Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:21 am

How long does it take to walk a marathon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:24 pm

johnfás wrote:
How long does it take to walk a marathon?
If you're short legged like me, about 6 1/2 hours which is 15 mins per mile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:46 pm

How many miles is sixteen kilometres, ye olde people of the Dark Ages? I can walk that in three hours but I was wearing the wrong shoes, slightly drunk and I stopped to dance at a crossroads. I wasn't entirely sure I was going the right way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:26 pm

905 wrote:
How many miles is sixteen kilometres, ye olde people of the Dark Ages? I can walk that in three hours but I was wearing the wrong shoes, slightly drunk and I stopped to dance at a crossroads. I wasn't entirely sure I was going the right way.
Divide by 8, then multiply by 5 to convert km to miles.

So, 10 miles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
13 miles? woah !! I have never run that far in my life. I have variously tried it in my life, the running, but just couldn't do it. I prefer walking Kate, sorry. Hiker is my man...

I've just been poking around the site again - there's also a walking section that starts after the runners have taken off (so as not to slow down people who have times to make).

It's not hiking - but maybe you and Johnny might consider it...? Smile

Any other takers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:48 pm

Ok, perhaps I'm being stingy here, but do I have to register for the race to get at the training guides? (Yes, just getting around to looking at them now.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:50 pm

TheBear wrote:
Ok, perhaps I'm being stingy here, but do I have to register for the race to get at the training guides? (Yes, just getting around to looking at them now.)
Nope - but they are hard to find...

You have to click on the pair of shoes on the top right hand corner of the homepage.

or here http://www.achillmarathon.com/trainingSchedule.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Thanks, but do you ever wonder about websites that hide stuff like that? I mean, what's the point (unless it's something super-secret, of course)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 2:59 pm

I often wonder!

We, on the other hand, have our very nice drop down forum menu which tells the casual caller everything s/he needs to know.

I spent an age trying to find the training schedule this morning - clicked on the shoes as a last resort Rolling Eyes

It sounds like it could be a great weekend - if the weather's good it will be a glorious occasion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Ok, I've printed it out, and I'm ready to start. It looks like I may be a week behind you, though, but I doubt that's too much of a problem.

If you want to be able to plan your routes without resorting to a map and a piece of string, you might find this useful. There's a reasonable chance you already know about it, but you might be surprised how many people don't. It also allows you to save the route as an url, which I've found handy for giving people directions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 4:19 pm

That offers hours of fun! I didn't know about it already.

I hope this time around to run more on paths and in woodland than on the roads because a) roads are very hard on joints, b) there is far less traffic apart from the odd squirrel and c) the scenery is better. That won't always be possible but it's an aspiration.

This Saturday is 12 weeks from the race (where has the time gotten to?) so if you like we can both 'begin' from Week 1 at the same time; ie, officially beginning the programme next Monday would lead right up to the race day - if I've done my sums right (and there's every chance I haven't so you might want to check!) No harm in plodding away until then to warm up. What do you think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 5:24 pm

Yeah, that sounds good. Unless I've printed out the wrong training schedule, there are only 10 weeks in it. I guess we'll just have to repeat week 9 a few times.

I'm getting kind of excited about this. I may even take the opportunity to overhaul my diet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 8:59 pm

You're right - it is only ten weeks. All the better. I'd feel happier putting in the extra weeks near the beginning - maybe doing weeks 2 and 3 twice each but that's not to say we have to do the exact same thing, once we're aiming for the same goal.

It is kind of exciting, isn't it? I was very psyched about it until I lost my buddy and then lost interest. Glad you're here TheBear!

(I may even do some diet overhauling myself...)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 11:50 am

For lo! the winter has passed and the sound of wheezing runners and squeaky trainers is heard in the land.

This thread is re-opened for fitness busines. I am off for a swim. bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Thanks cactus - I was thinking guiltily of this thread as I puffed and panted my way through my (first since I last posted on this thread!)run earlier this morning.

I've neglected you shamefully TheBear - sorry. Embarassed

Should we re-set our sights on a more suitable-doable date and event?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Swim was lovely. sunny

As lots of us are desk-bound for work or study, and at times some of us can get a little console crazy as well: Embarassed , I'm going to use this thread as a personal exercise log and invite anyone else interested to do the same. At the moment my fingers are the fittest bit of me.

I am intending to tone, tan and generally be terrific. bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 4:07 pm

I'm off for a walk in the Sliabh Blooms with Best Friend - should be lovely. Haven't been in ages. Gorgeous day here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 8:17 pm

Was thinking about this thread and how poor I've been about all this while in the gym today. I've become terribly flubbery of late (I blame the boyf; apparently women always put on weight after moving in with the significant other), and rather than providing a motivator to get me out to do more exercise, I seem to feel defeated before I even start.

I did manage some of the diet overhaul, though. No more chocolate and crisps for lunch in work. Now I go for brown bread, smoked salmon, fruit, tea and water. Though I'm getting some odd looks for squeezing lemon juice over my salmon while sitting beside the UCD lake at lunchtime. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 8:32 pm

TheBear wrote:
Though I'm getting some odd looks for squeezing lemon juice over my salmon while sitting beside the UCD lake at lunchtime. Smile

Ah-ha! Now I'll spot ya! Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Kate P wrote:
I'm off for a walk in the Sliabh Blooms with Best Friend - should be lovely. Haven't been in ages. Gorgeous day here.

Several hours in the Botanical Gardens...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 9:03 pm

johnfás wrote:
TheBear wrote:
Though I'm getting some odd looks for squeezing lemon juice over my salmon while sitting beside the UCD lake at lunchtime. Smile

Ah-ha! Now I'll spot ya! Cool
Well, I do kinda stand out. After all, my skin is blue!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptySun May 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Some serious gardening done today, grass cutting, hedge trimming and planting out. The apple blossom is out and the wisteria and agapanthus just about to open. Lovely day. sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Stiff as a board this morning after lots of climbing at Glenbarrow yesterday- it's really lovely there and the weather was beautiful. So this morning's run lasted for all of a hundred yards before I accepted that it might be better to have a long walk this afternoon to properly stretch out all those sore muscles that I forgot I had.

I've only been hiking a couple of times - mostly with school groups and realised yesterday that it's not the hiking that put me off taking to the mountains but the whinging kids. I might even dust off those expensive boots I bought a couple of years ago and head back there again later. Rushing water, mountains, trees and sunshine - what else does a body need?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:19 am

Swam Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:42 am

A nice walk in the woods - not the mountains today and yesterday. Got royally suburnt on my knees (of all places, I know!) and leg bending is painful. I'll aim for a bit of a run again in the morning.

I'll be staying out of the Sliabh Blooms until the digging is done....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next