Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

X Factor brilliance

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

X Factor brilliance - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: X Factor brilliance   X Factor brilliance - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:08 am

Music is best live.

The industry seems to be going through a peculiar sort of transition. On one level the reality television shows have a huge influence on things and as you say overall sales within the industry must be falling. At the same time the local band scene is positively booming on college campuses and everywhere else away from the big record labels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: X Factor brilliance   X Factor brilliance - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 4:28 am

johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Here you go, johnfás

She's a little rascal.

She is the only one who could have done a decent cover of that Jeff Buckley classic as well. Watching both those finalists butcher it was as upsetting as hearing Rufus Wainright do the same. The song has grit, their's had none.

The song is not by Jeff Buckley. It is by Leonard Cohen and was released in 1984. Buckley's cover was released a decade later.

The song has been recorded in numerous styles. JLS's version was very weak but Alexandra's was anything but a butchering. As a longtime fan of Leonard Cohen I was dreading what would be done to the song but was extremely impressed by Alexandra's version. It is different to Buckley's cover but true to the song as conceived originally by Cohen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: X Factor brilliance   X Factor brilliance - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 5:15 am

Papal Knight wrote:
The song is not by Jeff Buckley. It is by Leonard Cohen and was released in 1984. Buckley's cover was released a decade later.
From the very fine album 'Various Postions' worthy of a thread all to itself ! I've already posted what I think is a waltz from the Buckley album 'Grace' called 'Grace' on the waltz thread.

The cohen album is one of my all time favourites. I've bought it so many times and left it places - it's weird - it's evangelising itself or something. Something very dear to you tends to not have material form - the album is inside my head.

And I sing this for the Captain, whose Ship has not been built
For the Mother in confusion her Cradle still unfilled;
For the Heart With No Companion, for the Soul without a King;
For the Prima Ballerina, who cannot dance to anything...

For the days of shame that are coming ...