Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Density in Dublin - Up or Out

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 11:31 pm

johnfás wrote:
The two tallest buildings in the country are already in Cork.

Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 Ttowers2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 11:48 pm

According to wiki Dublin has only the 8th tallest building on the island. That is a great shame when you think that it is by far the largest city. Bad that Windsor House is the tallest on the island too - terribly ugly building.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 12:04 am

There seem to be a number of taller buildings going up in Belfast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6277933.stm

Belfast is an interesting place in relation to density. It would seem that the Planning Service there intend to force 60% of all new development into the Greater Belfast Met. Area. I have my doubts about how well this is thought out, but this will force up density.

There is actually some very nice open space around Belfast and here is their version of the bird perch sculpture.
http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/image.aspx?ImageID=15080&Width=380&Height=0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 am

Yea that is down beside the bridge by the Waterfront Hall. I like it.

I quite like Belfast as a place. The people tend to be friendly enough and there is decent craic up there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 am

Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 CityOfLondonSkyline
The Wiki List of London Skyscrapers

There they are in all their glory and they're getting bigger and more of 'em too AND they are in the middle of an old city not unlike Dublin. AND they don't look that terrible beside the old structures at all. Canary Wharf is also going to double in size within the next dozen years, so there's no credit crisis in London City it seems.

The Wikipedia page is a labour of love and your man made his own model of the proposed and existing structures too - the tallest one is the "Shard" and it's due to be located next to the Tower.

Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 500px-City_and_southwark_2012_skyline

London will look really cool and amazing soon and Dublin will still be nowhere near a world city ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2008 12:04 pm

Some of the skyscrapers in London do fit in very well. There is nothing I enjoy more than wandering around the square mile and looking at the mix of old and new. However, it is not all plain sailing. Recently planning permission was granted for a new skyscraper which is going to destroy the current unobstructed view of St Paul's Cathedral. That is a travesty in terms of planning and hopefully it will not go ahead.

London is one of my favourite cities Smile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 am

unaligned wrote:
Sorry about the layout of the post...I tried to fix it but it hates me.

I would agree emphatically with you, unaligned. We do have a beautiful city here. The Garden of Remembrance, O'Connoll St, St Stephen's Green and SC, the Powerscourt Building, the Philips Building on Dame St, parts of Temple Bar, our Museums, Shelbourne Hotel, the College Green axis, Alto Vetro, Grand Canal Square and Government Buildings are all terrific examples of Dublin architecture.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 pm

I have to disagree with you on the Garden of Remembrance, it does nothing for me as an architectural park. Perhaps it is more because it has declined and is in need of a facelift more than anything. I agree with you on most of the others. I love the Powerscourt Centre for lunch, particularly when the pianist is playing. I'll probably go there this afternoon Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Whatever about density, we should really be making better use of the canals for mass transit. It would be alot cheaper than other proposed methods and we have routes directly into the IFSC on the northside and LawyerLand (grand canal dock area) on the southside.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Away with the cars - more trees, wider footpaths, more buses, more bridges more river taxis and much more pedestrians- Dublin's pedestrians rock!

My best day ever in Dublin was a sunny Saint Patrick's day that was car free.

I used to love Smithfield Market with its medieval madness. What about open air (under cover) book sales along the river like in Paris?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Motorists suck!

Then again, alot of people are forced to live miles out with no proper public transport. I'm lucky that in the morning I can generally walk in to town quicker than I can get the bus and I can definately cycle in quicker than either. Walk takes about 40 minutes, cycle takes about 10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Cities should be moreso for people than people's automobiles. One big failing of this government during the boom was why a metro wasn't priced for the city with a high-density plan co-ordinated alongside it which would get people around between different centres like Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Liffey Valley, Dundrum, the airport, the city centre, the Dart lines ... I'd love if the city centre had more pedestrianisation too - Dublin would be a lot more palatable to me if it was - maybe ye don't want me there Razz

I've a feeling this will never happen in Dublin though and largely because of the disinterest in higher density which is necessary for the viability of a metro-like system underground because you need to want to move a rake of people regularly over mid-distances. At the moment you're talking about a metro system stretching out into half of Leinster...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Cities should be moreso for people than people's automobiles. One big failing of this government during the boom was why a metro wasn't priced for the city with a high-density plan co-ordinated alongside it which would get people around between different centres like Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Liffey Valley, Dundrum, the airport, the city centre, the Dart lines ... I'd love if the city centre had more pedestrianisation too - Dublin would be a lot more palatable to me if it was - maybe ye don't want me there Razz

I've a feeling this will never happen in Dublin though and largely because of the disinterest in higher density which is necessary for the viability of a metro-like system underground because you need to want to move a rake of people regularly over mid-distances. At the moment you're talking about a metro system stretching out into half of Leinster...

I agree - we need shiny electric buses shooting along bus lanes by the hundreds (covered bus shelters, real time information). Much more flexible and realistic in Dublin. Soon we will be able to charge them with wind powered electricity or tidal from the Liffey estuary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 6:18 pm

johnfás wrote:
I have to disagree with you on the Garden of Remembrance, it does nothing for me as an architectural park. Perhaps it is more because it has declined and is in need of a facelift more than anything.

Well I like the designs on the railings, the poem up on the wall behind the great piece of metal sculpture and the tranquillity of the place. I do agree it could do with some TLC to restore it to former glories.

Quote :
I agree with you on most of the others. I love the Powerscourt Centre for lunch, particularly when the pianist is playing. I'll probably go there this afternoon Very Happy.

Indeed. It has an appealing labyrinthine quality. I also like the front of Arnotts, the view from St Stephen's Green SC's restaurant level, the sweep of buildings up Westmoreland Street and across the river to O'Connoll St and Croke Park - I went to the Museum up there last week and I'd heartily recommend it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 7:01 pm

I like the Hugh Lane and Croke Park - especially on the same day Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Were you at Croke Park Museum for Culture Night, Ard? I was there too! Very Happy Seemingly alot of people I know were there but we were all on different tours and none of us saw each other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 pm

I like Dublin Castle. It's not nearly used enough, well by the public.

Also the Iveagh Gardens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:04 pm

johnfás wrote:
Were you at Croke Park Museum for Culture Night, Ard? I was there too! Very Happy Seemingly alot of people I know were there but we were all on different tours and none of us saw each other.

Actually, no, I was there on Wednesday last week and it was brilliant. I was at the Ardcomhairle, Canal End, the changing rooms, the corporate boxes and the museum itself. You can also try your hand at Gaelic Games in the Park Live section which is good interactive fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:09 pm

cookiemonster wrote:

Also the Iveagh Gardens.

I like Dublin Castle for the Chester Beatty, the nice garden outside it, and also for the Tribunals, that have given me many an enjoyable moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Also the Iveagh Gardens.

I like Dublin Castle for the Chester Beatty, the nice garden outside it, and also for the Tribunals, that have given me many an enjoyable moment.

Indeed. It is quite a versatile and useful building and well worth a visit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 Dubbal10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Have you never been down the country recently Ard-Taoiseach? I wouldn't blame you as we're awful savages but Limerick and Cork have skyrises now you know .. worth a visit for a few hours and then head back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Have you never been down the country recently Ard-Taoiseach? I wouldn't blame you as we're awful savages but Limerick and Cork have skyrises now you know .. worth a visit for a few hours and then head back.

I'm not saying the rest of the country isn't great, it's just that Dublin is better. I wouldn't move from the beautiful Mother City of the Gaels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 pm

I do like Cork and Galway. I like the city of Cork and I like the nightlife of Galway. Traffic in Galway is worse than Dublin though and not a proper public transport system in sight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:01 am

johnfás wrote:
I do like Cork and Galway. I like the city of Cork and I like the nightlife of Galway. Traffic in Galway is worse than Dublin though and not a proper public transport system in sight.

They're still Dublin's poor relations, eh, johnfás? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Density in Dublin - Up or Out
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next