Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Famous Last Words

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Famous Last Words Empty
PostSubject: Famous Last Words   Famous Last Words EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm

William Pitt the Younger's last words were a matter of dispute and it looks as if Hague has got it wrong in his biog. "Oh my country! How I leave my country" was the official version for many years until it came out that Pitt's dying words were really: "I think I could eat one of Bellamy's meat pies."

The latter are definitely my favourite last words, as they show a vivacity and relish for life to the last, and are much better than the moany first version. Does anyone else have a nomination for the best ever dying words?

This topic was put in my mind by Lestat, who posted about Emmett's speech from the dock today in the "On this Day" thread.
Back to top Go down

Famous Last Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: Famous Last Words   Famous Last Words EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:25 pm

I told them I was sick - Spike Millegan

Et Tu Brute? - Julius Ceasar

The Best of All is God is with us - John Wesley.
Back to top Go down

Famous Last Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: Famous Last Words   Famous Last Words EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Either that wallpaper goes or I do! - Oscar Wilde.

Meh - Samuel Beckett
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Famous Last Words Empty
PostSubject: Re: Famous Last Words   Famous Last Words Empty

Back to top Go down

Famous Last Words
Page 1 of 1