Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:36 am

Edo wrote:
Helium Three wrote:
There is a pot of gold this time all right cactus flower - but it has the letters EDA on it.... clown

Hey Helium - where does this obssession with all things with the word "defence" in them spring from?

Seriously?

Its a big decision Edo whether to fight or not. I personally don't think there is an iron law which makes either pacifism or battle-readiness 'right'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:54 am

Helium Three wrote:
There is a pot of gold this time all right cactus flower - but it has the letters EDA on it.... clown

€350K/year we pay the EDA, out of our defence budget of €1.1billion. That's an awfully small pot of gold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:00 am

AfricanDave wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ronald Binge wrote:

I think the next one up is going to be "JESUS DIED FOR YOUR SINS VOTE NO"

We should all contribute money and have a few of those made up.

I would love to see Jesus posters calling for a No vote around town.
Say the word and I'll donate something. Only for posters though - I'm not financing your social lives.
I should just say that I'm as yet undecided on how to vote but no poster is going to convince me to vote either way.

Weird. I was in and around Longford yesterday and was amazed at the number of posters of (what looked to me like) the Sacred Heart - on all roads in and out of the town, as far as I could see. The messages seemed quite innocuous but there may have been something subliminal in the aura that I couldn't see.

Jesus loves me, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:03 am

The only posters I've seen anywhere are in Dublin. There are some on the main roads out of Dublin but other than that I haven't seen any around Wicklow, where I live.
Were the Sacred Heart posters advocating a No vote?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:36 am

"Were the Sacred Heart posters advocating a No vote?"

That question can look very surreal in a certain light What a Face

Last edited by Helium Three on Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:44 am

Kate P wrote:
AfricanDave wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ronald Binge wrote:

I think the next one up is going to be "JESUS DIED FOR YOUR SINS VOTE NO"

We should all contribute money and have a few of those made up.

I would love to see Jesus posters calling for a No vote around town.
Say the word and I'll donate something. Only for posters though - I'm not financing your social lives.
I should just say that I'm as yet undecided on how to vote but no poster is going to convince me to vote either way.

Weird. I was in and around Longford yesterday and was amazed at the number of posters of (what looked to me like) the Sacred Heart - on all roads in and out of the town, as far as I could see. The messages seemed quite innocuous but there may have been something subliminal in the aura that I couldn't see.

Jesus loves me, etc.

That's the Divine Mercy devotion, the latest bit of popular Catholic devotion where if you don't pray the formula the world gets blasted to bits and you get damned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptySat May 17, 2008 10:57 am

radicalcleric wrote:
Hate to be a pedant, though I suppose there's no better place for it Wink

But I believe that the Hello Divorce Goodbye Daddy posters weren't produced by YD, but by the 'mainstream' anti-divorce campaign, led by, amongst others, William Binchy (the man who Ruairi Quinn compared to Hitler). Not sure of WB's stance on Lisbon, but going on his previous politics I would imagine that he's supportive

Sorry, but I'm afraid that's not the case. It was the crazy No Divorce Campaign, as opposed to the 'mainstream' William Binchy one, who used the infamous posters. There was a very good documentary following its three 'leaders' - Peter Scully, Gerard Casey and Rory O'Hanlon - in the course of the campaign shown on RTE several years ago. See here.

Also, Quinn didn't quite compare Binchy to Hitler, but it was a stupid comment nonetheless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptySun May 18, 2008 5:40 pm

Ní fhaca mé póstaer as Gaeilge i gcoinne an chonartha fós ach chonaic mé cúpla cinn i bhfábhar an chonartha ó Fhianna Fáil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Ronald Binge wrote:
There were quite a few Yes posters up in town today, split between Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, IBEC and Alliance for Europe.

Later today, at Heuston Station, two types of Vote No posters were up on the poles, the first one had a picture of the top of the Proclamation and the text read "PEOPLE DIED FOR YOUR FREEDOM VOTE NO".

The second had three monkeys on it and if you were driving you'd crash your car to be able to read the crowded text on it.

On extremely close inspection, in type so small that it was barely legible, the address of Youth Defence in Capel Street was given with a almost illegible campaign name.

So, the Catholic Right gets their oar in first with pole posters.

Listen this is always the case - the No/crank/anti cosmopolitan side always do better posters, generally cos they lie.
Although it was a small print run I joined a few others to do the "Remember this: No Balcks, No Dogs, No Irish." - for the citizenship ref.
And back in mists of time we had Fianna Fail sending operatives scouring every printing press in Dublin trying to track down our quasi-fictitious pressure group SAC . It was a 50/50 poll situation at the time and Charles H got up in the Dail and made a speech about the "sanctity of the family" !!!. Nuala O Faolian (RIP) to her lasting credit got us on Evening Extra (! million viewers) where sat with our first two posters above our heads - Think Thought Kills All Known Clerics Dead (puerile but got massive attention especially as we had the best photographers and artists shooting a toilet bowl from which priests nuns and bishops were falling from under the rim to their deaths) and then the simple "SPUC OFF". We then theatened a third poster which I said would feature a well known politico - obviously CJ - and his mistress with the headline "This Man ***** This Woman and Talks to You about the sanctity of the family."

It's like Paradise Lost the Devil gets the good lines.
The only way to is to beat them is to do their game BETTER. So if any of you out there are (a) rich (b) involved in parties but want deniability (c) good graphic/web designers, photographers. Why not get together and give them a run for their money.

Last edited by cactus flower on Tue May 27, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 5:11 pm

Very Happy Kev is still looking for poster pirates and privateers.
Contact him by pm if you are interested.

Obviously none of you are old enough to remember his last SPUC YOU masterpiece.

bounce.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy   No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

No posters - from the makers of Hello Divorce, Bye Daddy
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3