Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half

Go down 
AuthorMessage

My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half Empty
PostSubject: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:19 pm

With consumate political timing, a letter has just arrived chez Aragon announcing that the carers allowance I receive in respect of my intellectually disabled son has been cut by 50%. What did I do to deserve that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Aragon wrote:
With consumate political timing, a letter has just arrived chez Aragon announcing that the carers allowance I receive in respect of my intellectually disabled son has been cut by 50%. What did I do to deserve that?

Well Aragon, I'm quite sure you didn't vote for this toxic shower that are in Government. You did nothing to deserve it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm

sorry to hear that aragon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:45 pm

That's awful aragon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Sorry to hear that Aragon.

Is this an across the board budgetary cut for all carers or are their particular circumstances?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Good christ. They're going after the easy targets again. Kids and old people. They are utterly without morals or any sense of fairness in society.

Money and votes is their only concern.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Combine this with the cutbacks in hours for Personal Assistants (aka Home Help) and a lot of people (already in difficult circumstances) are going to be screwed.

And as mentioned on another thread, this is short-term thinking which won't save money in the long run.

I can't see how this can be justified, morally or economically.
Carers allowance isn't enough, as it is.

Who else does this affect, do you know Aragon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Very sorry to hear that, Aragon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 4:41 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Good christ. They're going after the easy targets again. Kids and old people. They are utterly without morals or any sense of fairness in society.

Money and votes is their only concern.

Kids don't vote and old people who require care are unlikely to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Shocking Aragon, very sorry to hear it.

This crowd need to be prosecuted now - the system is broken when the likes of Celia Larkin, Bertie and Miriam O'Callaghan can spend a few years worth of your allowance on make up and other frivolities.

God only knows how they squandered it in a ferocious binge leaving a ruin after them. Later we'll applaud them for keeping this or that.

The System is broken and we need a new one where our politicians are answerable to the Law.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Im puzzled by what I just saw on telly. Lenihan said Carer's is going up 6 euro per week. What was the discussion I had this morning with their office in Longford about, then? Im definitely down by 50% with immediate effect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 6:55 pm

Aragon wrote:
Im puzzled by what I just saw on telly. Lenihan said Carer's is going up 6 euro per week. What was the discussion I had this morning with their office in Longford about, then? Im definitely down by 50% with immediate effect.

Perhaps you will get 6% of 50% ?

Have they given you a reason for the cut?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 6:57 pm

Nursing homes money cut in previous announcement in July, says Bruton.

Vulnerable under attack: 2 euros extra for fuel scheme. The elderly will suffer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 7:23 pm

Aragon wrote:

There has been a lot of this going on of late, people losing entitlements and we've seen how schools have had funding withdrawn too in recent times. This is what doesn't make it into the budget; they cut the numbers of people who have access to services and then pretend that everything is hunky dory when they increase the rate by a miniscule amount. Do you know other carers who have received similar letters?

I was in Longford myself this morning, Aragon. We might have passed on the street.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 7:40 pm

Kate P wrote:
Aragon wrote:

There has been a lot of this going on of late, people losing entitlements and we've seen how schools have had funding withdrawn too in recent times. This is what doesn't make it into the budget; they cut the numbers of people who have access to services and then pretend that everything is hunky dory when they increase the rate by a miniscule amount. Do you know other carers who have received similar letters?

I was in Longford myself this morning, Aragon. We might have passed on the street.

I was on the phone to them Kate. It would have been nice to meet up and vent! There is a lot of discretionary stuff taken into consideration with CA. What is really infuriating is that I know people who own their property outright, also have savings and higher incomes - and they get more CA than we do. Our account manager at our former bank told us that the banks are well aware that this payment appears to be administered very inconsistently. It looks as though some CA beneficiaries will be subsidising the increases to a small number.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 8:12 pm

That's an interesting point, but it would be a very difficult one to prove, because the goalposts are shifted all the time. It's one worth looking at though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half   My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half Empty

Back to top Go down

My Carers Allowance pretty much slashed in half
Page 1 of 1