Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 9:35 pm

Bill Murray is O.K. by me.

"How to Make An American Quilt"
"Edward Scissor Hands" ?
For the truly shameless "Beaches".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 10:10 pm

What about Thelma & Louise? Most things directed by Ridley Scott are worth a viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldrM5xoCc0w&feature=related

Or if you feel whimsical try Something Wild. It rightly moves along.

http://movies.tvguide.com/wild/118305
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 10:28 pm

I must try it.

What about "Terms of Endearment" and "Whale Rider"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
If I'm ever stuck alone in a destroyed world but with an intact video shop like Will Smith in "I am Legend" and I've watched everything else where do I begin with the chick flicks?

I'm thinking that some of the better ones might contain Julia Roberts and I've already seen these:
Pretty Woman (I went to it to see some flesh Rolling Eyes )
Erin Brokovich
4 Weddings and a Funeral (not with J.Roberts)
but I've also seen Fried Green Tomatoes and Benny and Joon, both with Mary Stuart Masterson (where is she now?). That's it, unless Groundhog Day or As Good As It Gets can be counted as chick flicks.

Are there any Sci-Fi chick flicks at all? I'd probbly start with them if they existed. So where do I begin once once I've cleared out all the Die Hards, Lethal Weapons, Zulu Dawns and so on?

For those who have as much interest in chick flicks as chick litt or watching paint dry, this thread could be converted into one which discloses "Film I would watch only if under extreme duress" - many people can't stand WWII films, John Wayne numbers or ones containing Burt Reynolds for example.

I forgot to say, great choices Audi. But what is Benny and Joon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 12:32 am

Mary Stuart Masterson is Joon and Johnny Depp is Benny. Joon should be called 'loon' because she's a nutter. That might be politically incorrect - she's mentally unstable or intellectually or emotionally disturbed. It has an organic basis as her brother, Aidan Quinn, is fairly normal and needs a housekeeper so he employs Johnny Depp who ends up ***ing Joon.

Watch it, it's almost as good as Ferris Buellers Day Off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 12:35 am

I'm just enjoying "Stuck on You". Is that very bad of me?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 am

cactus flower wrote:
I'm just enjoying "Stuck on You". Is that very bad of me?
It's not in the same league as "Something About Mary".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:35 am

I've also seen Amelié and loved it, it is a great film with a wonderful cast and perfect cinematography. Films like that were the one thing I was jealous of the French students in school. They got great dialogue, fabulous filming and good-looking casts in the films they got to watch as part of the culture aspect of learning the language. Us German students got bloody existential handwringing with earnest actors that looked like they had a poker up where the sun don't shine. German films deal with issues and are serious. They aren't the best bit of escapism out there. Although, Monster's Inc auf deutsch ist so lustig.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:38 am

Go to see The Clone Wars soon will I. A chick flick it isn't. Difficult to translate Yoda auf deutsch it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:42 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Go to see The Clone Wars soon will I. A chick flick it isn't. Difficult to translate Yoda auf deutsch it is.

Wtf is the Clone Wars all about? Whatever it is, it certainly isn't canon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:57 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Chewbacca's nephew gets kidnapped and Obi-Wan and Anakin along with Yoda have to rescue him they do. It's a cartoon and looks ok. It's Star Wars during the Clone Wars when the Republic was trying to keep itself together or some Roman history rip-off like that, I don't remember the politics - too complicated I just remember the colour of the light saber beams.

No I don't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Chewbacca's nephew gets kidnapped and Obi-Wan and Anakin along with Yoda have to rescue him they do. It's a cartoon and looks ok. It's Star Wars during the Clone Wars when the Republic was trying to keep itself together or some Roman history rip-off like that, I don't remember the politics - too complicated I just remember the colour of the light saber beams.

No I don't.

Hmmm. I see. That'd be interesting and I might give it a look. George Lucas did riff off the whole Republic-to-Empire theme from the Romans, didn't he? However, there are crucial differences between the Romans and the Galactic Republic/Empire in that the shift from Roman Republic to Empire wasn't orchestrated by one villainous politician, but by the cumulative actions of many and the passage of time. The Romans stumbled into their Empire really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 12:42 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I've also seen Amelié and loved it, it is a great film with a wonderful cast and perfect cinematography. Films like that were the one thing I was jealous of the French students in school. They got great dialogue, fabulous filming and good-looking casts in the films they got to watch as part of the culture aspect of learning the language. Us German students got bloody existential handwringing with earnest actors that looked like they had a poker up where the sun don't shine. German films deal with issues and are serious. They aren't the best bit of escapism out there. Although, Monster's Inc auf deutsch ist so lustig.

Herr Lehmann is a laugh, A-T, if you can get hold of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Kate P wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

As is "Schtonk!", a brilliant pisstake on the Hitler Diaries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 1:22 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

If you liked Amelié I strongly recommend The Road Home. It is a Chinese film about a son going home to bury his father and a tale about how his parents met. It is a beautiful little love story with an underlying sadness. Really worth watching.

Tend to agree with you about German films, but they are good at sending themselves up, excel at sleaze and many of their ending are well depressing. Feel good factor often Zero, but some excellent films. Das Bot is head and shoulders over all that American sentimental rubbish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Squire wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

If you liked Amelié I strongly recommend The Road Home. It is a Chinese film about a son going home to bury his father and a tale about how his parents met. It is a beautiful little love story with an underlying sadness. Really worth watching.

Tend to agree with you about German films, but they are good at sending themselves up, excel at sleaze and many of their ending are well depressing. Feel good factor often Zero, but some excellent films. Das Bot is head and shoulders over all that American sentimental rubbish.

I agree with you on the "feelgood" factor being often absent. That was even more true of German cinema in the 70s and 80s. Very little feelgood stuff in the films of Fassbender. Schtonk was funny as hell. More recently Goodbye Lenin was funny and poignant. And "Downfall" with Bruno Ganz was superb.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

As is "Schtonk!", a brilliant pisstake on the Hitler Diaries.

I'll try to get a hold of them. Thanks for the recommendations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?   What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the best chick flick you've ever seen in your life?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2