Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Cognitive Dissonance

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Cognitive Dissonance Empty
PostSubject: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 am

Can I just ask whether this would be a real RSF press release?

Quote :
The use of mobile vans by the British colonial police is putting lives at risk, a member of Republican Sinn Féin has said.

Richard Walsh, the Director of Publicity for the organisation, said that mobile barracks were being used in a sinister attempt to build relations with local people, thereby increasing British intelligence capacity and capabilities in Ireland. “The net effect of this nefarious activity is that people could be forced into a situation whereby they would be labelled targets,” he said.

“Despite the remarks made by John O’Dowd last week, anyone reporting Republican activity to the enemies of the All-Ireland Republic is an informer. No amount of verbal gymnastics by himself or his party can alter this self-evident fact. Furthermore, there were no attempts to murder RUC officers as Mr. O’Dowd has claimed – there were simply a number of military engagements designed to kill them.”

Do people really exist who have such a complete lack of insight as to use the phrase "verbal gymnastics" in a condemnatory tone, and then in the next sentence perform the equivalent of a verbal triple back somersault? Or are they taking the piss?

I'm not getting at RSF particularly. If anyone has any other examples, do tell - these things fascinate me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 2:46 pm

That's in a class of it's own ibis. How can you expect us to live up to it?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:18 pm

905 wrote:

Very Happy
It is quite a paragraph. I couldn't make that up if I tried.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:41 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
905 wrote:

Very Happy
It is quite a paragraph. I couldn't make that up if I tried.

It is amazing, isn't it? I liked the idea of a "sinister attempt to build relations with local people" which might lead to them being "forced into a situation whereby they would be labelled targets" - presumably by RSF!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 4:40 pm

I particularly like that last bit

"Furthermore, there were no attempts to murder RUC officers as Mr. O’Dowd has claimed – there were simply a number of military engagements designed to kill them.”

FFS!! - Very Happy

Do the republican movement give some kind of a qualification course in making up wordy soundbites in English?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:26 pm

At least the Monster Raving Looney party know they're Monster raving lunatics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:17 pm

I love the thread title, ibis.

What I'm waiting for now is how the opposition parties who complained for years about overstaffing in the public service and the proliferation of quangos, are going to wangle themselves out of accepting that people will lose their jobs - in a time of recession - if moves go ahead as predicted and as requested for years by Labour and FG. I'm expecting feats of verbal contortionism; Gymnastics is for RSF wusses who don't even have guns anymore. Wille O' Dea, our Minister for Defence whose role seems to have morphed increasingly into defending the government when no one else is brave enough, will get the guns out. Kill Will.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:00 pm

Kate P wrote:
I love the thread title, ibis...

I just hope ibis still feels happy with his choice of title.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:22 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Kate P wrote:
I love the thread title, ibis...

I just hope ibis still feels happy with his choice of title.

Well, it covers the ability to think the sort of things in the initial press release...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 9:42 pm

The sad part is that the RSF morons believe there is a difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cognitive Dissonance   Cognitive Dissonance Empty

Back to top Go down

Cognitive Dissonance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: Political Theory & Ideas / Radical Politics-
Jump to: