Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The dangers of avatars

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The dangers of avatars Empty
PostSubject: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 pm

Don't fall in love with avatars. Hilarious story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/nov/15/secondlife-digitalmedia

The thing that makes this story so funny is the, er, discrepancy between the real life people involved and their avatar personae. Sadly the pics aren't available on the online version of The Guardian. Suffice to say that in one setting they are lithe and beautiful and in the other...a little bit different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:48 am

You could just as easily call this thread The Dangers of the Interweb'.

On our local radio's morning show there's a slot on the morning show on Mondays where people can share a problem with a couple of counsellors.

Yesterday a woman texted in to say that her husband of 28 years was leaving her for a woman he met on the Internet. They'd been chatting for a good while and met up in Kilkenny for five days not too long ago. The internet woman is American and fourteen years younger than the Irish missus who has been left by her husband for said American whom he has only just met.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 am

The internet has a huge propensity to lead people to false impressions. I know a girl who went down to Cork (from Dublin) to meet a boy she met on a website, against the advice of everyone she sought the opinion of. She ended up very disappointed and upset by the whole thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 2:18 am

I know someone too who had her heart broken - I don't think that's an exaggeration even if it sounds clichéd - by a guy she met online. They never met though.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 am

Also, this time of year brings many disappointments in terms of fake websites selling fake stuff an stealing people's money.

See EchuntFashion.

Last week this website was selling Uggs, Abercrombie, GAP, Hilfiger etc.

Accepting Western Union and Paypal. (Cash in other words)

Look at it now....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:23 am

It's broken ! What's all the PHP ? Did some programmers find a site at a firesale price and set up their code in the window ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:26 am

Indeed, if anything is too good to be a bargain it generally is too good to be a bargain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:30 am

A friend of mine left her husband and child and fled to the US with a guy she met in Second Life. She came back again fairly shortly, which may relate to the fact that he turned out to be an unemployed trucker with six kids.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:31 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked

What did her husband do upon her return?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 am

johnfás wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

What did her husband do upon her return?

Forbade her to play Second Life, and generally wore the trousers more often than before. I lost contact a bit, because they both got involved with, and then employed by, a charismatic American businessman, and it rather took over their lives and turned them into arseholes for the duration. He eventually hoofed it to Malta leaving something of a bad smell behind - covered in the papers at the time, I recall. Still, people turning all Gordon Gecko's acolyte tends to put you off seeing them, particularly when you think they're being suckered.

Hmm. I wonder if that has anything to do with my deep distrust of a certain charismatic Americanised businessman?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:42 am

There's his problem - a lack of masculinity.

Razz
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:54 am

Everything to do with it ibis.

I just haven't met the trucker yet. I'm psychic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:56 am

At the rate your acquaintances (?) are going they are probably Scientologists at this stage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 4:04 am

johnfás wrote:
At the rate your acquaintances (?) are going they are probably Scientologists at this stage.

That's distinctly possible. As to their status...it's one of those married people things. She's originally a friend of my wife's, and they have fallen out (during the Gordon Gecko power suit episode). I remain, in my blokish way, fond of them even so, but can't realistically go and see them very much.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 4:12 am

ibis wrote:
johnfás wrote:

That's distinctly possible. As to their status...it's one of those married people things. She's originally a friend of my wife's, and they have fallen out (during the Gordon Gecko power suit episode). I remain, in my blokish way, fond of them even so, but can't realistically go and see them very much.

Uggggh. Akward. (Spell - wtf I can't spell awkward) Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The dangers of avatars   The dangers of avatars Empty

Back to top Go down

The dangers of avatars
Page 1 of 1