Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 2:06 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Incognito? Suspect

Like Cogito, only cheaper!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 3:18 pm

cactus flower wrote:
"How can I tell if I'm really real?
How can I tell I'm not dreaming?
Just lop off the top of your nearest toe
And wait for the sound of the screaming".
Very Happy I hadn't heard that one. But maybe Dr Johnson had it in the back of his mind when he kicked the stone, saying "I refute Berkeley thus!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Incognito? Suspect

Cogito would be a good soubrequet for a smartypants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 5:38 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Incognito? Suspect

Yes, it would cactus. Philosophy is so much fun!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 5:48 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I'm certainly less of a smartypants than you are... and I think you mean "sobriquet".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 5:51 pm

soubresauts wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
I'm certainly less of a smartypants than you are... and I think you mean "sobriquet".

Soubriquet, actually. *smug grin*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Noun
Singular
soubriquet
Plural
soubriquets

soubriquet (plural soubriquets)

1. Alternative spelling of sobriquet.

We're all right ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (smartypantses)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 2:17 am

cactus flower wrote:
Noun

Singular
soubriquet
Plural
soubriquets

soubriquet (plural soubriquets)

1. Alternative spelling of sobriquet.

We're all right ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (smartypantses)

I see, so we're both right. That is a nice state of affairs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 9:22 pm

Mod Kate P

The posts from today have all been placed in the holding pen.

Apologies to bystanders who feel that their well intentioned and innocent posts have been removed. To preserve the integrity of the posts, the discussion has been removed in its entirety.

As a site of publication and record, Machine Nation has obligations under a number of Acts. Because of potentially actionable content, comments and discussion involving a number of posters, the posts have been removed until further notice.

At this point it is worth reminding posters of some of those obligations.

A libel occurs when the wrongful publication of a false statement about a person occurs, which tends to lower that person in the eyes of right-thinking members of society or tends to hold that person up to hatred, ridicule or contempt or causes that person to be shunned or avoided by right thinking members of society.

A person can be defamed personally or professionally.

We are also obliged to keep information about posters' private lives private if that information is obtained by us under Data Protection Regulations. Furthermore, it is a common courtesy, or if you like, the natural law of the boards that a person's identity is private unless he or she choses to alter that state. This is the case even if that information is obtained outside of the sphere of this site. It is not the done thing and it will not be done here. Regardless of where a poster garners personal information about another poster who writes under a pseudonym, it is inappropriate and unacceptable to post that information on a website without their express consent. This is universally accepted.

MN is not simply precluded from initiating a libel or indeed, a breach of the Data Protection Act, but action may be taken against the site in a situation where we repeat a libel. We cannot condone breaches of the Data Protection Act, or the outing of posters against their will or the discussion of same and we cannot repeat it or allow its continuance.

Posters, our host and indeed the moderators and publishers can be held liable, as can everyone who repeats a libel.

Should any of the posters involved in this discussion wish to take action, they reserve that right, but this site will not provide a platform for discussion of specific actionable issues involving named posters.

It is also not appropriate for posters to visit the site, repeat what they consider to be libels and leave them here for MN to take responsibility for. Clarification of issues which happen elsewhere can take place elsewhere. MN will not and cannot carry that responsibility. A public discussion, as has been seen in every libel case that has been successfully prosecuted, is singularly unhelpful to solving the problem.

MN in no way wishes to prevent posters from speaking freely but would remind everyone that in doing so, they must be aware that there are considerations to be borne in mind under legislation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 10:06 pm

In two words: no outing.

If anyone needs a refresher course on the Site Charter, there is a link at the top of the portal. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 11:03 pm

Did 905 out me while I was away. Who can you trust anymore
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 pm

youngdan wrote:
Did 905 out me while I was away. Who can you trust anymore

We all know who you are anyway, Ron.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Yes and I have plenty of time on my hands now because the voters here are as thick as bricks. I have a good mind to run for a teachda Daila in Galway East. Look at the 4 Einsteins there if you think I have no chance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 11:27 pm

I would think no such thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 1:21 pm

In sort-of related news..
A list of the BNP members names, addresses, occupations and miscellaneous notes has been published online.
It is causing panic amongst members, including the various civil servants said to be listed.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/18/bnp_loses_list/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 11:02 pm

youngdan wrote:
Yes and I have plenty of time on my hands now because the voters here are as thick as bricks. I have a good mind to run for a teachda Daila in Galway East. Look at the 4 Einsteins there if you think I have no chance.

I mightn`t agree with everything you say but there`s no disputing the presence of grey matter. This would be a serious disadvantage in East Galway. I`d predict that you`d get about nine votes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm

anmajornarthainig wrote:
youngdan wrote:

I mightn`t agree with everything you say but there`s no disputing the presence of grey matter. This would be a serious disadvantage in East Galway. I`d predict that you`d get about nine votes.
I live in Galway East. Very depressing constituency.

3 of the 6 candidates in 1981 ran again in 2007 (and won), which shows you how little things change.
They were:
Paul Connaughtan, Ulick Burke, and Michael Kitt.

1981 : http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=1981&cons=122
2007 : http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007&cons=122
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Before the invention of the secret ballot (Tabellariae Leges) peoples lives were regularlarly in danger for having an opinion which was at odds with the interests of the violent and criminal elite.
As the "law is an ass" and cannot always protect the person, the chance to make a point or put forward an opinion without having to disclose your indentity is in my opinion a fundamental human right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 8:54 pm

The actions of the tallymen - was there an implicit threat there, that if you hadn't voted for the Party, you and your pot hole could go hang?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Absolutely. You could also be kicked off your land. Often the local MP was also the local landlord but always the local landlord supported someone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought   Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pseudonyms on the Internet - Pause for Thought
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2