Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:26 am

I don't even remember what post it was now. But having different threads is like having different threads on fords, fiats and mazda. Roll on August and the air car.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 am

Is that Air Car really coming youngdan? I've seen some reports in the blogs that it's the end of the year now ... I hope they're wrong (maybe they were talking about an American version of the air car.. )

If you want to find a post of yours or anyones you can click on the little 'profile' box under your own name and scroll down you will see 'Find all posts by youngdan' and you can then scroll back through your own if you need to or are in the mood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:42 am

I will check on the air car later but if it proves to be as good as it seems it will change the world overnight. There would be a lot of powerfull people trying to prevent this
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 12:58 am

Auditor. There is a thread over yonder where they discuss the hydrogen car. You have more knowledge than any on all the different options and you could introduce some if you still post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:06 am

I see it youngdan Very Happy

I started a thread on that last Christmas - I'll dig it out. The technology is fuel-cell and I believe Honda are going to make this car as someone said in only 100 units. I read somewhere that this is a requirement for Californian law that automakers who want to sell their stuff there should have an alternative line. This is Honda's - a hundred cars. A bit disappointing.

The Volt and the Chinese electric car is another story and the air car could be start of the next century or WWIII What a Face

I'll try to find that Californian stuff so we can put the thread out of its misery.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:24 am

Lads, give over on the air car. It's a pipe dream. Compressed air has the energy density of a lollipop. Probably less, now that I think about it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:30 am

EVM. You have of late caused me much distress. I am after putting every penny I have into the air car company. Are you telling me that I will have to get a job. A few months to find out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:34 am

EVM. I've been considering this lately and reckon I have a solution to some of the problems of our time: a popcorn car.

The seed is pre-heated, is popped into the chamber, explodes forcing the piston down then is ejected out a valve not through the exhaust but up a pipe connected to your wife's mouth inside in the car ! Think of all the birds killed with that one...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:02 am

That is a fine idea, get it patented immediately. And the added advantage of keeping her yap shut to boot. You could say it is a corny idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 am

Drive-in cinemas might pop up all over the countryside too - or at last you would have a continuous and unending supply of popcorn and wouldn't run out when you are watching videos in your car tv out in the back of beyond of a night.

What else would you be doing in Clare, sure?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:18 am

youngdan wrote:
That is a fine idea, get it patented immediately. And the added advantage of keeping her yap shut to boot. You could say it is a corny idea.
Do you think some conglomerate would be all ears if I proposed ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:34 am

That deserves an even lamer pun. Would you COB yourself on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:36 am

I just saw an ad for a French (can't remember which one) diesel car that claims to do 2020km on a single tank.
I think my own car would struggle to do 800 km on a single (60 litre) tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:48 am

There is nothing wrong with your engine, it is your tank that is too small.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:54 am

youngdan it would be well for you to attempt to think like AfricanDave's frame of mind there - that Bakken oil is going to be unbelievably impossible to extract and will not last forever either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 4:37 am

Fear not I have Dave's car right here. Hope your not too big Dave but enjoy the ride http://uk.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=84561
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Coming to Dublin in 2039 ...

Paris to Launch Subscription Electric Car Sharing Service

As someone said earlier (Squire ?), there is very little choice here in terms of investments; look at the above - 4000 electric cars for sharing by end 2009 in Paris ... (and London )

Win or lose will John McCain continue to press his Government for this ? Could be America is getting in on the energy savings too
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_energy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Coming to Dublin in 2039 ...

Paris to Launch Subscription Electric Car Sharing Service

As someone said earlier (Squire ?), there is very little choice here in terms of investments; look at the above - 4000 electric cars for sharing by end 2009 in Paris ... (and London )

Win or lose will John McCain continue to press his Government for this ? Could be America is getting in on the energy savings too
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080624/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_energy

I read this but it didn't say where the electricity comes from. If we could recharge with wind generated electricity as Denmark is proposing that would be worth doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 07, 2008 9:00 pm

Some dude built a boat which runs on waves - wave power. He sailed from Japan to Hawaii in it too ... Anyone else see a BIG future in this ?

Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 Sm2_map

Treehugger

Now, cruise ships are getting massiver and massiver every decade now that the icebergs have been turned into icewimps by global warming. Have a look at the rough specs of the Oasis Class presented in USA Today and below in wikipedia

Quote :
Royal Caribbean is betting its future on the two vessels, which will cost more than $1 billion a piece and debut in late 2009 and 2010. At 220,000 tons, they’ll be more than 40% larger than the largest cruise ships afloat, and Royal Caribbean already has said they’ll include such innovative features as a massive “Central Park” with live trees and outdoor restaurant seating. The ships will hold 5,400 passengers at double occupancy — a number once thought unthinkable in the cruise business.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/cruiselog/2008/05/and-the-second.html

Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 300px-Independence_of_the_Seas_8454
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_of_the_Seas

The Titanic was 46000 tonnes while the new ones are 220,000 Shocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_ship
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:26 am

That boat looks like a cross between Hannibal Lecter and the filter on my tumble dryer.

Big, but ugly.

I wonder where they hide all the lifeboats on a craft that carries the population of a decent sized rural town...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 12:43 am

My Great Aunt has been around the world 3 times on Cunard... she assures me it is the only way to travel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:01 am

Being the size of a small town I predict these yokes to be fertile ground for the entire gamut of experience of real life to be replicated in miniature in these boats in the not-too-distant future. People will travel round the world on them, get married on them, have children, raise children, be born on them, die on them and some will hardly ever leave them (following the template already of some town in Laois).

Ugly, Kate - how could you say such a thing about such a thing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:11 am

Because it is, Audi. Technology and building brilliance aside, it's an ugly thing. It's monstrous and gaudy and disproportionate, and the different levels make it look like a cheap apartment block from CSI Las Vegas.

The front of it looks like it has inherited its dental work from the unhappy cross breeding of Hannibal Lecter and Darth Vader (apologies, A-T).

And apart from the aesthetics, what's the point of going on a cruise with more than 5,000 people? Cruise ships should be very little bigger than they were when Agatha Christie was killing people on the Nile. Otherwise they've missed the whole point...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:17 am

Ah you're not looking at it close enough Kate

Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 800px-Independence_of_the_Seas_8454

What's the matter with cheap apartment blocks? As long as the children are raised right ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:22 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Being the size of a small town I predict these yokes to be fertile ground for the entire gamut of experience of real life to be replicated in miniature in these boats in the not-too-distant future. People will travel round the world on them, get married on them, have children, raise children, be born on them, die on them and some will hardly ever leave them (following the template already of some town in Laois).

There is already a boat out there which you could buy apartments on. It has a helipad and comes into port every now and then where people who own property on it hop on. It has most of the facilities of a town - as do most modern short term cruise ships. It was advertised in the Financial Times a few years ago.

One thing I will say about cruises is that they present excellent value in terms of a holiday for the sorts of people who like them. They are offered on a full board basis which is very nice if you can afford to go on one. My Granny has been on a couple and really enjoyed them, they seem to be great for widows and widowers in terms of company.

Not for me though, I prefer the train Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News   Wheels and (bailout)  Deals - Vehicle News - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheels and (bailout) Deals - Vehicle News
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next