Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:55 pm

I think this issue underlines the difference between Ahern and Cowen. Cowen is a 'scruff of their necks' instinct type of politician whereas Ahern was pretty much the opposite. Personally, I am intrigued at the possibility of a Taoiseach who just might not be so interested in 'consensus at all costs'. Ahern rewarded mediocrity and incompetence and I like to think Cowen might be a different kind of political animal. That said, I think he missed an enormous opportunity with the junior reshuffle.

The most interesting angle in all of this is about how it will resonate with voters. The 35/36% of people who will vote FF no matter what probably won't care but it will be interesting to see how the 'soft support' reacts to this new style. For instance, I have a gut feeling that a lot of female voters will not respond positively to Cowen. The swearing thing was no big deal in the grand scheme of things but if the opposition continue to wind him up (and they will) then it will be very easy to paint Cowen as a short-tempered bully.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:02 pm

All in all, it was a bit of a f**k up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:03 am

He has cancelled the Galway Races tent anyway...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:58 am

johnfás wrote:
Woah, seriously? Mind you, they were fundraising outside my church last weekend. Am I the only one that has a big problem with parties doing this, and the church allowing it? Especially when it's Labour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:04 pm

They tend to collect outside the Church gate though, as opposed to on the grounds, don't they? Not much the Church can do about it in that circumstance. I wouldn't know though, they don't come after us - no interest in Protestant money obviously Razz.

In regard to the tent, as I said on P.ie
johnfás wrote:
It is a welcome move from a PR point of view. However, the real issue is the corporate donations which occur inside the tent and what is done by the party in return for them. Getting rid of the tent doesn't particularly help in lowering the level of corporate donations, it is just a good headline grabber. I'll welcome the move when he bans corporate donations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:05 pm

905 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Woah, seriously? Mind you, they were fundraising outside my church last weekend. Am I the only one that has a big problem with parties doing this, and the church allowing it? Especially when it's Labour.

Its a handy place to pick up small donations - a good thing, but surely a bit public for some. Suits me anyway as I don't go to church.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 12:02 pm

I found this brilliant website for watching every politician ! Kept up to date it seems too ! Another shiny object for the portal !

http://www.politicsinireland.com/category/td/brian-cowen/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 11:54 pm

ttp://euobserver.com/9

There is a video here - top right - that presents Brian Cowen a lot better than he has been represented here, in terms of communicating what the No vote was about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Cowen convinces Beverley Cooper Flynn not to continue taking the Independent Allowance of 40k per year.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Cowen convinces Beverley Cooper Flynn not to continue taking the Independent Allowance of 40k per year.

What ? When ?

LINK RTE.ie

Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add link)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 1:25 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Hurrah for populism!! Victory for the Evening Herald, what a bunch of bankers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:20 pm

tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Cowen was right to put the squeeze on Beverley imho. It must have been hard for her to agree to it given the huge amount she has had to pay in legal costs (it was huge even if RTE agreed to discount it to get the money up front).

I think the next populist move he should make is to demand that all TDs who are scheduled in the future to be entitled to two full state pensions as a result of being on sabaticals should forgo them. If he started with his friend Batt O'Keefe (who I think might be in that position) it would be the opposite of cronyism. Cowen needs to be seen to combat cronyism at every juncture.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Cowen was right to put the squeeze on Beverley imho. It must have been hard for her to agree to it given the huge amount she has had to pay in legal costs (it was huge even if RTE agreed to discount it to get the money up front).

I think the next populist move he should make is to demand that all TDs who are scheduled in the future to be entitled to two full state pensions as a result of being on sabaticals should forgo them. If he started with his friend Batt O'Keefe (who I think might be in that position) it would be the opposite of cronyism. Cowen needs to be seen to combat cronyism at every juncture.

It was a normal allowance to which she was entitled on the basis that for technical reasons she didn’t get it when she was an independent. She has had to give it up because of who she is and because the hypocrites in the media & FG were jumping up & down. Bending to that kind of pressure is never a good idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Quote :
a normal allowance

In terms of global norms, there is nothing normal about remuneration of Irish elected politicians.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:48 pm

tonys wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

It was a normal allowance to which she was entitled on the basis that for technical reasons she didn’t get it when she was an independent. She has had to give it up because of who she is and because the hypocrites in the media & FG were jumping up & down. Bending to that kind of pressure is never a good idea.

I am not sure if that is totally accurate tonys. Correct me if I am wrong.

I understand from the report on www.irishtimes.com that FF got the money while she was an independent during the previous Dail term. The money didn't go missing. It went to FF (correctly - she used their name in the previous election).
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0107/breaking26.htm

According to the report, the money she was entitled to in the current Dail term was not because she missed out previously. It was because she was registered as an independent at the beginning of the Dail term. That has changed.

One other point. Politics is a dirty game and power depends on popular support. Cowen has to forget the loyalty card and the finer principles and start playing to the gallery now. If he doesn't he is pedigree chum. I think he has started boxing a lot smarter over the last 6 weeks or so and I am glad to see it. A pious chump isn't going to get us out of this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

I am not sure if that is totally accurate tonys. Correct me if I am wrong.

I understand from the report on www.irishtimes.com that FF got the money while she was an independent during the previous Dail term. The money didn't go missing. It went to FF (correctly - she used their name in the previous election).
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0107/breaking26.htm

According to the report, the money she was entitled to in the current Dail term was not because she missed out previously. It was because she was registered as an independent at the beginning of the Dail term. That has changed.

One other point. Politics is a dirty game and power depends on popular support. Cowen has to forget the loyalty card and the finer principles and start playing to the gallery now. If he doesn't he is pedigree chum. I think he has started boxing a lot smarter over the last 6 weeks or so and I am glad to see it. A pious chump isn't going to get us out of this.

This situation is exactly the reverse of the last term and if allowed to play out would result, over time, in both parties, FF & Flynn getting the correct allowances, FF being paid last term & Flynn this term, no winners, no losers, just each party getting their entitlements and no more.

If something is right, say so & carry on, if it isn’t right, you shouldn’t have been doing it in the first place, which is the impression created by stopping it now. Not clever stuff, imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Perhaps the most equitable outcome would have been for FF and Flynn to request that the money would go to FF and for FF to agree to repay Flynn the money which it got in the previous term.

However such a solution would have been too complicated for public consumption and would have been represented as FF continuing the arrangement under guise of sophistry. I don't think there is much damage by changing tack now as the money has been sacrificed and nobody has gotten money incorrectly.

I wonder where the PD money goes now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm

i loved her talking (on rte) about how it was her decision and how it did not go to her at all but to upkeep of office while managing to create an image of the poor mayo people being hit personally by this controversy especially in the recession.

i'd like to see invoices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 08, 2009 5:52 pm

I love the cover of The Village - Relaunch. Brian Cowan and Barrack Obama photoshoped together. Brillant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Confusion over what Brian Cowen did or didn't say on the IMF coming to our shores is considered to be a factor in the drop in the Euro rate this week.

IMF restores calm as Cowen confusion causes euro to fall - Indo

Quote :
THE International Monetary Fund (IMF) did come to Ireland's rescue yesterday -- but only to try to undo the damage caused by confusion over whether Taoiseach Brian Cowen had said they might be needed.

Ireland's already battered financial standing took another hit after an RTE report to this effect -- subsequently withdrawn -- fIashed around global financial markets.

Interest rates on Irish Government debt rose, and even the euro itself took a hit, at the prospect of a eurozone country having to call in the IMF, which rescues countries that can no longer pay their way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 am

The Taoiseach has just asked us to mind what we say about the banking system in Ireland, for fear of the terrible damage we might do What a Face

(*don't say IMF dont say IMF don't say IMF don't say IMF don't say IMF dont *)

Last edited by cactus flower on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 12:17 am

Hmmm, indeed. Perhaps the Government should be careful of its own media management before they lecture everyone else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 12:22 am

cactus flower wrote:
The Taoiseach has just asked us to mind what we say about the banking system in Ireland, for fear of the terrible damage we might do What a Face

(*don't say IMF dont say IMF don't say IMF don't say IMF don't say IMF dont *)

Did I just see Anne Doyle get involved in Orwellingtonian censorship ?!

She was talking about the Pin of course, not us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 12:51 am

I pictured it as a major cock-up, with that piece of paper she was handed being headed "for editors guidance only - not to be read out on air."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen   Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Taoiseach Watch: Brian Cowen
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next