Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Modern Myths - True or False?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Modern Myths - True or False? Empty
PostSubject: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 4:11 pm

I was watching a program the other night in which it was claimed that car clamping failed miserably in Paris because a good proportion of the population, who mightn't own car themselves, would come along with super glue and squirt a bit in the locking mechanism and so ruin the clamp.

I can't verify this through secondary sources or from primary experience, so I tend to think of these as urban myths or legends.

Can anyone else verify if this particular info/myth is correct. It would say something about the Parisian if it were true.

Anyone else have any myths they would like to see exploded or confirmed?

The one about the EU regulation on requiring straight (not curved or gay) bananas is one myth that has been destroyed. EU regulations are fairly normal, although many would argue no regulation on bananas bar health hazards are required.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 3:19 am

Speaking of straight bananas, I remember a hue and cry that erupted in the UK circa 1992 about one famous banana. The chain of supermarkets known as the The Co-op' had an employee competition which promised a large sum of money to the first employee to find a completely straight banana in any of their supply. After several months, such a banana fetched up somewhere up north, I think it was, and the lucky employee was thrilled with herself. She duly presented it to the shop manager and the other staff - and they were all agreed that it was indeed a straight banana. The empolyee contacted HQ and was told to await further instructions about how to claim the prize money. She waited. And waited. The banana aged and eventually died. She contacted HQ again and was told that she would have to present the banana in evidence in order to claim her prize. She pointed out that the time lapse had rendered her evidence unfit for purpose, but was able to offer the word of her manager and colleagues as proof. To no avail. The Co-op refused to recognise that it was its own delay that had caused the evidentiary problem and would not accept the testimony of her fellow workers. A good few column inches were devoted to the unfairness of it all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 3:21 am

Aragon wrote:
Speaking of straight bananas, I remember a hue and cry that erupted in the UK circa 1992 about one famous banana. The chain of supermarkets known as the The Co-op' had an employee competition which promised a large sum of money to the first employee to find a completely straight banana in any of their supply. After several months, such a banana fetched up somewhere up north, I think it was, and the lucky employee was thrilled with herself. She duly presented it to the shop manager and the other staff - and they were all agreed that it was indeed a straight banana. The empolyee contacted HQ and was told to await further instructions about how to claim the prize money. She waited. And waited. The banana aged and eventually died. She contacted HQ again and was told that she would have to present the banana in evidence in order to claim her prize. She pointed out that the time lapse had rendered her evidence unfit for purpose, but was able to offer the word of her manager and colleagues as proof. To no avail. The Co-op refused to recognise that it was its own delay that had caused the evidentiary problem and would not accept the testimony of her fellow workers. A good few column inches were devoted to the unfairness of it all.

The banana was straight, but the Co-op was bent. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 3:32 am

I was talking to a lad once who related a story of him outwitting the clamp. He said that he undid the nuts on his wheel so that when he was clamped he just jacked it up and put on his spare. He then threw the wheel and clamp in the boot and drove off. What do ye think of this happy tale.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 4:15 am

Aragon wrote:

That was what used to really boggle me about the whole "EU says bananas must be straight" euromyth. Bananas quite clearly weren't straight, and yet were clearly still available.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:45 am

Who'd-a thunk it - lefties criticising the Co-op Razz - the world's largest consumer owned business providing affordable solutions to its members from groceries to funerals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 2:51 pm

johnfás wrote:
Who'd-a thunk it - lefties criticising the Co-op Razz - the world's largest consumer owned business providing affordable solutions to its members from groceries to funerals.

As a Co-op member, I can bring the straight-banana reprobates to account. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 4:14 pm

I suppose I wasn't sure where to post this but myths may be contained in this so in here it goes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912

Zeitgeist updated. Another 2 hours but some of it is good. The malign nature of the World Bank, IMF and WTO is confirmed by John Perkins, author of "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" from 00.25 to 00.41. The stuff on the Venus Project, while worthy, is something I believe will remain relevant only to academics. However at 01.23 Jaques Fresco of the Venus Project says that America is inclined towards fascism. Cheneys behaviour could conform to that theory. Anyway have a look and see what you think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
I suppose I wasn't sure where to post this but myths may be contained in this so in here it goes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912

Zeitgeist updated. Another 2 hours but some of it is good. The malign nature of the World Bank, IMF and WTO is confirmed by John Perkins, author of "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" from 00.25 to 00.41. The stuff on the Venus Project, while worthy, is something I believe will remain relevant only to academics. However at 01.23 Jaques Fresco of the Venus Project says that America is inclined towards fascism. Cheneys behaviour could conform to that theory. Anyway have a look and see what you think.

I enjoyed the first one very much so I'll treat myself to this later. Have you come across Bollox Alex Jones ? Here he is giving out stink to your man who made Zeitgeist. Just in case the maker was becoming a myth, he gets torn apart by the Texas Steakeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XVnhh6Yqec

Or does he ? Jones is himself half a myth on the internet it seems but this treatment of the Zeitgeist guy struck out at his own status as a kind of legend gauging from some of the comments down below.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Millions listen to Alex Jones and I view him as a hero
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:16 pm

youngdan wrote:
Millions listen to Alex Jones and I view him as a hero

How do you view Peter Joseph, youngdan?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 9:59 pm

youngdan wrote:
I was talking to a lad once who related a story of him outwitting the clamp. He said that he undid the nuts on his wheel so that when he was clamped he just jacked it up and put on his spare. He then threw the wheel and clamp in the boot and drove off. What do ye think of this happy tale.

I live in Spain and and am waiting for some sort if authorit¡arian application of the law, if not authoritarian government. When I lived in Holland I complained about the police and speeding cameras and was clamped many a time.
In Spain its the opposite. Cars go 100km down a private entrance where children play. People smoke in restaurants even after the govt ban, The othger day I couldnt go through a central street in Alicante becaue a car was parked in the middle of the road. A few weeks ago a I parked outside a police station and my car got its tired slashed. In Spain there is no law and order. In holland its over the top in Ireland its somewhere in the middle. All forms are injust.
What I've learned is that what ever law you enact has got to be enforced, but that every law must be voted on by either the people or in the legislature. Administrative decisions as practiced in many parts of europe including Britain is a form of dictatorship.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Other than the movies I know nothing about him. I have not seen him interviewed except just that linked above but what is the bone of contention between them.

I have seen others with the opinion that he is off base with the religon part of the first movie. I fully concur on the money part. Most people have a built in refusal to understand money because they are afraid of facing the fact that they are being suckered. It is even more amazing now as they are being made destitute.

As regards the 911 thing. Well here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkLAKxoaCc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:26 pm

youngdan wrote:
Other than the movies I know nothing about him. I have not seen him interviewed except just that linked above but what is the bone of contention between them.

I have seen others with the opinion that he is off base with the religon part of the first movie. I fully concur on the money part. Most people have a built in refusal to understand money because they are afraid of facing the fact that they are being suckered. It is even more amazing now as they are being made destitute.

As regards the 911 thing. Well here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkLAKxoaCc

I had seen that before youngdan. Bush and Chesney refused to be questioned separately by the 9/11 Commission of Enquiry. I also saw a lot of comments by anti-semitic nut cases.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Alex Jones is a religious character youngdan, as is manoftruth (not as famous but good for me) - did he lord his prejudices over the Zeitgeist guy in that interview I wonder ?

As a serious non-believer myself I can't really trust anyone who comes over with a religious angle to be honest. Are you a believer yourself ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:35 pm

The only thing more ridiculous than thinking God created us is thinking that nobody at all created us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:41 pm

You don't believe we're just accidents of the universe, created randomly over the millenia - that we're nothing more than a conglomeration of clever bits and pieces that fit together well, a bit more complex than the lower animals who are more complex than the lowest who are directly related to a soup of proteins and elements in themselves inanimate and the whole thing together just a lucky coincidence and accident of natural history ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:44 pm

Alex Jones in that video is most anxious to make sure that people should not start thinking about the profit motive or equality. I would think he quite likely is an invention of Chesney to keep people confused and malleable. The whole NWO conspiracy theory thing is based on anti-semitism and scare stories.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 pm

I do not know. It would be some accident.

Why would anyone not believe in the NWO when they are bringing it in in a few weeks time by trying to bring in the NWO currency. At least people here are now waking up but the Irish will believe anything if they are thrown a few euros to save them. We will see what Sarkozy proposes. Who elected him king
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 12:08 am

youngdan wrote:

Why would anyone not believe in the NWO when they are bringing it in in a few weeks time by trying to bring in the NWO currency. At least people here are now waking up but the Irish will believe anything if they are thrown a few euros to save them. We will see what Sarkozy proposes. Who elected him king
Did rockyracoon start this thread asking about car clamping - we've gone off topic a bit Laughing

Now it looks like there is a new world order going to come in, whether that's good or bad we don't really know yet but certainly it looks like something is coming - maybe it'll just be a new financial order. Will it be good or evil (will we be wiped out wholesale)? What would you expect and anticipate would be the next moves now ... ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 am

youngdan wrote:

These people are capitalists, including plenty of WASP Americans, who want to maintain their power and the financial system from which they have benefitted so much. As we have seen with our budget, when the money is tight the rich want the poor to pay. There is nothing mysterious about it.
They will want to push living standards right down and abandon anything and anyone who doesn't make money for them. This would not be in the interests of the vast majority of people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 am

The very rich care nothing about money. You don't seem to understand this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 1:16 am

youngdan wrote:
The very rich care nothing about money. You don't seem to understand this.

Sorry youngdan but you're wrong there. They care about it passionately and ruthlessly, spend a lot of time and energy on holding it together for the next generation and are generally as tight as hell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 1:42 am

Well why is Buffet and Gates giving their's to the UN then. As did Ted Turner.

I have read where the rothschilds are worth 5000 billion dollars. It is all about power. Now if you are talking about lads like Sean Quinn with 3 billion then that is a different story. He is a labourer who made money over 30 years. The real rich have accumilated wealth over hundreds of years
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? EmptyMon Oct 27, 2008 1:46 am

youngdan wrote:
Well why is Buffet and Gates giving their's to the UN then. As did Ted Turner.

I have read where the rothschilds are worth 5000 billion dollars. It is all about power. Now if you are talking about lads like Sean Quinn with 3 billion then that is a different story. He is a labourer who made money over 30 years. The real rich have accumilated wealth over hundreds of years

But how much power do they have and do they abuse it ? Sean Quinn may have sfa compared to the illuminati but with his 300 million gambles he could have put a company which employs thousands of people into jeopardy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Myths - True or False?   Modern Myths - True or False? Empty

Back to top Go down

Modern Myths - True or False?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next