Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Your pictures of your local weeds

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySat May 31, 2008 9:13 pm

Can someone remind me Embarassed how to post a photo from my desktop to here? Please and thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 2:17 am

Kate P wrote:
Can someone remind me Embarassed how to post a photo from my desktop to here? Please and thanks.
Yes.

Use the host an image button which is the green screen with the floppy in front of it.
Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Hostan11

Use browse to find your photo and change the size to 640 because it fits better and then press 'upload'. You can then copy the address in the 'image url' box
Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Copyan10

and then you can post it with the 'image' button - the other little green screen.

Let's see your flowers...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 2:22 am

I got rescued earlier by Ard T - thanks though. Will post the flowers in the morning when they're back out. Some of them had closed up by the time I got to it this evening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Kate P wrote:
Noxious weed that is growing wildly in the gravel outside my back door is no 4 and 5 (spreads like wildfire but very easy to pull up by the roots).

It's Herb Robert.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: vetch common hogweed honeysuckle bramble   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Vetch_1

Vetch

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Honeysuckle_2

Honeysuckle

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 CommonHogweed_1

Common Hogweed

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Bramble_1

Bramble

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added tags at head of post)
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 pm

That one you've named Honeysuckle Lestat, I thought that was woodbine ??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 9:49 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Same thing. Or to appear edumicated it's Lonicera periclymenum. Laughing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonicera_periclymenum
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Lestat wrote:

Same thing. Or to appear edumicated it's Lonicera periclymenum. Laughing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonicera_periclymenum

Shocked Ohhhh. So what's that thing I've been calling Honeysuckle all these years. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 11:27 pm

Shocked Ohhhh. So what's that thing I've been calling Honeysuckle all these years. Crying or Very sad

What's it look like?

Unidentified Weeds from the hedgerows of Tipperary

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Weed_1

I like the way this one looks very like the nettles it's growing through.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Weed_2

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Weed_3
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 am

Smashing weeds there Lestat. That first pic has stinger and non stinger (with the flowers) nettles.

The last one has some 'sticky back' weed.

The thing I call honey suckle is a small redish bell shape flower with purplish stamen hanging down. Its a flowering bush I think. You can pull the stamen out and suck the ends for a sweet taste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: fuscia galium aparine goosegrass   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:42 am

Smashing weeds there Lestat. That first pic has stinger and non stinger (with the flowers) nettles.

The last one has some 'sticky back' weed. .

Sticky Backs. Laughing A blast from the past.

Turns out it's Galium Aparine. Interesting medicinal uses too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goosegrass

The thing I call honey suckle is a small redish bell shape flower with purplish stamen hanging down. Its a flowering bush I think. You can pull the stamen out and suck the ends for a sweet taste.

sounds like a fuschia.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Wildfuschia

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added tags at head of post)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 1:31 am

You lot don't know the meaning of weeds, I'm up against natures commandos, the ones that dig in for the long haul.

The weeds around squire hall in order of pestilence;
Toping the charts
1 Sycamore trees. I don't want to be a lumber jack. They even seed into the gutters and that is only the start of it.
2 Japanese knotweed Hateful. (Tip deprive it of daylight and you weaken it eventually but it will even try to grow through concrete paths)
3 Mares tails. Really tough. You need systemic weed killer mixed with turps so it can get into the cells. Not very green but there is no other way of killing this stuff and even then it keeps trying to regain a foot hold.
4 Convolvulus yes the dreaded bind weed. More systemic weed killer.
5 Ground elder. Yes another one where killing the roots is essential.
6 Rhododendron Ponticum
7 couch grass.

Sycamore trees and the cursed Rhododendron seed everywhere and seed in from outside. Japanese knotweed one devil to kill. Mares tail were around long before the dinosaurs so can take just about anything thrown at them and recover.

I have lots of brambles but they are not in the way and are good for wildlife. Easy enough to get rid of if they spread or seed in to where they are not wanted.

If there are children watch the hogweed and particularly giant hogweed . The hairs on the stems contain poisonous sap, which causes blistering and severe skin irritation. If a child decided the hollow stem was something to blow down it could kill them.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 3:27 am

I lost the same post twice here. Must be that Japanese knotweed...

Squire, Jap knotweed was a feature in Jeffrey Archer's book I read last week while getting baked and sloshed in the Riveira. Cool Cool

Yeh Lestat, it's Fuschia I was thinking of, always called it honeysuckle for some reason..

Great stuff on the sticky backs. I never knew the were edible and capable of coffeelike goop. You're the Weed Meister.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: japanese knotweed alliance serpent's tail tails   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 pm

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 JKtarmacred

If you see any young shots like this kill them quick before it gets established.

Here is a link to the Japanese Knotweed Alliance. Yes it really is that serious a problem, forget Afghanistan and Iraq we have a real war on our hands back home.

http://www.cabi-bioscience.org

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added tags at head of post)
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Those shoots look like serpent's tails. I don't think I've ever seen it before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 12:57 pm

It grows to about 3m on long stems and thick clumps and flowers like this.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Jk1

It takes over and the roots go down to hades, so it is impractical to dig it out without heavy machinery. It will even go under foundations and come up in the house. I have tried poison, home made napalm, salt and covering with old carpet and black polythene. It is a war of attrition. You need to be right on top of this one. If shoots appear anywhere get them up imediately. Like all plants it needs sunlight but can sit dormant for a very long time as far as I can gauge.

In the UK they really take it seriously

Legal issues

A variety of laws have been put in place to regulate Japanese knotweed growth in the UK.

According to the Environmental Protection Act (EPA) 1990 controlled waste, must be disposed of at appropriately licensed landfills. Japanese knotweed plant material and/or any knotweed contaminated soil which you discard, intend to discard or are required to discharge is likely to be classified as controlled waste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Japanese Knotweed was a new one on me, Squire. But there was one single stalk growing in the field across the road so I pulled it up this morning and hope that does the trick. Thanks for the picture.

Here's some of your Bindweed which has been domesticated as Morning Glory.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Bindweed_1

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Bindweed_2

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Fireweed_1

Rosebay Willowherb aka Fireweed. This one was introduced from North America in the 19th C.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Ragwort_1

Ragwort. You can be summonsed for allowing this one grow as it is poisonous to cattle and horses. The plants contain alkaloids which damage the liver in small doses and are fatal in large amounts. 23kg of ragwort will kill a cow. The poison survives in the plants that are harvested with hay and silage. Sheep and goats are immune. Ragwort is also harmful to humans. The Cinabar Moth caterpillars love it though (below).

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Ragwort_2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Lestat

Believe me you don't want Japanese knotweed! When the UK regard it and the soil it grows in as controlled waste you know you are in for a battle!

Bindweed; you have my sympathy, it grows in with plants you want to keep and you just can't dig it out. So if you have the patience of Job try to remove all new shoots above ground, perhaps practical in a small garden but not elsewhere NO! You need a weedkiller that kills the roots, if among other plants paint it on to the leaves in dry weather (if there ever is any). Eventually you kill it. Not very Green but how else?

I quite like Rosebay willow herb, it seeds into disturbed ground, but it is easy enough to remove. Not much Ragwort around these parts, as you say a disaster for grazing and the farmland generally in these parts is well managed. If any of it appears I pull it up.

There are a couple of old manky ponds (need work, yet more work) and a bit of a stream but fortunately none of the pond weed or similar, nothing worse than trying to clear out a water course. Himalayan balsam along the banks but life is too short for that one just now. I regard that area with its brambles as my nature reserve or put another way, up to now, nature has beaten me just.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Himalayn-balsam1
Himalayan Balsam

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Hb-seed-pods
The seed pods pop when you touch them, children love it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Stuff that grows on walls.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Stonecrop

Stonecrop

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Ribwort

Ribwort

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 MaidenhairSpleenwort_3

Maidenhair Spleenwort

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 HartsTongue_

Hart's Tongue Fern
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 11:50 pm

Im plagued with bindweed. Nice pictures Lestat - good clean air if the lichen is anything to go by.

I have left some Rosebay Willow Herb growing amongst the roses. Its a pretty pink. I didnt know it was a Yankie visitor.

We have some pink Nepalese stuff at the bottom of the garden. I forget its name. It comes every other year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 20, 2008 12:12 am

cactus flower wrote:
. Nice pictures Lestat - good clean air if the lichen is anything to go by..

Out in horse country. Couldn't get better. Very Happy

cactus flower wrote:
I have left some Rosebay Willow Herb growing amongst the roses. Its a pretty pink. I didnt know it was a Yankie visitor.

It looks really dramatic in a big stand. Hard to believe it's a weed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 1:28 am

This is a wonderful thread - thanks to you all for the pics and the wisdom; Lestat, you're a revelation.

It's nice to see a Buachallán again - the name I've always known for Ragwort.

When I was a girleen my grandfather would go out with a billhook to slash them in the field next to our house. We used to jump over them, our own Buachallán Olympic High Jump. I see very few of them anywhere in the country nowadays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 am

Em, so "Hart's Tongue Fern " looks suspiciously like a cutting I stole from a National Trust cottage holiday in Cornwall a couple of years ago ... now thriving in a corner of my garden at the moment and I love the look of it, yet am I now suddenly supposed to worry about it??!

Am still an enthusiastic learner in all matters horticultural.
Was staying in a National Trust property, a converted pig sty (what would my South Ulster grandparents on both sides have said?!) and thought I was being really crafty taking a "cutting" of the fern in the pig sty wall!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 2:21 am

I'm delighted to be able to bring ye all some more rare wild flowers of the Burren again.

It is an honour to educate you all on this wonderful region with its magnificent flora, scenery and fauna (used to constitute crusty types in their bus but they seem to have headed off to Connemara)

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01010
A daisy.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01011
Bluebells.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01012
Ivy.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01014
A weird thistle (my favourite!)

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01110
A different species of bluebells.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01111
A nice yellow flower.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01112
Very small pink flowers ...

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01113
See !? (no image-meddling was done to achieve the incredibly nano-scale of the pink flowers)

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01114
A mint-like plant like the one I had on my dessert about an hour earlier in Liscannor.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01115
A lovely white flower. A posy probably.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01116
A green fern in a hole in a rock.

Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Dsc01117
Apologies for the orientation but this is the only one I'm not sure about but I think it's the seeds of a "dockleaf" plant which has extraordinary curative properties when you are stung severely by nettles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 am

ah the good old dockleaf, made use of it manys the time at the age of 10-ish, ... see, do kids these days learn these things?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your pictures of your local weeds
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next