Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Dessert Thread

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Today I made bread and butter pudding made with brioche and lashings of nutmeg - it's my brother's favourite and I'm always charmed to see a hard man turn mushy for custardy French bread.

My personal preference is for Tiramisu. The best I had was spooned from a huge dish by the proprietor of a restaurant in Florence for four slavering teachers while we escaped from shopaholic students. I've never really been able to replicate it. Though, on thinking about it now, it might be a worthy way of spending a Sunday evening.

If you have an amazing tiramisu recipe, please share Very Happy

Otherwise, please ramble shamelessly about your favourite dessert. And give us the recipe if you like - we're all about sharing here. Wink
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 6:16 pm

I had strawberries from Wexford and cream for my dessert today. Was delicious.
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Fudge Picasso cake in a restaurant in South Africa. Oh god was it good. It was cake and ice cream and fudge and chocolate and cream and a Amarula an loads of other good stuff... 
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Amarula is lovely. We've got about 300 mini bottles of it in a cupboard in our kitchen - long story.
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Strawberries are hard to beat - especially good Wexford ones with the flavour of Irish sun in them. They even smell different. I had the first (very late ones) from my garden yesterday. Yum, yum, yum.

I made strawberry roulade during the week with bought berries from a supermarket - Irish, but not great. If I make it again this week, I'll post up a picture of it; has to be one of the easiest, classiest summer desserts.

It's summer until the strawberry-sellers on the side of the road pack up and go home for the season. Then it's time to start getting the schoolbags ready.
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 7:17 pm

Kate P wrote:
Strawberries are hard to beat - especially good Wexford ones with the flavour of Irish sun in them. They even smell different. I had the first (very late ones) from my garden yesterday. Yum, yum, yum.

I made strawberry roulade during the week with bought berries from a supermarket - Irish, but not great. If I make it again this week, I'll post up a picture of it; has to be one of the easiest, classiest summer desserts.

It's summer until the strawberry-sellers on the side of the road pack up and go home for the season. Then it's time to start getting the schoolbags ready.
I worked in a strawberry factory one summer years ago, I wouldn't touch anything that I hadn't grown myself since then. Amarula is indeed a drink for the Gods. 300 mini bottles you say... need any help with those?
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 7:20 pm

I'm quite capable myself Very Happy. My Dad is involved in a conference in Cape Town later in the year, they were little trinkets to advertise it, plenty left over.
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 7:29 pm

johnfás wrote:
I'm quite capable myself Very Happy. My Dad is involved in a conference in Cape Town later in the year, they were little trinkets to advertise it, plenty left over.
Didn't he teach you to share? 
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 pm

Crumble and cream mmm...
plum, rhubarb, blackcurrant or apple and nutmeg really take a bit of beating.

Intense chocolate puddings of any kind - they should be nearly black in colour

Pineapple icecream made with scooped out fresh pineapple

Summer pudding with mixed red summer berries

mmmmm.... Razz
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 10:55 pm

ah now stop it, this thread is seriously too much!
Strawberries, that bread and butter pudding that sounds to die for, pineapple ice cream with fresh pineapple and still trying to forget Johnfas' dad's hoard of Amarula ...stop! stop! stop! Christ we're a crowd of secret foodies on this site, aren't we?! (or not so secret)

Dessert this evening chez Atticus is a bowl of homegrown blueberries with M&S West Country half fat creme fraiche and a few Carluccio's Spumini (traditional Piedmont biscuits = v small hazelnut meringues that are a bit harder than your normal meringue but taste seriously good) ... yum! yum! - the blueberries come from a little bush bought a couple of years ago, planted in a nice big pot on the patio and has flourished and produced mightily in the last few weeks.
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 3:30 am

Atticus you're a man after my own heart with the blueberries and meringues - I love meringues. There's a raspberry meringue shop in Salthill run by two spanish chicas and my how my mouth waters going in there... Is the creme fraiche not for more savoury dishes though ? I thought it was.

I've been experiencing flaked almonds on my desserts recently which I've found to be quite nice and in spain I had this during a main course: deep fried cheese with a blackcurrant "confiture" and it was desperately delicious, my god. Me and a seven year old child of the people I was with were both looking for the same dessert in another restaurant after so it gets to all ages.

@ Kate P: Tiramisu has to be one of my favourites and here's the receipe (you can throw it all into a bowl together, it'll taste the same anyway) Mascarpone, biscuits soaked in some Italian sherry stuff and strong coffee gone cold; a dusting of something for the top - coffee? cocoa? I'm not sure which but just to make up for the lack of detail here's the crowning glory :

The Dessert Thread Whipped-cream

Use any biscuits but goldgrain.

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 3:38 am

Tiramisu needs to me made with lady fingers, Marsala and propper zabaglione.
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 3:47 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Marsala ! That's it, thank you.

(I knew I hadn't got something quite right)
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 3:52 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Marsala ! That's it, thank you.

(I knew I hadn't got something quite right)
It's quite a nice drink from a glass too. I know a lady who was named as such after her parents... well... ahem. She always brings a bottle back from Italy for me.
Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Chili chocolate pudding with orange icecream Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Dessert Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dessert Thread   The Dessert Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Dessert Thread
Page 1 of 1