Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

A Saucy Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

A Saucy Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Does fresh pesto count as a sauce?

Mayo and pickled cucumber.

I don't have, never have and never will have, any great love for Salad Cream. It's name just seems wrong and I don't know what it's made from, It's just off white gloop. There is just something wrong and very ambiguous about the whole thing. NSTY.

Satay sauce is also good.
As is cocholate sauce.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm

Kate P wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Some people think brown sauce is delicious in tea you know, Ard Taoiseach.

But the world is full of people who need their heads and tastebuds examined for terminal malfunction.

You said it, Kate P. As Defender of the Teaological Faith, the practice of putting brown sauce into tea(case in point: Intermission) is a disgraceful, scurrilous and deviant exercise. I'm examining the censures avaiable for such sacrilege. Being trayed is the most extensive punishment which can be doctrinally imposed.

Quote :
I'm with AT on the salad cream though - Chef all the way, especially now that they are no longer owned by Nestlé. Them were tough days, them were.

Oh yeah, but it is great for salad sandwiches, isn't it? It's really tasty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
So what's tartare, kate p?

And nobody mentioned tzatziki or any of that fancy kind of stuff yet. Sauces with cream yum yum yum

Delia Smith's Very Quick Homemade Tartare Sauce
(serves two and keeps in a screw top jar in the fridge for up to a week)

In your blender break in one large egg, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, one small clove of garlic, peeled and smashed and 1/2 teaspoon of dried mustard powder.
Switch on and as it whizzes, add in (at a trickle) - and close your eyes if you're in denial about calories in sauces - 175ml light olive oil.
This should take several minutes.
Add freshly milled black pepper, a dessertspoon of lemon juice, a tablespoon of flatleaf parsley leaves, 4 cornichons (baby gherkin types) and a teablespoon (heaped) of capers. Whizz until the consistency is right for you -chunky or little-bitty. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.

I leave out the garlic because I find it rather pungent when so raw and very unsociable in company - and the mustard too sometimes.

The Red House in Naas - God rest its beautiful soul, used to do the most divinely meltingly tender cod in tempura batter with mushy peas, doorstopper chips and the yummiest tartare sauce.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Kate P wrote:

The Red House in Naas - God rest its beautiful soul, used to do the most divinely meltingly tender cod in tempura batter with mushy peas, doorstopper chips and the yummiest tartare sauce.

Have you seen what they've replaced it with? A hotel about 10 times the size with a god awful modern attempt at recreating the old front of the building.

I mourn the loss of the Red house, and also the Manor Inn.

*sniff*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Yep, it's hideous.

In the old Red House you could wander in of an afternoon and sit for hours over a bowl of decadent risotto and a good book in a comfy armchair by the fire. Expensive people in mismatched clothes would wander by and the creme brulee was so moreish. Fallons in Kilcullen have moved the Red House restaurant to what used to be Berney's but it's just not the same because the atmosphere is so different and the menu has altered so much.

sniff, sniff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:19 pm

Mmmm, yes. It was a good spot. And miles and miles above the place next door which I once made the mistake of having dinner there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:38 pm

It's good to get in touch with your inner line-dancing, spud-swilling trucker now and again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:50 pm

There's mustard in tartare sauce! Since when? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:53 pm

Kate P wrote:
It's good to get in touch with your inner line-dancing, spud-swilling trucker now and again.

I don't think I have an  inner line-dancing, spud-swilling trucker.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:55 pm

What headcase decided capers were edible ?

Carbonara sauce is vile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 11:02 pm

I quite like capers, in a self-punishing sort of way. There's always the sense with that tartness that each one atones for an individual sin. I like them, but there has to be a pay off.

Carbonara sauce hmmm. Didn't someone on p.ie write about having a great secret recipe. I've made it a few times but never have it out with the assumption that I'm going to get anything near the real thing, which I find a bit rich and cloying anyway. It's one of the few things that i don't like more when it's homemade.

Custard, now there's the sauce of the gods - or that vanilla sauce that the Nordies serve with everything that I'd cheerfully (if rather slowly) drink from a pint glass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Recipe for Carbonara - eggs parmesan spaghetti mmmm   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 11:04 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
What headcase decided capers were edible ?

Carbonara sauce is vile.

Are you sure you have had proper carbonara ? There is a horrible thing done in some restaurants which is spaghetti with runny cheese sauce. With a glass of red wine, real carbonara is one of my favourite things. Proper carbonara is made by mixing freshly grated parmesan cheese into eggs in a warm bowl. Then you put hot well drained spaghetti into the mix and stir - the carbonara sauce cooks on the hot spaghetti and should be quite dry and a bit sticky. A little bit of black pepper is all it needs (and the red wine).

Last edited by cactus flower on Thu May 29, 2008 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed name of post to see if it ever comes up in Google search Corrected spelling cf)
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

I never tasted carbonara. I just know by looking at it that it's gross.

What became of Hollandaise ? I never hear of that any more.

Also on my inedible list is horseradish sauce. I mean really..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Saucy Thread   A Saucy Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A Saucy Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2