Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Giving out about Hiberno-English

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:56 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Banjaxed, segotia, bowsie and fluthered are all Hiberno-English words I can think of.

Ah Fluther

Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 Fluther

How'ya Mrs Gogan?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 am

johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Banjaxed, segotia, bowsie and fluthered are all Hiberno-English words I can think of.

Ah Fluther

Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 Fluther

How'ya Mrs Gogan?

Yeah, I did the Plough and The Stars for English for my LC and that is a classic example of pure Hiberno-English.

"Do be" is another Hiberno-English turn of phrase like, "I do be going to the supermarket."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:06 am

Gobshite, gobsheen and eejit are more examples of Hiberno-English.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:14 am

Stukaun and ludramaun are what people get called around here if they don't move fast enough. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:16 am

cactus flower wrote:
Stukaun and ludramaun are what people get called around here if they don't move fast enough. Shocked

And ludramaun is usually contracted to a simple, "looder" isn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 2:11 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Well technically Liúdar is expanded to Liúdramán.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 2:12 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Segotia is of french origin as far as I am aware.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 2:23 am

riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Whats the plural form Riadach?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 2:59 am

Liúdair, and Liúdramáin.

The only pronunciation difference in each is that the final consonants are palatised. That is to say the consonants are slender. Now, I'm sure many on this site will be unaware of the existence of broad and slender consonants, as they will only have heard of broad and slender vowels. Each consonant in Irish, however, has at least two distinct sounds, one velarised one palatised. L and N, in fact, have three.

Last edited by riadach on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : replaced broad nouns with broad vowels.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 3:05 am

riadach wrote:
Liúdair, and Liúdramáin.

The only pronunciation difference in each is that the final consonants are palatised. That is to say the consonants are slender. Now, I'm sure many on this site will be unaware of the existence of broad and slender consonants, as they will only have heard of broad and slender nouns. Each consonant in Irish, however, has at least two distinct sounds, one velarised one palatised. L and N, in fact, have three.

uh huuh Wink ( Question )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 3:13 am

cactus flower wrote:
riadach wrote:
Liúdair, and Liúdramáin.

The only pronunciation difference in each is that the final consonants are palatised. That is to say the consonants are slender. Now, I'm sure many on this site will be unaware of the existence of broad and slender consonants, as they will only have heard of broad and slender nouns. Each consonant in Irish, however, has at least two distinct sounds, one velarised one palatised. L and N, in fact, have three.

I suppose not many spent their sundays listening to Micheál Ó Sé on RnaG trying to determine exactly how he pronounces his dental stops. Dental stops are pronounced differently in each dialect, and in Conamara, the pronunciation amongst men is different from women.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 4:20 am

riadach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
riadach wrote:
Liúdair, and Liúdramáin.

I suppose not many spent their sundays listening to Micheál Ó Sé on RnaG trying to determine exactly how he pronounces his dental stops. Dental stops are pronounced differently in each dialect, and in Conamara, the pronunciation amongst men is different from women.

And would they also depend on the cut of one's dentures ? rabbit
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 4:30 am

cactus flower wrote:
riadach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
riadach wrote:
Liúdair, and Liúdramáin.

And would they also depend on the cut of one's dentures ? rabbit

I've never thought about that, but yes, absolutely lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 5:32 pm

riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Really? I didn't know that and, on further reflection, it actually makes a lot of sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 5:33 pm

riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

That would also make sense. Blather is another word germane to the Irish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:18 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Hiberno-English. I'd go as far to say that it drives annoys me terribly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
riadach wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

That would also make sense. Blather is another word germane to the Irish.

Bladar may indeed be an english word. Much like crack I imagine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:26 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Hiberno-English. I'd go as far to say that it drives annoys me terribly.

It seems to me to be halfway house for those who just couldn't be arsed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:28 pm

So what about compound expressions and phrasal verbs - "giving out", "making a show" (as in 'complaining with indignation' or 'lamenting inconsolably') - are some of these expressions derived from Irish do you think riadach? What about "the cut of him" or "the face on him"? Any ideas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
So what about compound expressions and phrasal verbs - "giving out", "making a show" (as in 'complaining with indignation' or 'lamenting inconsolably') - are some of these expressions derived from Irish do you think riadach? What about "the cut of him" or "the face on him"? Any ideas?

Giving out is certainly to be found in Irish. However, where one finds difficulty is deciding did they move from Irish to English or were they in a colloquial form of English that then moved into Irish. I haven't heard of anything like making a show though. The last two would seem to be Irish phrases given the use of the preposition for descriptive purposes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:46 pm

riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Giving out is certainly to be found in Irish. However, where one finds difficulty is deciding did they move from Irish to English or were they in a colloquial form of English that then moved into Irish. I haven't heard of anything like making a show though. The last two would seem to be Irish phrases given the use of the preposition for descriptive purposes.

Not even "making a holy show of himself" drunken jocolor ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 pm

cactus flower wrote:
riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Not even "making a holy show of himself" drunken jocolor ?

It very well could be, but I have never come across it. One has to take into account the thousands of local dialects that were lost 150 years ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 am

Some more idiomatic slang terms and colloquialisms.

My grandmother had some good ones. "A Dropper" was "a big disappointment" and another way of saying someone got a negative surprise was "they got a suck-in" ? Maybe these things come from Irish or Viking or something and are corruptions of the original sounds.

Another thing I've noticed is that people say they are "creased" if they are exhausted after some exercise like a run or some vigorous work. A Tipp guy I knew would use it to express the same as "to lamp someone" - "he creased him" and can be used transitively and intransitively - "John creased Mary"; "Mary was creased by John".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 10:47 am

The Tipp guy has the same use of 'crease' as I'd be familiar with here - it was most regularly used in my recollection in the context of bashing someone against the walls of the gym when playing indoor soccer in school. I ain't sporty so I haven't heard it much since.

To 'lamp' in this part of the world means to throw.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 11:17 am

riadach wrote:
Liúdair, and Liúdramáin.

The only pronunciation difference in each is that the final consonants are palatised. That is to say the consonants are slender. Now, I'm sure many on this site will be unaware of the existence of broad and slender consonants, as they will only have heard of broad and slender vowels. Each consonant in Irish, however, has at least two distinct sounds, one velarised one palatised. L and N, in fact, have three.

Would be able to give us an approximate spelling of the sounds for L and N? What are velarised and palatised? What a fascinating thread - I've never heard of any of the words being talked about here. Would 'langer' (foolish person) be an example of what you're talking about? Used to be all the rage when I were a ***** in Cork: 'Go 'way ya langer!' But I don't think I've heard it all in recent years.

Last edited by cactus flower on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To maintain gender uncertainty - I change it back if you ask, Aragon - cf)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giving out about Hiberno-English   Giving out about Hiberno-English - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Giving out about Hiberno-English
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next