Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Givin' it all up.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Givin' it all up. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 5:40 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Hi Cookiemonster,

Is it the specific job or the sector in which you are working that is driving you insane?

If it is the sector then perhaps you could retrain and do something else? You could get a nice enjoyable part-time job and do an MA with the rest of your time (Maybe you already have one?).

Nearly every area of post-graduate study assumes huge added value when the primary degree is finance or business based.

I have to say it's not the company I work for nor the people I work with, It is the industry I work in (insurance) that is killing me.

My plan on leaving college was get a mindless job and do an MA or some other further education part time but then I went with the money and the glory and ended up where I am. The plan now is to go back to basics.

I'd move to start a degree in International Relations.

You should definitely consider that. I'm studying for an M.A in a politics based course and I did a lot of research last year on what is out there in terms of politics/international relations etc.

Up until five years ago your options in Ireland would have been limited but there are a few decent courses out there now that you should look into. UCD have an excellent MA International Relations course and it is very well established at this stage. I think DCU is the only third-level in Ireland to offer IR at under-grad level but I would be wary of that option for a number of reasons.

Trinity have an MA Peace Studies that is very highly regarded (its based in Milltown for some reason) although I hear it is very theory based. DIT also has a new course called MA Public Affairs and Political Communication (It's only two years old and involves an internship).

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any info on some of those options.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:10 pm

jmcc wrote:
You could always get a copy of Dreamweaver or Frontpage and get into
the web design business. Though you would be competing with almost
every secondary student on their Summer holidays, half of India and a
pile of locals. Smile

Regards...jmcc

Fuck no! And relive the horror of studying software development... *shudder*

unaligned wrote:

You should definitely consider that. I'm studying for an M.A in a politics based course and I did a lot of research last year on what is out there in terms of politics/international relations etc.

Up until five years ago your options in Ireland would have been limited but there are a few decent courses out there now that you should look into. UCD have an excellent MA International Relations course and it is very well established at this stage. I think DCU is the only third-level in Ireland to offer IR at under-grad level but I would be wary of that option for a number of reasons.

Trinity have an MA Peace Studies that is very highly regarded (its based in Milltown for some reason) although I hear it is very theory based. DIT also has a new course called MA Public Affairs and Political Communication (It's only two years old and involves an internship).

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want any info on some of those options.

Oooh, Public Affairs and Political Communication sounds good.

I'll spend a week looking into this which will at least be entertaining. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:02 am

I've found this website, cookiemonster. Is there anything there which attracts you?

Say hello to Sultan Qaboos Said bin al-Said if you do decide to move. Myself and himself go back a few years. We play drinking games while our under-lings play world leaders at the UN. He's a dab hand at tequila for a Muslim!

14,000th post, yes! Another milestone post to add to my collection!

Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Wed May 14, 2008 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to celebrate the milestonicity of this post!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:14 am

The one thing you will notice from almost all job sites for gulf countries is that they require and hire only the most qualified and most experienced people. I am neither!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:17 am

cookiemonster wrote:
The one thing you will notice from almost all job sites for gulf countries is that they require and hire only the most qualified and most experienced people. I am neither!

Ah now, I'm sure that's not true, I'm sure they'll love to have you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:22 am

I only want to go there because they have Dairy Queen and Hummus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:27 am

cookiemonster wrote:

What about Iran, then? You could help with their PetroEuro Bourse in Kish and pop over to Oman for those delights.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:29 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

What about Iran, then? You could help with their PetroEuro Bourse in Kish and pop over to Oman for those delights.

And have that sex change I've always wanted.

Actually I would love to visit Iran, I have heard nothing but good things from people who have been there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:31 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Only if your gay, and, afaik, you're not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:36 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Actually I would love to visit Iran, I have heard nothing but good things from people who have been there.

Iran is a beautiful country - especially up around the Caspian coastline - its more mellow ,chilled out and cosmopolitan and countryside is lush and fertile

Its one of those rules of the universe - the closer you are to the centre of the desert and drier and dustier the soil - the crazier the inhabitants.

Qom is an experience if you really want to experience the Islamic revolution head on - Tehran is a mad city and if you know the right doors to knock on andthe right passwords - the nightlife is crazier than Bangkok.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:41 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

They put conditions on it? Ah I was rather hoping it was a free for all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:43 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Well, I don't think it's forthcoming for a fine strapping proper lad like yourself. They'll more than likely usher you into the nearest boudoir to go wife-shopping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:48 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

Well, I don't think it's forthcoming for a fine strapping proper lad like yourself. They'll more than likely usher you into the nearest boudoir to go wife-shopping.

I hear they are big fans of pre-marital sex over there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:58 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:

I hear they are big fans of pre-marital sex over there.

Nah - ye'll be grand - they have this thing - oh cant remember the exact word for it - but you can get a "temporary marriage licence" for the weekend or for the hour - as long as it takes you to do the deed - but you will be expected upon "divorcing" to offer compensation - which maybe taken up or not. Like all outwardly sexually repressed societies -they are amazingly inventive at workarounds!

BTW - no virgins dude - a serious no no unless you are prepared to convert and take up life as a goat farmer!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:01 am

Edo wrote:

Nah - ye'll be grand - they have this thing - oh cant remember the exact word for it - but you can get a "temporary marriage licence" for the weekend or for the hour - as long as it takes you to do the deed - but you will be expected upon "divorcing" to offer compensation - which maybe taken up or not. Like all outwardly sexually repressed societies -they are amazingly inventive at workarounds!

BTW - no virgins dude - a serious no no unless you are prepared to convert and take up life as a goat farmer!

Yep, tis like a 3V card, quick, cheap, painless and temporary!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:03 am

I had a bit of a thing with a Muslim lady a while back. There was an awful lot of shaving needed, and some stuff with praying too. I, reluctantly, affected by address from said relationship.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:04 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Edo wrote:

I never got the clap from using a 3V card!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:06 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Edo wrote:

I never got the clap from using a 3V card!

True, and that's why I didn't say exactly!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptyWed May 14, 2008 1:08 am

It's more like a credit card. It's not so cheap, but easy and at the time you just have to swipe it. Then in a few months you get something big, loud and scary in the post and you're stuck with it for ages.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptySun May 18, 2008 2:30 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptySun May 18, 2008 2:46 am

unaligned wrote:
Serve your country Cookie?

I would LOVE to, and I'd do it for half the salary. I applied for the last one and I was there along with the other 35k applicants (or something like that).

I've been on the job sites for the last 3-4 hours. I'm already getting stressed about work on Monday.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptySun May 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Keep going on the job sites Cookie. Your number will come up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:33 pm

I don't trust these recruitment consultant types.

If your client is that f*****g fantastic why don't you bloody well tell me who it is. Or failing that tell me WHERE they are. Morons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givin' it all up.   Givin' it all up. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Givin' it all up.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Chatter-
Jump to: