Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Summer Concert Season

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The Summer Concert Season Empty
PostSubject: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Well Bruce was Brilliant last night - though the traffic was beyond appalling and we were late.

I didn't expect him to play my fave song (I'm on fire) but he didn't do Glory Days or Dancing in the Dark either. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the Seeger Sessions gig in the Point a couple of years ago - even though I hate the Point at the best of times. But he is a terrific performer - almost three hours, virtually non-stop (Nils Lofgren did lead vocals on one song). Max Weinberg has got to be one of the greatest drummers ever and it was a real thrill for me to hear him live.

Final comment is that there is probably a law somewhere against the kinds of things Bruce Springsteen does with his hips. But I won't be reporting him to anyone. Wink

In a couple of weeks I'll be heading to see Radiohead. Husband is nobly coming with me. That's the same day as Bon Jovi. I'd recommend anyone of my vintage (Edo, Audi, EVM, etc) to get to a Bon Jovi gig if you haven't already. Complain all you like about how cool or uncool they were, they are great live and you'll know every song in spite of yourself.

I also hope to get a ticket to Tom Waits at the end of July. I say 'a' ticket because husband will not be coming, much to his chagrin even though he hates TW and complains every time he comes home to hear him on repeat. I think I'll also be able to wrangle a ticket for the Picnic - which isn't too far away.

Anyone else have gigs lined up for the summer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Did too much last year (including a very good Picnic) and am sticking to small stuff. Apart from of course the great Dolly Parton.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyFri May 23, 2008 8:39 pm

what's marley park like for atmosphere? for rock bands etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyFri May 23, 2008 8:40 pm

did dolly parton re do her cancelled gig last year?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyFri May 23, 2008 9:27 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
what's marley park like for atmosphere? for rock bands etc

I saw Morrissey there two years (?) ago. He was an arrogant shit and played an obscure and eclectic if very lovely set. But the atmosphere was pretty awful. I'm not sure if it's any different to the Phoenix Park. I felt we were rattling around in too big a space. But that particular gig hadn't been anywhere near capacity.

A lot depends on the audience, the weather and the ability of the performer to know the expectations and needs of the audience and to go some way towards meeting those needs regardless of the venue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:27 pm

I think the best I remember were Prince at the RDS and REM at Slane.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:51 pm

which castle or big house is going to open up as concert venue this year?

remember the barbara streisand hoohah last year, oh no grass and muck and rain, what will we do?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySat May 24, 2008 12:50 am

Hmm, sounds like I'm much the same vintage Kate!

... so it goes without saying that I have my tickets for the Yazoo reunion concert in the Hammersmith Apollo Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySat May 24, 2008 3:02 am

Yazoo - weren't they great?! I've got at least one relatively recent Alison Moyet album - I've always loved her voice; it's so mellow and rich beside the plastic synthetics of Vince Clarke's keyboard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySat May 24, 2008 3:05 am

Alison Moyet is a legend. And the Communards too. Are they still alive?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:25 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Alison Moyet is a legend. And the Communards too. Are they still alive?

I'm sure I saw Richard Cole on some religious prog. few weeks ago with a dog collar on him Shocked. Revd Richard Cole

Have seen Jimmy Somerville perform at private charity functions a number of times over the years and he's still the same as ever. A brilliant performer, does absolutely sterling work for charity, dead sound guy and just try keeping your feet still once he starts singing.

Alison is indeed a legend. She whipped up such a storm during "Raggle Taggle Gypsy" in the RFH last year, it's a wonder they didn't have to repair the roof.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:31 am

We can all enjoy Bon Jovie Kate...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:33 am

Depending on the wind I can hear concerts from the RDS and Marley Park from my bed. I could hear Bruce on Thursday night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:36 am

I heard Bruce once singing from Wembley Stadium across the roofs of London - I went the next night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:41 am

johnfás wrote:
Depending on the wind I can hear concerts from the RDS and Marley Park from my bed. I could hear Bruce on Thursday night.

I could hear him from the smoking terrace last night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 12:41 am

IF you know where to go around Marley you can see them all free anyway.I sat with friends with a few cans and watched Meatloaf for nothing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 1:13 am

This is good: next time perhaps you could provide a video feed to the site. We have a friend with a flat with a balcony backing direct on to Nolan Park - she's given BBQ's with live Bob Dylan and Paul Simon in the last few years. Wouldn't try swimming the river at Slane though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 2:37 am

I saw Paul Simon at Nolan Park five or six years ago and he was superb. The best gig moment for me was the light fading at the RDS a couple of years ago and Simon and Garfunkel singing the opening bars of Sound of Silence. It sent a chill up my spine and I am not ashamed to say that I had a sniffy old cry for myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 2:55 am

Kate P wrote:
Well Bruce was Brilliant last night - though the traffic was beyond appalling and we were late.

I didn't expect him to play my fave song (I'm on fire) but he didn't do Glory Days or Dancing in the Dark either. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the Seeger Sessions gig in the Point a couple of years ago - even though I hate the Point at the best of times. But he is a terrific performer - almost three hours, virtually non-stop (Nils Lofgren did lead vocals on one song). Max Weinberg has got to be one of the greatest drummers ever and it was a real thrill for me to hear him live.

Final comment is that there is probably a law somewhere against the kinds of things Bruce Springsteen does with his hips. But I won't be reporting him to anyone. Wink

In a couple of weeks I'll be heading to see Radiohead. Husband is nobly coming with me. That's the same day as Bon Jovi. I'd recommend anyone of my vintage (Edo, Audi, EVM, etc) to get to a Bon Jovi gig if you haven't already. Complain all you like about how cool or uncool they were, they are great live and you'll know every song in spite of yourself.

I also hope to get a ticket to Tom Waits at the end of July. I say 'a' ticket because husband will not be coming, much to his chagrin even though he hates TW and complains every time he comes home to hear him on repeat. I think I'll also be able to wrangle a ticket for the Picnic - which isn't too far away.

Anyone else have gigs lined up for the summer?

Well if you were at the Friday night show instead of the Thursday you would have heard Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark. Where does he get his energy? And what a collection of musicians. Lofgren was like a Whirling Dervish at one point. Wonderful.

Neil Young next up for me.

Hope you get your Tom Waits ticket!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks, He3.

Yeah, I heard from someone else who was there on Friday night that he had done both of those tunes. Ah well... I'll just have to see him again someday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptySun May 25, 2008 7:13 pm

He spoke about how in the last eight years the US has moved away from the values he learned it stood for when he was growing up. He gave rendition and suspending habeas corpus as examples. This was by way of his intro to

Living in the Future

A letter come blowin' in on an ill wind
Somethin' 'bout me and you
Never seein' one another again
Yeah, well I knew it'd come
Still I was struck deaf and dumb
Like when we kissed, that taste of blood on your tongue

Don't worry Darlin', now baby don't you fret
We're livin' in the future and none of this has happened yet
Don't worry Darlin', now baby don't you fret
We're livin' in the future and none of this has happened yet
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:27 am

Was there on Friday myself. What a performance. What a legend. Great to hear Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark, but I think the older stuff was the best, especially Night, She's the One and Prove it All Night. Oh, and Trapped. And Jungleland. And the new songs are brilliant too. Oh, the entire concert was simply amazing.

Prince is next up for me. I saw him in the Point a few years ago, and he was great. But it'll take something special to come even close to Bruce!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:47 am

Anyone catch Prince in the RDS? One of the best Ive been to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:54 am

Is Bruce playing again tonight? Can hear him if he is... can't make out any of the songs this time though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season EmptyMon May 26, 2008 12:57 am

Yep, he's on tonight - last night. He didn't do Jungleland on Wed either that I recall. We were a little late but could hear the start of the show, even though we were still trudging across Herbert Park.

Maybe he has a different set each night? He did talk, as you say, He3 about how he hardly recognises the country he lives in now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Summer Concert Season   The Summer Concert Season Empty

Back to top Go down

The Summer Concert Season
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next