Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:11 pm

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 Bean_r11

It's a wee south Dublin enclave by the name of johnfás's broom cupboard Wink

Last edited by SeathrúnCeitinn on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:13 pm

johnfás wrote:
It is however The Pale and peculiarly to many it still appears to be so merely because they don't like the attitude of some people who live in Dublin so they brand them wannabe British. Wannabe Californians more like.

then the dot should be pinned on south east dublin, the rest of that godforsaken city is blighted with celtic jerseyied rioters.

and you are right about wannabe californians, take a look at the ugg booted oompa loompas in dundrum town centre with their OC accents. i blame the trills with the soft SoCal beach rock.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:14 pm

zakalwe wrote:
johnfás wrote:
It is however The Pale and peculiarly to many it still appears to be so merely because they don't like the attitude of some people who live in Dublin so they brand them wannabe British. Wannabe Californians more like.

then the dot should be pinned on south east dublin, the rest of that godforsaken city is blighted with celtic jerseyied rioters.

and you are right about wannabe californians, take a look at the ugg booted oompa loompas in dundrum town centre with their OC accents. i blame the trills with the soft SoCal beach rock.

I blame the Austrailian Interrogative
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:15 pm

zakalwe wrote:
johnfás wrote:

in my day it was mancs with attitude and suicidal welshmen that earned the most kudos. i'm a proud product of the 90s!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:16 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

I'll let you see my collection of royal memorabilia. You can even touch it if you are super nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:17 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
johnfás wrote:

I blame the Austrailian Interrogative

sorry, i don't watch Xposé. the last australian band i followed, the bloke did himself in a bizarre self inflicted sex act.

(none of that promise ring crap for my generation, bah!)

Last edited by zakalwe on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Have you a pre-split Kate and Wulls limited edition tea towel? It'll be worth more now they're back as an item.

'royal memorabilia' - is that Donnybrook slang?

Last edited by SeathrúnCeitinn on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 pm

Tea towel? Pah!

I have the teapot!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:23 pm

johnfás wrote:
Tea towel? Pah!

I have the teapot!

Now you're just spouting.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:26 pm

I'm entitled to such fetishes, holding dual citizenship as I do Razz.

There is a point in all of this though. You are far more likely to find the Irish side of my family watching a programme on the royals than you are the English side of my family.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:38 pm

johnfás wrote:
I'm entitled to such fetishes, holding dual citizenship as I do Razz.

There is a point in all of this though. You are far more likely to find the Irish side of my family watching a programme on the royals than you are the English side of my family.

It's the fawning and sycophancy that bothers me whoever the celebrity happens to be. I've never really got the idea of lauding people just because they were born in a particular family. I'd fire the cult of the Kennedys in there too. I've been celebricidal all my life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 2:40 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 Bean_r11

Ah now, I take exception to my dear auld city being lumped in with perfidious Albion. Yes we did have the Pale and Southern Unionists and Edward Carson *shudder*, but we also had Pádraig Pearse, James Connolly, Arthur Griffith and we were the site of the 1916 Rising. We've a balance in terms of Irish nationalistic credibility firmly in the green in both senses of the word!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 3:12 am

Viking, Norman, Old English, Palesmen, Royalists, Loyalists, Anglo-Irish, Carpetbaggers, Undertakers, Norse-Manx(for a wee while), West Blackpool, Planters - You'd have bother knowin what to be in Dublin Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Yes we did have the Pale and Southern Unionists and Edward Carson *shudder*, but we also had Pádraig Pearse, James Connolly, Arthur Griffith and we were the site of the 1916 Rising. We've a balance in terms of Irish nationalistic credibility firmly in the green in both senses of the word!

Ah yes, Lord Carson... a distinguished member of my Alma Mater. jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 9:59 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Viking, Norman, Old English, Palesmen, Royalists, Loyalists, Anglo-Irish, Carpetbaggers, Undertakers, Norse-Manx(for a wee while), West Blackpool, Planters - You'd have bother knowin what to be in Dublin Wink

No bother at all Seathrún, we do be brilliant in Dublin!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:00 pm

johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Yes we did have the Pale and Southern Unionists and Edward Carson *shudder*, but we also had Pádraig Pearse, James Connolly, Arthur Griffith and we were the site of the 1916 Rising. We've a balance in terms of Irish nationalistic credibility firmly in the green in both senses of the word!

Ah yes, Lord Carson... a distinguished member of my Alma Mater. jocolor

Did you not study in UCD? I thought Carson was educated in Trinity College.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:06 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

There was always a significant Irish population there too in fairness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Did you not study in UCD? I thought Carson was educated in Trinity College.

Correct on UCD.

He went to my secondary school for a time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:42 pm

johnfás wrote:

He went to my secondary school for a time.

Oh right, that would make sense. Are you still going to UCD btw?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:44 pm

We have a few strange past pupils in the dusty recesses of our history Wink.

No, finished in UCD summer '07 and was in DIT for the last year doing a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Studies and now I'm throwing my hand at the Law Society Exams (in progress as we speak)... the results will determine where I'll take it from here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 10:51 pm

johnfás wrote:
We have a few strange past pupils in the dusty recesses of our history Wink.

Yup. You Methodists are fierce quare folk! Wink

Quote :
No, finished in UCD summer '07 and was in DIT for the last year doing a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Studies and now I'm throwing my hand at the Law Society Exams (in progress as we speak)... the results will determine where I'll take it from here.

Ah, I see johnfás. Ádh mór with those exams!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 pm

Ah sure he was a Presbyr
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 11:19 pm

johnfás wrote:
Ah sure he was a Presbyr

Oh well then it's alright. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 1:44 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Ah sure he was a Presbyr

Oh well then it's alright. Smile

and a hurler......they should weld a camán onto his outstretched hand at Stormont
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 9:21 pm

He was a hurler. His mother`s people were from athenry in Galway if I recall correctly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next