Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Pearls.....

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:41 am

I need to buy pearls, can someone tell me something about them? Sets seem to range from 20 euro to 20 thousand. I'm beleagured.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:23 am

johnfás wrote:
I need to buy pearls, can someone tell me something about them? Sets seem to range from 20 euro to 20 thousand. I'm beleagured.

He Johnfa[fada]s - are we talkin' wisdom here or the reel deel? Smile
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:32 am

johnfás wrote:

the most expensive you can afford - because she'll know the difference Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:53 am

Aragon wrote:
johnfás wrote:

He Johnfa[fada]s - are we talkin' wisdom here or the reel deel? Smile

[fada] = Alt Gr + a = á

I think he means the reel deel. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 am

Edo wrote:
johnfás wrote:

the most expensive you can afford - because she'll know the difference Very Happy

No she won't. How would she unless you tell her.

Here's two questions :

1. Why is an Abercrombie tee-shirt 20 dollars, whereas a Pennies one is 2 dollars ?

2. Which of the above 2 tee-shirts are better quality products, in terms of material and assembly ?

This is relevant to the pearl question.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:36 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Edo wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Here's two questions :

1. Why is an Abercrombie tee-shirt 20 dollars, whereas a Pennies one is 2 dollars ?

Economics. The former is a Veblen good while the other is an inferior good. Abercrombie is a luxury item and therefore commands a higher price. The higher price is a symbol of its imputed quality. It would not have the same cachet if sold at 2 dollars.

Quote :
2. Which of the above 2 tee-shirts are better quality products, in terms of material and assembly ?

It depends on which you are looking at and it can vary from batch to batch. I would imagine that the Abercrombi tee-shirt is nominally better made, but not to the extent that the price differential is justified.

Quote :

It is indeed.

@johnfás, have you considered giving your girlfriend some of your mother's pearls which might be a family heirloom or something? It could be romantic while being financially prudent.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 4:12 am

Surprised at your answers AT. 1. Wrong. 2. Wrong. Sad

(According to my experience at least)

Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a qualification)
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 am

Edo wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Here's two questions :

I have to firmly agree with Edo on this one. She will know, it is something wimmin know from their granny's knee. Did you never watch the film "Gigi" ?

Pearls can be natural, cultivated ( real, but with human help) or fake ('simulated').

This is an excellent list of ways of telling - LINK

The two ways I would know if pearls are real are the tooth test (a little grittiness in the real pearl, when rubbed on a tooth) and the sun test - in bright sunlight, if the pearls all look exactly the same colour they are almost certainly fake.
I would know also by the weight, and the way they warm up on your skin when you are wearing them. If they are knotted between each pearl and on a gold clasp then they are less likely to be fake.

Sometimes you see a sign in a jewellers saying "genuine simulated pearls". Smile They can be very good and Swarowski's claim to be the best, being layered around a little crystal, and the right weight.

Cultivated pearls are real, but the process is started and controlled commercially.

Antique pearls can be beautiful but their condition depends a lot on how they have been looked after. Pearls like to be worn, and pearls that have been left for years in a box can look a bit sad.What to buy depends on who you are giving them to and what your budget is.

If I was getting pearls as a gift I would prefer to get a single real pearl on a chain, or a bracelet of tiny seed pearls, than a three row imitation pearl necklace for the same price. But if someone wanted a gorgeous piece of costume jewelry that packed a bigger punch, if you can afford it go for Swarowski or a similar good quality piece with a gold clasp.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:53 am

P.S.

Real pearl earrings are of course much more affordable, as you are only talking about two pearls.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:00 pm

I am not a great fan of gems and pearls. They are lost on me I am afraid, but if you want jewellery go to somewhere like Agra and they will make up whatever you want a lot cheaper than here. It is where a lot of Ratner's goods were made. BUT you need to know what you are about as there are con men everywhere. I have had jewellery, silverware and the like purpose made there as special gifts. It is a good place for gold, silver and gems and high value wood products, though can't recall pearls.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:09 pm

My favourite pearls are three tiny mussel pearls I found on the bed of the river, a quarter of a mile upriver from my house. If you like Johnfás you could go pearl diving in Ireland.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:54 pm

Eah? How am I wrong? A&F is a luxury good and it would be nominally better than their Penney's equivalent.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Eah? How am I wrong? A&F is a luxury good and it would be nominally better than their Penney's equivalent.

Eh..forgive my blunt rejection of your comments AT. I was on the sauce....

There's loads of A&F in my house now, and having examined it, I find the quality of cloth and assembly to be rather poor in general. The price is a massive exaggeration of the real product value, based mostly on the fact it has an A&F label than anything else.

It sucks, but the kids want it, and so be it.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind EVM but A and F would spend more on marketing, design, shop premises, staff and so on. They also seem to spend a bit on "aging" fabrics. That must cost money, in the same way as taking the alcohol out of beer apparently adds to the cost.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Eh..forgive my blunt rejection of your comments AT. I was on the sauce....

You are forgiven my child...

Quote :
There's loads of A&F in my house now, and having examined it, I find the quality of cloth and assembly to be rather poor in general. The price is a massive exaggeration of the real product value, based mostly on the fact it has an A&F label than anything else.

Well this is where the classical economic model runs into some difficulties where the assumption that consumers are rational runs into difficulty. It is the high price which confers psychological quality regardless of the physical quality of the good.

Quote :
It sucks, but the kids want it, and so be it.

Hmm, amen indeed.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 5:45 pm

Quote :
Well this is where the classical economic model runs into some
difficulties where the assumption that consumers are rational runs into
difficulty. It is the high price which confers psychological quality
regardless of the physical quality of the good.

Yes I suppose. But personally I don't do psychological quality. Razz
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 5:48 pm

Quote :
Well this is where the classical economic model runs into some
difficulties where the assumption that consumers are rational runs into
difficulty. It is the high price which confers psychological quality
regardless of the physical quality of the good.

Yes I suppose. But personally I don't do psychological quality. Razz

Righteo. You should just try cheap imitation A and Fs.
Back to top Go down

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 pm

I bought somebody I love dearly a pair of black Tahitian pearl earrings for christmas. They cost a not so small fortune. The loved one managed to wear them for less than one day before parting company with one, never to be seen again. 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pearls..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearls.....   Pearls..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Pearls.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Chatter-
Jump to: