criminal activity over, a position backed up by the courts and the military but not, as the recent election shows, by the people.

I think that's pretty much only applicable to Turkey, though. A major point would be that many people appreciate the benefits of secularity (freedom of religion in particular) without appreciating that they are benefits of secularity.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 8:58 pm

ibis wrote:
905 wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7321964.stm

It seems that democracy is more fickle than we thought in Turkey. There is a court case being brought against members of the ruling AK party that accuses them of anti-secular activities. If convicted, they could be banned from politics. And ye thought DC was bad!

Seriously though, this illustrates why secularism needs to be looked at more critically. Being anti-secular is a criminal activity over, a position backed up by the courts and the military but not, as the recent election shows, by the people.

I think that's pretty much only applicable to Turkey, though. A major point would be that many people appreciate the benefits of secularity (freedom of religion in particular) without appreciating that they are benefits of secularity.


This is all a huge deal for Turkey. Since Kemal Attaturk they have on the whole appreciated big advantages from having a secular state and have voted for it many times. Now they have to watch the army on the one hand and on the other the Islamic movements. Not forgetting the Kurds, who are a political volcano waiting to erupt. The more the middle east is pressurised and disrupted by the US (and european states) the more that has stimulated forms of Islam much less progressive than Islam was even hundreds of yeards ago. Personally I think we should have asked Turkey into the EU and given them a big hug long ago.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 9:12 pm

I wish I knew who you meant by 'they' cactus flower. As I have pointed out, the electorate voted for the current boyos and their headscarf-wielding wives. As I see it, this isn't about Islamist fanatics at all, it's about moderate Muslims looking for a society that reflects their beliefs, rather than banning them. Repression could lead to more extreme Islamic movements though.

As for the EU, I think they're unhappy about the latest turn of events, bearing in mind their distaste for the Turkish military.

I'm not having a go at secularism here, I'm sure(?) it has brought plenty of benefits to Turkey. I just mean to point out that it isn't always a good thing. And it doesn't always acknowledge democracy.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Update on the Turkey front: The gov is convinced that it will be shafted no matter what kind of defense they put together for thier trial beginning next month. They are now considering a referendum on banning political parties, presumably calling for the practice to be stopped.

My initial reaction was 'Yes. Put it to the people.' But analysts predict that a referendum could spark a military takeover.

Meanwhile the economy tumbles but let's not worry about trivial little things like that.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:08 pm

The pedant within me speaks, "Shouldn't that be the Turkish government?".
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 10:43 pm

905 wrote:
I wish I knew who you meant by 'they' cactus flower. As I have pointed out, the electorate voted for the current boyos and their headscarf-wielding wives. As I see it, this isn't about Islamist fanatics at all, it's about moderate Muslims looking for a society that reflects their beliefs, rather than banning them. Repression could lead to more extreme Islamic movements though.

As for the EU, I think they're unhappy about the latest turn of events, bearing in mind their distaste for the Turkish military.

I'm not having a go at secularism here, I'm sure(?) it has brought plenty of benefits to Turkey. I just mean to point out that it isn't always a good thing. And it doesn't always acknowledge democracy.

mmm those theys are a bit c***py. I agree with what you just said
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 12:12 am

Turkey's ruling party escapes ban
Another little update: the courts have seen sense and have decided against banning the AKP. Instead a hefty financial penalty will be imposed. But overall: democracy 1, secularism 0!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 12:24 am

Good news indeed. Thanks for updating this.

As an aside, may I shamelessly plug BBC Radio 4's drama slot this coming Sunday afternoon? - It's a dramatisation of Orhan Pamuk's My Name is Red. Anything by Pamuk is worth reading / listening to. R4 dramatised Snow to great effect a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest




Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 pm

I'm actually quitesurprised at the attitudes being expressed about this. There seems to be a sense that the government should learn its lesson and never cross the elites with a democratic mandate again. I was expecting judges to be sacked and all kinds of backlashes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Turkish Government Under Threat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turkish Government Under Threat   Turkish Government Under Threat Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Turkish Government Under Threat
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» US-India deal Under Threat
» One World Government: For or Against
» The Situation in Iceland - Icelandic Government Falls
» Should the Government Resign?
» Is there a Good Government Anywhere?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: World Politics and Events-
Jump to: