Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions Empty
PostSubject: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:20 pm

It's been around on this site for a while thanks to EvotingMachine0197 and I think it's very nifty and am pointing it out here in case you hadn't seen it before.

And this is the thread where you can post and coo about all the fancy things that awe you about websites (especially this one Wink)

All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions Mnewsf11

All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions Mnewsf10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:38 pm

It a bit squashy here in the middle here Auditor General. But I'm sure you have everything well in hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm

The Safety Inspector says that the Road Works sign is needed in case visitors get motion sickness.
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:55 pm

What's happening? I'm putting some links to the left only - is it going all funny on ye or what?
Back to top Go down
https://machinenation.forumakers.com

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:01 pm

AuditorGeneral wrote:
What's happening? I'm putting some links to the left only - is it going all funny on ye or what?

I like the links. The outer two columns were getting wider and the middle one not, with a consequent squashed feeling. Is there room for a wider middle column?
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:03 pm

It's the same for me - there was no change in the width of the columns. Has it reverted back or anything?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Right hand column is wider - sticking out beyond toolbars.
Other two back to normal.
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:07 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Right hand column is wider - sticking out beyond toolbars.
Other two back to normal.
If it's not too upsetting for you I'll leave it until later because I can't see how the right hand side would be jutting out now. Must have something to do with Microsoft..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Definitely bloomin' Microsoft.
Back to top Go down
AuditorGeneral
Blastocyst
AuditorGeneral

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Is it any way better? I figured out it wasn't Microsoft but Forumotion.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:46 pm

I don't see anything wrong..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:48 pm

Its looking perfect now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 4:34 pm

I'm just after finding out that you can change the language used on the Machine Nation. I had great craic with the website in Farsi!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Did we ever get the blogs up and running properly? I just had a look at mine - such as it was, and am keen to get it going again but not in the format it's in now.

Would I be as well off, bosses, to go to Wordpress or Blogspot and just link to here?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Kate P wrote:
Did we ever get the blogs up and running properly? I just had a look at mine - such as it was, and am keen to get it going again but not in the format it's in now.

Would I be as well off, bosses, to go to Wordpress or Blogspot and just link to here?

I think what happened was that there were problems with the group blogs function as set up by forumakers - there were issues about who could access blogs and so on. I was thinking it would be good to get this going too. It would be nice to be able to offer a facility for members to have their own blogs. The simplest thing might be to start a forum in which the person who makes the Opening Post is given admin powers over the thread. These threads would have a no nested response rule. We already link any blogs that members have set up themselves to the Portal. Shall we call on any blogsperts here to see if there is any other approach? I hear Wordpress is good if you wanted to set up your own blog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Does anyone ever look at the 'Who's Online world map? I looked at it last night, there were people on the site from Ukraine, Manila, several places across America, etc. Since then there have been people on from Spain, India, and Norway! Mad stuff! Hello to you all...

One quibble. My arrow has me living somewhere up in Knocknaheeny/Sunday's Well direction, when I in fact live at the Lough. Why is that, is my IP routed through there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:11 pm

It's probably that TA. I'm often portrayed as being in London when I'm in Wexford.

Two queries;

1) The really snazzy looking MN in the picture in the OP - is that how we're supposed to see the site now or is it more a depiction of what's planned? Because I don't see that.

2) Is Audi#9 now AuditorGeneral, and why?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:21 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
Does anyone ever look at the 'Who's Online world
map? I looked at it last night, there were people on the site from
Ukraine, Manila, several places across America, etc. Since then there
have been people on from Spain, India, and Norway! Mad stuff! Hello to
you all...

One quibble. My arrow has me living somewhere up in
Knocknaheeny/Sunday's Well direction, when I in fact live at the Lough.
Why is that, is my IP routed through there?
I never look at it
but yeah that seems to be the internet for you - totally viral. And yeah your IP is where your ISP is.

evercloserunion wrote:
It's probably that TA. I'm often portrayed as being in London when I'm in Wexford.

Two queries;

1) The really snazzy looking MN in the picture in the OP - is that how we're supposed to see the site now or is it more a depiction of what's planned? Because I don't see that.

2) Is Audi#9 now AuditorGeneral, and why?
That screen used to be how the site looked but for some reason EVM wanted it changed so it got changed. I thought it was ok.

AuditorGeneral is the Root Admin account and isn't really used. It's good practice not to sign in to a system as root really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:37 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
Does anyone ever look at the 'Who's Online world map? I looked at it last night, there were people on the site from Ukraine, Manila, several places across America, etc. Since then there have been people on from Spain, India, and Norway! Mad stuff! Hello to you all...

One quibble. My arrow has me living somewhere up in Knocknaheeny/Sunday's Well direction, when I in fact live at the Lough. Why is that, is my IP routed through there?

I've had a look from time to time. Its improving my geography no end. We have a regular visitor based in the Kremlin (not joking), and of course there's Israel. I'd say at least a quarter of our visitors appropriately enough are machines set off automatically by key words or phrases. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Quote :
AuditorGeneral is the Root Admin account and isn't really used. It's good practice not to sign in to a system as root really.
Indeed, something I know well from my use of Linux. A lesson learned the hard way... several times affraid

Damn shame about EVM's questionable taste in website appearances. I think it looked cool, very KDE-esque mind so it may have invoked the revolutionary spirit in me.

Last edited by evercloserunion on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:42 pm

cactus flower wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

I've had a look from time to time. Its improving my geography no end. We have a regular visitor based in the Kremlin (not joking), and of course there's Israel. I'd say at least a quarter of our visitors appropriately enough are machines set off automatically by key words or phrases. Shocked

I'm going to test it now. Israel Hamas Hizbullah Islamofascism Zionazi Zionist Palestine baby-murderers ...

Let's see...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 pm

Insane, a user popped up in northern Israel, near the Lebanon border, while another one turned up in north-western Iran, right next to the Iraqi border...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:55 pm

How do we get the Kremlin lad to check in?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:58 pm

I also saw Kate's inquiry about her blog. I am aware that you can have stand-alone blogs (like Wordpress, Blogspot etc) which allow several different bloggers to write to the one blog. I wonder how many posters on MN have low-key blogs or blogging ambitions. If that number is more than two or three, I further wonder if it would be feasible or desirable to set up a "MachineNation" blog which various MN posters can use as their personal blog. If such a system were established I think it could produce interesting results.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 pm

cactus flower wrote:
How do we get the Kremlin lad to check in?

Let's see. Putin Gazprom oligarchs human rights abuse Moscow corruption murdered journalist Georgia invasion Russian Stalin ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions   All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions Empty

Back to top Go down

All The Lovely Fancy Web-Site Functions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next