Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:04 am

It's not difficult French; I spent all day trying to read the first paragraph of l'Assommoir the other day. That put manners on me.

Emm, you're probably a bit close yourself when it comes to French decay. Ye're still looked upon quite well as European neighbours go. A neccessary evil to balance the English. Anyway, a bit of debt instills trust, right?
Back to top Go down

More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 am

I don't know. France seems in decay, Italy seems in decay... In countries like Bulgaria a strong proportion of the young population wish to go away... In Germany generations are not renewed...

Yet I enjoy good standards of living, that's true. Economies are complex, I sense danger but there also positive prospects.

BTW you should not try 19th century novels if you're not already fluent. Try something simpler like a press article about Ireland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 12:41 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Lestat wrote:
The impression I get of Sarkozy's visit is that of a headmaster summoning a few pupils to his study for a stern talking to. He's not even bright enough to see how counter-productive it is. Both sides in the Lisbon debate should ignore his visit.

Yes, agree. One thing we Irish are good at is collectively getting our backs up at the prospect of a sneery little foreign upstart telling us what to do..

So so like the British really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 1:11 am

arnaudherve wrote:
I don't know. France seems in decay, Italy seems in decay... In countries like Bulgaria a strong proportion of the young population wish to go away... In Germany generations are not renewed...

Yet I enjoy good standards of living, that's true. Economies are complex, I sense danger but there also positive prospects.

Do you think that decay can be stopped and reversed, arnaud? I remember reading about la trente glorieuse, the decades after the Second World War when the French economy went from strength to strength and exhibited significant economic vibrance. Do you think it's possible for France to see those sort of days again, where the average growth rate is more 3.5% than 1.5%?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 am

905 wrote
Quote :
It's not difficult French; I spent all day trying to read the first paragraph of l'Assommoir the other day. That put manners on me.

Sod the French, (sorry arnaudherve), and read it in English, marvellous book, possibly the best ever self-help book and way before its time. Little brother is asleep in my study at the moment but will check the translation I have in the morning - a Penguin version, beautifully translated.

No one does decay like Zola... (to tie in with the post above from A-T)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 2:55 pm

Not you inside the furry green suit then arnaudherve? No

I was thinking about Sarko and the difference between him and previously apparently weightier heads of state in France.

The last election between him and Royale had the aura of farce with two loose cannon firing off at the same time.

But in fact Sarkozy I think should be taken perfectly seriously, as should Bush and any head of state - no stupid, agenda-less or un-backed person ever got into that position. Sarkozy' s line is to agressively promote France's international interests, particularly trading interests, at all costs, and anything he proposes in the EU is linked to that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 2:58 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Sarkozy' s line is to agressively promote France's international interests, particularly trading interests, at all costs, and anything he proposes in the EU is linked to that.

Would be nice if we had politicians who were so engaging. farao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 7:53 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Not you inside the furry green suit then arnaudherve? No

How did you guess?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 10:30 pm

fumo fumo fumoffu fumo fumoffu fumoffuru -
Our member TheBear would have enjoyed that furry story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Teddy bear Bunta-kun overtakes the Yakuza any time... Next step: The European Commission buildings in Brussels !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna   More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

More Ferrero Rochers for Richard Boyd Barrett and Patricia McKenna
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: The Open Europe Forum-
Jump to: