Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Your pictures of your local weeds

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Your pictures of your local weeds Empty
PostSubject: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:15 pm

There are some lovely flowers around here in North Clare - have a gawk. (sorry I don't know any of the names)

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00412

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00410

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00411

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00510

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00511

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00512

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00513

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00514

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00515

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00516

Your pictures of your local weeds Dsc00517

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Details
Sony Ericsson W810i with macro switched on for the close ups
Your pictures of your local weeds W810i_product_quality_image_1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:29 pm

Excellent Audi. Some gorgeous weeds in there. That field is littered with money too. I'll add my weeds at the weekend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Those are excellent photos, Auditor. There's great use of the coins to give a sense of scale. Well done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:22 pm

If you were really smrt you could have made it look that that 1c coin was huge and stuck in the wee cave in the last picture.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:27 pm

The white ones are known in my mother's country as Robin Run the Hedge. The yellow ones in the second picture are primroses.
Violets in picture 3.
Noxious weed that is growing wildly in the gravel outside my back door is no 4 and 5 (spreads like wildfire but very easy to pull up by the roots).
I can't name the yellowy alpines, nor do I know the name of the reddish ones - though I've seen them a lot in Glenbarrow. The other purple one I see regulalry in hedgerows.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 1:46 am

cookiemonster wrote:
If you were really smrt you could have made it look that that 1c coin was huge and stuck in the wee cave in the last picture.
Very Happy

kate thanks for that information. Some bollocks tolt me the Burren flowers were unique in the universe and found nowhere else anywhere. No matter, they were all daisies, buttercups and bluebells to me before that. I hadn't got around to names for the red ones yet.

Good f*in' phone eh? Very Happy

Hopefully EvotingMachine will photo his weeds tomorrow - he gave me the idea to do it on the carpet bombing of Meath thread. If he takes some nice photos we can then download the uploads then blow them up and analyse them for the concentration of megapixels Wink .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:12 am

How did you get the photos from your phone to the computer? Did you stick a USB cable into both and let the phone upload them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:20 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
How did you get the photos from your phone to the computer? Did you stick a USB cable into both and let the phone upload them?
USB, yes. They can also be transmitted via Bluetooth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:25 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
USB, yes. They can also be transmitted via Bluetooth.

So you just stick the cable into both and let them at it? I'm not too familiar with that process.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:30 am

You should have a cable with your phone, do you? It will have a USB connection at one end. You plug that in and voila, Vista will pop up the usual window offering you to do stuff to your files. No software downloads or any of that crap. Or go into your phone via My Computer - it will show up there as a removable drive. If it doesn't, open Windows, throw computer out one and the phone out after it.

Some computers come with disk readers or card readers so you can save your pics to your removable phone memory and then take that memory out and insert that into your computer like a floppy disk. Do you remember floppy disks?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:35 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
You should have a cable with your phone, do you? It will have a USB connection at one end. You plug that in and voila, Vista will pop up the usual window offering you to do stuff to your files. No software downloads or any of that crap. Or go into your phone via My Computer - it will show up there as a removable drive. If it doesn't, open Windows, throw computer out one and the phone out after it.

Some computers come with disk readers or card readers so you can save your pics to your removable phone memory and then take that memory out and insert that into your computer like a floppy disk. Do you remember floppy disks?

I do remember...vaguely...it was all quite hazy at the time. Anyway, thanks very much for the help, I might go snapping pictures around the Fair City and stick them up here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:39 am

Do. You can upload them using the button with the little floppy. I'm sure there's a wiki entry for floppies if you younglads are stuck Wink

Are there much weeds in the capital?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:03 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Are there much weeds in the capital?

There are, and they form much of the hierarchy of the Young Green Party! Smile Ahh, but seriously, there would be many weeds in our many parks, from Phoenix to St. Stephen's to Merrion Square.

If I have much time free, I should get taking photos!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:46 am

This article touches on the role of weeds during the famine. i.e people ate them.

Famine and Environment

The Sorrel mentioned is what I was calling 'Sour Bellies' on the other thread. Lovely to eat. Never knew they were a laxative though Shocked

Not to be confused with yellow sorrel or wood sorrel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:59 am

There's maybe scope for a careful 'wild food' thread one day out of this. (use your macros well) That link has a picture of nettles and I thought they were wild mint plants. These I don't know if they are wild or not but in Killarney National Park last year I realised there were loads of mint plants around. They looked and smelled like mint anyway. I'm quite sure they were. It'd be handy to know what kinds of plants are edible in the event of another Famine...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Now try to guess what the site is from this address - it's almost as memorable as ours

http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Eknp/index.htm

Wikipedia says there is water mint in the park but doesn't say anything about whether I should eat it or not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killarney_National_Park#cite_note-Oakwoods-14
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:04 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Some bollocks tolt me the Burren flowers were unique in the universe and found nowhere else anywhere. No matter, they were all daisies, buttercups and bluebells to me before that. I hadn't got around to names for the red ones yet.
I was taught in school that there are species in the Burren that aren't found anywhere else in Europe bar the Alps.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Common Hogweed. Wiki
Earwigs like to rezone them for apartments in the autumn.
We also get the Giant Hogweed in Portmarnock which nasty is stuff.

Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0210

Not your usual variety of Dandelion.

Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0211

No idea. But a proud looking weed all the same.

Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0310

A Noble Nettle, watching out for Spanish Pirates.
Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0311

A funny yoke. Should have taken it from further away.

Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0312

One of them things. Available at your local grass verge.
Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0313

A greenfly's skyrise.

Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0314

Anyone like butter ??

Your pictures of your local weeds Img_0315

Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Thu May 29, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyThu May 29, 2008 5:32 pm

No-one likes my weeds. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyThu May 29, 2008 7:48 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
That thistle is illegal dammnit! I don't care how many aphid live off of it. Does this website condone illegal weed growing now (stop sniggering Mad ). In the national interest Evoting Machine0197, agent orange that whole field. Remember; one year's seeds are seven years weeds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyThu May 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Can ya ate any of em Wink
I was subbing in a school for travellers when I was young and I showed 5-year old Paddy a pitcher of a stork and all he said was "Can ya ate it?"

905 wrote:
That thistle is illegal dammnit! I don't care how many aphid live off of it. Does this website condone illegal weed growing now (stop sniggering Mad ). In the national interest Evoting Machine0197, agent orange that whole field. Remember; one year's seeds are seven years weeds.
O let them be let O let them be let, long live the weeds and the wilderness yet...

Evoting those pitchers are mighty - I like the one with the nettly yoke looking out for the pirates. Now can you post the techical specs of your camera please? I am about to blow the pitchers up to examine the quality of your megapixellation. You'll have to tell me it first though.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyThu May 29, 2008 9:00 pm

What's wrong with a teeny weeny thistle ? Who made it illegal and why? Neutral

The camera is a Canon Ixus 75. But the pitchers have already been reduced to 20% of original.

Long live the weeds indeed. I'll photo the Giant Hogweed and some sorrel at the W/E.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyThu May 29, 2008 9:35 pm

The camera is a Canon Ixus 75. But the pitchers have already been reduced to 20% of original.
What ?? Does that mean they lose pixellisation? Your camera I guess is 10MP? And that's max resolution or something so 5MP normal no? Reduce by 20% that's 4 Mp. How the feck will I count them? Maybe if I magnify by the same factor then your dots will look better or smaller still...

Quote :
Long live the weeds indeed. I'll photo the Giant Hogweed and some sorrel at the W/E.
Now sorrel you can ate, can't you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyThu May 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
How the feck will I count them?

You can count to four million, can't you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds EmptyFri May 30, 2008 1:21 am

What's wrong with a teeny weeny thistle ? Who made it illegal and why? Neutral

Thistles are illegal under the noxious weeds act brought in in the fifties. I thought we'd covered all this in the thread on spraying hedgegrows.

If I were you I'd get of the stash before the department of Agriculture track you down and send in their heavies. We're talking men with pitchforks here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your pictures of your local weeds   Your pictures of your local weeds Empty

Back to top Go down

Your pictures of your local weeds
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next