Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town Empty
PostSubject: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:13 am

Given that these days myself and a couple of others have nothing to look forward to but lunchtime we have decided to have a daily delight following our luncheon to sample cups of tea from the various fine purveyors of said substance. We started our epic odyssey today at Bewleys, naturally.

Any suggestions for the rest of the week?

I am currently studying on Aungier Street and the furthest away of our support group is at Trinity so somewhere remotely in between.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:43 am

Someday when you're feeling flaithiúlach you could try the Westbury - their hot chocolate is great.

Not being a tea drinker, I can't help you much further than that, but culchees are inclined (or used to be) when in the Big Smoke for the day, to drink tea in the top-floor restaurants of department stores. Is it because they're lazy or because the tea is good? I don't know...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:45 am

Powerscourt shopping arcade? Is that place still there in the big shmoke ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:47 am

Well... funny you should say that! I had suggested the Westbury as a possibility for tomorrow. It is somewhere I only frequent when the parent's are bringing me places!

However, I checked their menu and tea is a whopping 4.80. I don't have enough money in my wallet to pay for lunch, a new ventolin inhaler and 4.80 for tea so it will have to be left to another day. It is certainly on the list though.

I hadn't noticed the trend which you speak of. I suppose maybe its higher than you can get in certain parts of rural Leinster?? I love sitting in Bewleys in the upstairs window watching people walking past, it is wonderful. The next nearest thing to it on Grafton Street is Starbucks above BT2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:48 am

Up above the Avoca shop ? the Shelbourne ? There is a tiny cafe on Dame Street - too far I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:48 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Powerscourt shopping arcade? Is that place still there in the big shmoke ?

We eat lunch there most days so they would find it rather too local. It is a great place for lunch if anyone is ever around there - lots of places to eat matched with very few people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 am

Oooh I didn't know there was a place above Avoca. Down on Suffolk Street is it? Is it nice?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:51 am

The best thing about Bewleys on Grafton Street is that it's not Bewleys anymore. But there are many other good things about it now - that the food is miles better but the interior is gorgeous as ever. It was a hideous place to eat in.

Avoca is fabulous on top floor and there's a basement with a café that's cheaper than the table service upstairs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:53 am

I never used to get food there Kate but I have done since it changed hands and it is very good. The main room reminds me of my Leaving Cert though. Myself and a few others used to go to English lectures given by the English Department in Trinity (Brendan Kennelly and others) in the run up to the exams. Whilst waiting for our parents afterwards we'd always troop up to Bewleys and have a cup of hot chocolate as a group. Happy times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 12:56 am

johnfás wrote:
Given that these days myself and a couple of others have nothing to look forward to but lunchtime we have decided to have a daily delight following our luncheon to sample cups of tea from the various fine purveyors of said substance. We started our epic odyssey today at Bewleys, naturally.

Any suggestions for the rest of the week?

I am currently studying on Aungier Street and the furthest away of our support group is at Trinity so somewhere remotely in between.

Gruel at Dame St. They do a slap-up breakfast of anything you want and the tea is perfectly acceptable to me, the Defender of the Tealogical Faith.

You should also try the tea shop in Waterstones at Dawson Street since it is fantastic. They have so many different varieties and so many cups you can enjoy them in. It's lovely, spacious and you can fit lots of good reading in if the company gets a bit boring or you're in search of intellectual as well as sensual stimulation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 1:34 am

johnfás wrote:
I never used to get food there Kate but I have done since it changed hands and it is very good. The main room reminds me of my Leaving Cert though. Myself and a few others used to go to English lectures given by the English Department in Trinity (Brendan Kennelly and others) in the run up to the exams. Whilst waiting for our parents afterwards we'd always troop up to Bewleys and have a cup of hot chocolate as a group. Happy times.

I used to be a big fan of their dirty fries - for a while I had a recording of walking into town from Charlemont Street (in a block of flats since demolished), hungover after a night in An Beal Bocht (now gone), to get breakfast in the 'lofty, clattery café' - and lofty and clattery it was, full of the sounds of crockery and the mumble of conversation.

Also, I used to love tea on a winter morning in the Winding Stair, back in the days when it was one room with a gas heater, full of the smell of gas, tea, books, and wet woollen coats, with the grey Liffey oiling by outside the dirty rain-flecked window.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 1:37 am

ibis wrote:

Also, I used to love tea on a winter morning in the Winding Stair, back in the days when it was one room with a gas heater, full of the smell of gas, tea, books, and wet woollen coats, with the grey Liffey oiling by outside the dirty rain-flecked window.

That sounds delightful, ibis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:14 am

If you want a nice lunch, you can't really beat busyfeet on the corner of Chatham Street and South William Street. They do a nice bowl of soup with a ploughmans with crispy bacon on top for a deliciously reasonable price.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 6:17 am

I'm bad at Dublin Street names, but does anyone know the little French patisserie with a tiny upstairs cafe just off Grafton Street ? Top class - would remind me of Soho.

Ah - here it is - its at the back of the Powerscourt Town House in Castle Market. You might have to queue. Its called " La Maison des Gourmets " Razz

Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Kilkenny shop has a cafe upstairs, tea and scone is Eu5 i think. best value as scone is absolutely delicious, and usually still warm from the oven!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Funnily enough Kilkenny it was this afternoon! A very nice cup of tea I must say.

Tomorrow we're going all out and hitting the Westbury as it is a Friday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Not sure about their tea, but if you're studying near Aungier St. and you fancy a great cup of coffee you should try the Bald Barista (Aungier St.). Best coffee I've had in Dublin.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 5:07 pm

johnfás wrote:
Funnily enough Kilkenny it was this afternoon! A very nice cup of tea I must say.

Tomorrow we're going all out and hitting the Westbury as it is a Friday.

johnfás, are you seriously going to pay 4.80 for a cup of tea ? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Some of the art galleries and museums have good cafes, and free art as well. It is one of the wonders of Dublin that one is welcomed in to a magnificent museum by a nice man who is there just to tell you there is no charge. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Some of the art galleries and museums have good
cafes, and free art as well. It is one of the wonders of Dublin that
one is welcomed in to a magnificent museum by a nice man who is there
just to tell you there is no charge. Very Happy

Indeed
they do and very nice they are. Don't even talk to me about art at the
moment - very touchy subject in my house! We sent a painting in for
restoration this week and by mistake they did this, watch the video...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town   Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town Empty

Back to top Go down

Cuppa Cha in the Dirty Olde Town
Page 1 of 1