Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:02 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Riadach, posted this earlier

Quote :
I am 10 years old
Tá mé deich bliana d'aois / Tá deich bliana d'aois agam ?

I am only 10 years old

Níl mé ach deich bliana d'aois ? An eá ?

Is the sentence correct?

Yes it is.

I haven't come across tá deich bliana d'aois agam, but it could be possible.

Alternatively, you could have, tá mé in aois a deich, or tá mé in aois deich mbliana, in which case you would qualify it by saying, níl mé ach in aois deich mbliana.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:27 am

Níl ach deich mbliana agam. How does that sound?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:41 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Strange to my ears, but it may be possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:46 am

riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Really? Somehow it sounds natural to me - might be a Clare/Munster thing? Or maybe it's txt spk?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 1:52 am

riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

How would you say it riadach:

What age ar ya? I'm 10.

What age are ya? I'm only 10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 am

Cén aois thú? Táim deich mbliana d'aois

Cén aois thú? Nílim ach deich mbliana d'aois.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Really? Somehow it sounds natural to me - might be a Clare/Munster thing? Or maybe it's txt spk?

It seems to be very much under french influence. Perhaps, it might then be found in Munster.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 2:20 am

French influenced irish? I didn't know that... Is that why the Cork people say 'la' all the time - "He's over there, la"

"I vomita on Pana last nightla"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
French influenced irish? I didn't know that... Is that why the Cork people say 'la' all the time - "He's over there, la"

"I vomita on Pana last nightla"

Gairdín

Seomra

Tábla

Táibhle

Garsún

Pardún

etc etc. Think of the Hiberno-Normans.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 2:30 am

OK next question:

How big ?
How small?

As in 'How big is Croke Park ? Ist it bigger than Semple Stadium'

How small is that bird?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Two ways really.

Cé chomh mór?

Cé chomh beag?

Or Cé mhéad? Cé laghad?

Cé chomh mór is atá Páirc an Chrócaigh? An mó í ná Staid Semple?

Cé chomh beag is atá an t-éan sin?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 9:59 pm

aon ceisteanna eile?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 10:03 pm

BuachaillBeo wrote:
aon ceisteanna eile?

chomh - how do you say that ? - phonetically?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 10:12 pm

As in 'kho' I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Twisted Evil

(sorry, it was the only nodding face i could find.. there's nothing sinister in my agreement, i promise! Surprised)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 10:37 pm

BuachaillBeo wrote:
aon ceisteanna eile?

Ar mhiste libh léacht a dhéanamh faoin modh coniollach?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 11:08 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
BuachaillBeo wrote:
aon ceisteanna eile?

Ar mhiste libh léacht a dhéanamh faoin modh coniollach?

ah an Modh Coinníollach, good times Smile

though a 'modh' as opposed to a tense, it's just easier to treat it like one if you're learning the language to speak it rather than be an obession grammar freak. It's used for when you'd say 'would' in English, like

I would be
I would go
They would do it

and so on. Verbs are changed with particular patterns in the same way they are for each aimsir, the tenses and that like. I suppose a thing learners might notice in contrast to the aimsirs is that the person is included in the verb itself more often than it is in the tenses (for example -

thóg sé - he took (the 'he' is given by the separate word 'sé')
thógamar - we took (the 'we' part is implied by the way verb ends ('amar'))... in the MC, the 'I', 'you', 'we' and 'they' are all included in the verb change part themselves (so they're all different endings in the verb as opposed to a common ending to show its in the MC and then just flaking on the sibh, tú etc ), so I suppose that's why people might think it's a bit harder.

bheinn - (roughly pronounced 'venn' or 'veng') means 'I would' so it's probably the first bit of the MC you'll learn.

This is probably bad teaching, but in the context of putting a verb into the MC, you can often just get away with pronouncing the séimhiú at the start (like in the aimsir chaite etc) and just pronouncing 'heng' at the end of it to make it 'I would....'. ie -

chuirfinn - I would put - "chwerheng"
thógfainn - I would take/build - "hoge-(h)eng"

that's only a rough pronunciation guide of doing it like, but the more you listen to Irish and that the more you'll pick up the little nuancey bits that you wouldn't be able to write in English phonetics... but no one's going to kill you for pronouncing it that way until then and it's not too far off like, well I don't think so anyway! Wink

if you want to throw he, she, or ye in there then you can just put it like 'huk' (well more like 'ch' like in the end of loch instead of a 'k') and put the sé, sí or sibh there accordingly -

bhrisfeadh sibh - ye would break - "vrish-huch shiv"
d'fhanfadh sé - he would stay - "donhuch shay"

notice if it's a verb starting with 'f', you'd put a d' before it and a h after it, like in the aimsir chaite (past tense)

you can learn the endings like you would in any tense then as well, but I kind of learnt it like that first so that way you can sort of get away with half being able to speak using it before you learn it properly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 pm

How do you express "it was around forty euros" or "it was around 8 o'clock" ?

Is there an expression for "more or less" ?

Tá naoi milliún rothar sa Beijing ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2008 11:26 pm

"a bheag nó a mhór" is "more or less"

I use 'timpeall' for 'around' in those contexts as well... though I might be wrong and everyone has just been too polite to tell me i've been making a mistake all this time.... oh the shame, mór mo náire má tá sé fíor! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 12:38 am

Timpeall and thart ar would do too.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 12:45 am

Doirteal agus cuishneor.

Bhí mé ag helping mó daughter an obair bhaile a dhéanamh. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 am

BuachaillBeo wrote:
"a bheag nó a mhór" is "more or less"

I use 'timpeall' for 'around' in those contexts as well... though I might be wrong and everyone has just been too polite to tell me i've been making a mistake all this time.... oh the shame, mór mo náire má tá sé fíor! Razz
Maybe for 'around' in that context 'thart ar' might work better?
I don't know why but it seemed to come straight into my head when i read your post.
Using timpeall may be correct in terms of direct translation but I don't think it really means 'around' in the same context.

Edit - D'oh, I just saw riadach's post and realised I was too late.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*   Cuid ahhhh, *bíp* - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cuid ahhhh, *bíp*
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Fóram na Gaeilge :: Tús Maith-
Jump to: