Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month Empty
PostSubject: Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month   Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:18 pm

After a few suggestions for Post of the Week/month I'd like to start collecting a few for this week/month starting with ibis' one in the Lisbon Yes/No thread. We can use this thread for now but maybe we'll make its own forum in time if needs be.

I'm putting it in Vibes and Scribes because it's more about the art of writing than about specific content.

Please post any suggestions you might have below and we can go through them at the end of the month and select three or four or more of the best ones.

Click the name to see the post

1. Like a Star @ heaven
Ibis' explanatory post on the European political set-up

2. Like a Star @ heaven

3. Like a Star @ heaven

4. Like a Star @ heaven

5. Like a Star @ heaven

6. Like a Star @ heaven

7. Like a Star @ heaven

We can vote towards the end of the month and we will attach a poll to it. The highest voted will have their post entered in the following box being recorded forever in the annals of the machine nation: Maybe the post could be copied onto a blog outside or on EVMs new blog...?

Post your suggestions for monthly posts below. Post your suggestions for monthly posts below.

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Fri May 23, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month   Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month EmptyWed May 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Although there is a fierce battle there at the moment there is some great posts in the Fallacy of Private Health Care thread. A few contenders for nominations in there so far.

The fallacy of private health care efficiency
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month   Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month EmptyFri May 23, 2008 5:40 pm

I'm nominating chekov's thread, which gives an interesting and insightful description of the history and theory of anarchism.
chekov wrote:
905 wrote:
The idea that people should work is not radical, but I thought anarchism was about breaking old trends. Would people be forced to work?

I would disagree with Vodovnik and Zinn, I think that putting the confusion over the word 'anarchy' directly down to fearful powers is ignoring the history and everyday use of the word. Or have the powers that be corrupted the dictionaries in some sort of Orwellian twist? Certainly Vodovnik's idea that the word is being misused makes no sense to me, as if there were was only one correct way of using the word.

Forgive my insistence on arguing semantics but the thread is supposedly about the misunderstanding of anarchism. I would agree that the status quo is afraid of anarchism, of course they would be! To claim that it is 'true democracy' is a bit strong though, implying that all other froms of democracy are false. What if people want control, as Edo argues? Is that not their democratic wish?

The etymology of the word comes from Athens of the fifth century bc. The archos was the elected leader - although his powers were increasingly constrained as the century progressed, eventually becoming a figurehead. For several years in the 460 b.c.s the records indicate "an archos" - no leader.

The word was introduced into English as a synonym for chaos in the 16th and 17th century (during the period when scholars were consciously attempting to make English less Ango-Saxon and more classical).

In the mid 19th century, the french 'mutualist' Pierre Joseph Proudhon, declared himself an anarchist. This was a conscious attempt to challenge the assumption that "no leader" = chaos. The idea that societies needs a leader with special powers to give orders was and remains deeply embedded in social discourse, to the extent that it's embedded in our language itself. The choice of label was a deliberate attempt to challenge this assumption, as well as a means of indicating how great a rupture anarchism would be with the current system of social organisation.

So, in summation, the 'chaos' meaning was not invented to blacken the names of anarchists - it preceded them. It does, however, embed a particular idea of social organisation in the language itself.

However, that's not to say that there has been no name-blackening. Ever since the anarchist movement emerged in the 1870's, there has been a persistent and sustained effort to smear, vilify and slander its name. It is a tendency which is philosphically and politically more removed from violence than pretty much any other political tendency bar pacifism, yet in our media it is almost synonymous with violence. It is a tendency that tends to attract thoughtful, questioning people, deeply wedded to the principles of education, coopearation and debate, yet it is most commonly associated with unthinking teenage rebellion or some sort of personality defect. The common associations are, more or less, purely the inventions of the enemies of anarchism. You occassionally find somebody who is attracted the the nihilist tabloid image of anarchists and, based upon that, decides to call themselves an anarchist - but that's pretty rare. I've met thousands of anarchists from all over the world and I only remember encountering such people on two occassions ever - such eejits generally don't stick around long anyway.

The strength and depth of the anti-anarchist misinformation is breath-taking. On many occassions, in conversation with others, I've challenged the slanders about anarchists by using myself as an example of what anarchist actually believe and do. I regularly receive a response along the lines of "yeah, but you're not a real anarchist". The amazing thing is that in most of these cases I'm the only effing real anarchist the people have ever met.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month   Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month EmptySun May 25, 2008 3:11 am

https://machinenation.forumakers.com/energy-f51/oil-energy-watch-t211-25.htm#12879

A little favourite of mine recently - Ard Taoiseach casually asks if the high oil price is a bubble which will pop soon ... It hadn't occurred to me before that and is a little eye-opener because a lot of the general feeling is deep gloom and Mad Max-envisaging doom. Maybe I'm enjoying david and expat girl and SPN's threads on here and p.ie too much.

The question makes oil look very ordinary which it is or should be. People survived before without it didn't they? Even though there is 6 times the number of people on the face of the earth now probably as a result of the wealth oil has brought to the people of the planet, we will all survive when it goes, won't we? People are ingenious and will invent ways to get around a lack of oil, won't they...?

Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month   Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month EmptySun May 25, 2008 3:16 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

The question makes oil look very ordinary which it is or should be. People survived before without it didn't they? Even though there is 6 times the number of people on the face of the earth now probably as a result of the wealth oil has brought to the people of the planet, we will all survive when it goes, won't we? People are ingenious and will invent ways to get around a lack of oil, won't they...?

Shocked

Yeah, we did, oil has only been our fuel since the tail end of the 19th Century. We used whale oil, wood, turf and other fuels before, based on our circumstances and what sort of energy we needed.

I feel that energies like hydrogen will be exploited as we pass from the oil age.

It's also my view that the oil price should be at about two-thirds of where it is now. It's gone mad in the oil market and it'll get even more insane before the froth is blown from this bubbly market.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month   Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month EmptySun May 25, 2008 5:40 pm

I'd say we could do with a quote and thread of the month too. I've seen a nice post on the anarchy thread from Hermes regarding other people's and your own politics.

Speaking of Hermes, I'm nominating one of his posts as being a very useful 'under the bonnet' post.

HERE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month   Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month Empty

Back to top Go down

Most informative/useful/interesting post of the week/month
Page 1 of 1