Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Why I Voted Yes

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Edo wrote:

no drinkies - just in a slighty narky mood after having the mother of runs ins with a cerebrally challenged but power crazy American Customs person scratch

Fecking eejit!!!

Oh, I got that from your post. The lack of French ladies and what they might do to a rebellious male Irish no voter informed well enough on that!

If you're having troubles with them feckin' Americans, just breathe in the stress and then exhale. That way, the stress levels can be contained and you can remain your brilliant self!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Are you writing from a mobile phone Edo ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I enjoyed that.

As somebody who also negotiates tortuous documents and deals long after the principals have shook hands and slapped each other on the back I have great sympathy for your feelings. However, one must always accept that the client is the client and the shareholders are the shareholders - it's their money, their assets and their risk. If you do not properly communicate what is going on in negotiations while negotiation are ongoing then you always run the risk of the deal unravelling when the principals have to put pen to paper.

I was in favour of the Treaty too, and I would not be too upset if we were asked to vote again (I think it would be defeated) as we cannot just give the rest of the countries the two fingers. Also, if we cause a major bockage this time I think future treaties may be drafted so as to leave those who have to deal with referenda to take it or leave it. Histrionics about the Governments reaction are deeply unfair imhp.

Agree 100% Zhou - The political parties have a lot to answer for - no canvassing done in over 90% of the country by the Yes Camp according to my friends in low places.

With the economy experiencing turbolence - voters wanted the poliitcos on the doorsteps to listen to their concerns ,hold their hands explain the treaty and reassure them.

How was that so hard to do - and how come of us were able to do this - and when the Top man says he hasnt even read the treaty.................. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Are you writing from a mobile phone Edo ?

Nah - a clapped out and abused antique of a laptop on a deserted production floor which we converting into an indoor 5 a side soccer pitch (Hell might as well be doing something productive with the place - if it turns out anyway decent might advertise and charge Very Happy )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Edo wrote:

Agree 100% Zhou - The political parties have a lot to answer for - no canvassing done in over 90% of the country by the Yes Camp according to my friends in low places.

90%!? Shocked The margin wasn't that big between Yes and No. If the politicians had simply canvassed that bit more of the country, they could've easily swung it for the Yes side.

Quote :
With the economy experiencing turbolence - voters wanted the poliitcos on the doorsteps to listen to their concerns ,hold their hands explain the treaty and reassure them.

Exactly, the personal touch is far more powerful and compelling than some aloof and imperious poster. People heard all sorts of stories from their friends and family about provisions in the Treaty and that's where the mis-information and distraction was embedded into the electorate. A good face-to-face canvass would've rooted that out and swung it.

Quote :
How was that so hard to do - and how come of us were able to do this - and when the Top man says he hasnt even read the treaty.................. Evil or Very Mad

Exactly, what an own goal Cowen scored when he said that. It was politically clueless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Edo wrote:

Exactly, what an own goal Cowen scored when he said that. It was politically clueless.
An own goal indeed. Bertie would never have let that one through; imagine it:

Interviewer: Have you read the entire Treaty.
Bertie: I have read the Treaty, yes.
Bertie: I cannot think of any parts I have not read.
Interviewer: So you are saying you have read the entire Treaty?
Bertie: I negotiated the Treaty.
Interviewer: So you've read the whole thing?
Bertie: I have studied the Treaty in detail and, in fact, many provisions of the Treaty were drafted by our own Civil servants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 7:09 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

An own goal indeed. Bertie would never have let that one through; imagine it:

Bertie: I have read the Treaty, yes.
Bertie: I cannot think of any parts I have not read.
Interviewer: So you are saying you have read the entire Treaty?
Bertie: I negotiated the Treaty.
Interviewer: So you've read the whole thing?
Bertie: I have studied the Treaty in detail and, in fact, many provisions of the Treaty were drafted by our own Civil servants.

Yep, that sounds like Bertie, Zhou. He gives the appearance of having intimate knowledge of the Treaty without being caught actually having to say he's read the whole thing.

You'd miss him sometimes, you really would.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I Voted Yes   Why I Voted Yes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I Voted Yes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2