Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Comfort Eating

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Comfort Eating - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Oh yes, there is huge friction between Masonry and the Protestant Churches. It traditionally has a link to the Church of Ireland in this country and membership levels would be far lower in other Protestant denominations. That said, there is still huge conflict within the Church of Ireland between Masonic Clergy (and members) and those who are not - I would go as far to say that a deep level of suspicion exists.

I would agree with you that it would be easier to be a Protestant and a Mason than a Catholic and a Mason but my opinion would be based as much on culture and the structure of the Churches as on theology. At the end of the day it is a matter of personal conscience and most of the senior clergy in all denominations would be against the organisation.

It is, however, the least of the concerns of the Anglican Communion, and indeed the Church of Ireland at the moment I would imagine Razz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 10:02 pm

johnfás wrote:

It is, however, the least of the concerns of the Anglican Communion, and indeed the Church of Ireland at the moment I would imagine Razz.

Indeed it would be, you're too busy fighting off the irresistable charm of the RC Church. Razz

How, btw, did a thread on comfort eating turn into a discussion about the phenomenon of the Freemasons in the context of the Christian faith?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm

I was offered a masonic pen I think... it went from there Razz.

Whilst not a member of the Freemasons, I do know quite a few members and people might be struck by the absolute bog standard normality of most people who are members. They aren't all into dressing up, conspiracy or funny handshakes. Whilst any or all of these might be the historical heritage of the organisation, it is a bit of a grown up boys club to a great extent, to be honest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 10:12 pm

I'm not an Anglican, Ard Razz. I'm a Methodist and we're holding our fort just fine. Anglican Church's problem isn't an onslaught from anyone, it is infighting between themselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 pm

johnfás wrote:
I was offered a masonic pen I think... it went from there Razz.

The sheer eccentricity of this site never ceases to amaze me.

Quote :
Whilst not a member of the Freemasons, I do know quite a few members and people might be struck by the absolute bog standard normality of most people who are members. They aren't all into dressing up, conspiracy or funny handshakes. Whilst any or all of these might be the historical heritage of the organisation, it is a bit of a grown up boys club to a great extent, to be honest.

Ah that's a pity, it'd be fun if they were mad yokes like that albino priest from Opus Dei in the Da Vinci Code. I suppose Opus Dei fills that secret society gap in the Catholic Church where the Freemasons would be more for Protestants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 pm

Art wrote:
And in Australia its the same. Cream and chocolate taste horrible there. They use some additive used to prevent them spoiling/ melting in the heat. French chocolate is really nice but eating even a little bit makes me feel sick, that's probably way they are so thin.

The best comfort food in the world is combining very cold milk and a wispa bar in your mouth at the same time and chewing. Try it the cold milk prevents the chocolate from melting in your mouth for ages, great taste and feeling... geek
That sounds good with the Wispa and milk and I know that plasticcy taste that's off the Aussie chocolate too - worse than some American Hershey bars which taste like vomit.

A Wispa has the same type of chocolate as other Cadbury's products I'm guessing - is it the texture that's different only ? Maybe the chocolate is different. Much nicer than Aero anyway. You can't beat a good bar of Cadbury's when you're stuck.

I eat rakes of chocolate regardless - comfort food for me is salty stuff - chips, lemon crispy chicken, fish fingers, fish finger sandwiches, sausage rolls in the delis of Mace shops with tomato ketchup, spare ribs also, pizza, pies even vegetarian quiche is nice.

The Aussies love pies and you can buy a steak and kidney one in a petrol station with some ketchup. There is an urban myth that some Aussies stock up on their pies for a long journey and when they need to heat the pies up they wrap them in tinfoil and press them near the engine then drive for twenty miles. That does the trick apparently.

Their take-away ketchup sachets are most impressive - a small tub that you can squeeze together in two halves and the ketchup comes out the cover. You can do it one handed you see, while driving and eating pies. No flies on the Aussies Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 11:33 pm

Nothing better than a meat pie in London Town. London is one of my most favourite places.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comfort Eating   Comfort Eating - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Comfort Eating
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Gardening and Cookery-
Jump to: