Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Decline of P.ie?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:20 am

jmcc wrote:
Kate P wrote:
And the personalised threads make my skin crawl - Gayle
Kililea - why?
Because people despise the Sindo "journalists"
and this is the way that they express it? The reality is that most
Irish journalists would never get jobs in real publications in an open
market and are doomed to the mediocrity of the Dublin "media".

It is quite comical to see the number of sockpuppets that pop up defending her and the other Sindo types though.

Regards...jmcc

Do all the good Irish journalists emigrate? I worked in Current Affairs television in London for a while and all the best reporters were Irish. And we had Olivia O'Leary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:22 am

Kate P wrote:

And the personalised threads make my skin crawl - Gayle Kililea - why?

huh, you don't like a thread that specifically about Gayle Killiea, she had huge article based on the idiotic premise that journalist should applaud the speechmaker they are trying to cover. It matters who she is, thats give you clues as to why she wrote it and how it was allowed to be published.

the practicce of long keeping threads long doesn't allow people to join the discussion.

Last edited by lostexpectation on Tue May 06, 2008 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:25 am

Quote :
huh, you don't like a thread that speicfically about Gayle Killiea, she had huge article based on the idiotic premise that journalist should applaud the speechmaker they are trying to cover. It matters who she is, thats give you clues as to why she wrote it and how it was allowed to be published.

Read the thread - you'll find there's a lot more, and indeed a lot less to it than that. In fact, many of the posts on that thread would find themselves happily at home in Sindoland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:31 am

it seems her article backs up his description.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:40 am

cactus flower wrote:
Do all the good Irish journalists
emigrate?
Most of them do or at least work for UK or US
publications. I remember one paper [1] presented by a DCU lecturer that quoted some journalists who were trying to come to terms with the web.
Apparently one of the journos quoted thought that I was a recent
entrant to publishing. I had, by that time written, co-written and or published at least 12 books and hundreds of articles in addition to editing a tech journal. What these journalists failed to understand was that the internet made them largely irrelevant. Some of them were attached to dot.bomb ventures.
But the rise of bloggers showed that the abilities necessary to report events or comment on events are nothing special - anyone with an elementary knowledge of English can pick them up quickly. But being a real journalist requires a little bit more. The Irish journos I met overseas did have that extra something. In Ireland, journalism seems to have replaced sociology and arts as dumping ground for middle class kids prior to their getting a job in financial services or similar.

What they never told these people was that publishing is one of the most cut-throat industries around and the churn em' and burn 'em ethic still rules. But looking at the Dublin media scene, there isn't really much opportunity for true talent.

Quote :
I worked in Current Affairs television in London for a while and all the best reporters were Irish. And we had Olivia O'Leary.
I remember getting a tour of Sky back in the 1990s and at least 50% of the people there (tech and otherwise) were Irish and Australian.

Regards...jmcc
[1] http://cost-a20.iscte.pt/content/documents/Delivering_Ireland.doc

Last edited by jmcc on Tue May 06, 2008 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:46 am

cactus flower wrote:
jmcc wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Kililea - why?

It is quite comical to see the number of sockpuppets that pop up defending her and the other Sindo types though.

Regards...jmcc

Do all the good Irish journalists emigrate? I worked in Current Affairs television in London for a while and all the best reporters were Irish. And we had Olivia O'Leary.

Hey CF - Olivia is my auntie - did you work for First Tuesday or BBC Newsnight when she was there - she still does a bit of work for the Beeb at the moment - she's more into writing at the moment tho
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:48 am

Edo wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
jmcc wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Kililea - why?

Regards...jmcc

Hey CF - Olivia is my auntie - did you work for First Tuesday or BBC Newsnight when she was there - she still does a bit of work for the Beeb at the moment - she's more into writing at the moment tho

If she's your aunty I know at least one more of your relations. It was Newsnight. She's doing some great radio work these days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:50 am

cactus flower wrote:
Edo wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
jmcc wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Kililea - why?

Regards...jmcc

If she's your aunty I know at least one more of your relations. It was Newsnight. She's doing some great radio work these days.

Wow - small world huh! - Newsnight - thats going back at bit alright.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:58 am

I know one of your relations too, Edo - and she's absolutely mad! In the best possible way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 1:59 am

I don't know any at all. You're safe enough!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 2:11 am

Edo wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Edo wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
jmcc wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Kililea - why?

Regards...jmcc

Wow - small world huh! - Newsnight - thats going back at bit alright.

She left Newsnight before I was there but was back from time to time and was a legend as a news presenter. She was working on the Money Programme around the corner from us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 2:12 am

This thread should be re-titled Edo's Family Album! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 2:19 am

Kate P wrote:
I know one of your relations too, Edo - and she's absolutely mad! In the best possible way. Very Happy

There are just so many to choose from there - eccentricity kind of runs in the genes - especially on the female side Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 06, 2008 3:04 am

O Leary was the best I have ever seen anyplace by miles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 12:55 pm

I had a look at the Seamus Brennan thread on p.ie. Reading it would give you a headache.

The place has sunk in the mire.

It is a terrible pity because it had reached critical mass and the opportunity was there to have a really top notch politics site. They really should have had a "senior members" section and let people with experience or knowledge of public life post there as well as proven posters.

It is not clear what vision the site owner has for the site or whether he has any idea on how to maintain the quality. That is a pity because he has put a lot of work into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 7:42 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I had a look at the Seamus Brennan thread on p.ie. Reading it would give you a headache.

The place has sunk in the mire.

It is a terrible pity because it had reached critical mass and the opportunity was there to have a really top notch politics site. They really should have had a "senior members" section and let people with experience or knowledge of public life post there as well as proven posters.

It is not clear what vision the site owner has for the site or whether he has any idea on how to maintain the quality. That is a pity because he has put a lot of work into it.

I think you are right there Zhou - It looks like its been taken over by a bunch of 12 year old nihilists - a few of the older crew here and there - but Gawd its depressing look at what passes for debate over there - a lot of really good posters giving it a wide berth at the moment - maybe after Lisbon it will settle down again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm hoping that will be the case, although there was a definite decline after the election - something that was commented on well before Lisbon reared its head. Mind you, that was more a problem of credibility, in that as a credible arena of debate, it got flooded by the kind of thing that passes in our noble country for political debate.

Now even the green-bashers are gone...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Is there an increase in volume of posting as well as posters?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 8:33 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Is there an increase in volume of posting as well as posters?

It did cross my mind , in that I wondered if you signed up to Libertas's Lisbon campaign ,maybe you were meant to do your bit for the cause on P.ie

just conjecture mind you, but there seems to have been an influx of rabid No "Shouters and Screamers" on to P.ie in recent weeks with a level of eloquence sophistication and coherent thought making that would ,as one wit over there put it, make Future Taoiseach sound like Umberto Eco!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 8:44 pm

I have to say that it seems to me that the owner has courted publicity through the Frank Ward & Co affairand through the accusation about the Mayflower Hotel. If publicity is your game then numbers must be your aim.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm more sure than ever of this, especially after trawling through it today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 12:45 am

I think P.ie's real problem is that it is framed primarily as an Irish party political site and that frankly, Irish party politics are not that interesting just at the moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 12:47 am

cactus flower wrote:
I think P.ie's real problem is that it is framed primarily as an Irish party political site and that frankly, Irish party politics are not that interesting just at the moment.

It was interesting when I first joined, back in 2005, and there wasn't much happening in Irish politics at the time. There were very good discussions about what should happen - the kind of things I see here, and hope to see more of here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 12:51 am

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

It was interesting when I first joined, back in 2005, and there wasn't much happening in Irish politics at the time. There were very good discussions about what should happen - the kind of things I see here, and hope to see more of here.

So we're going to make it interesting, eh! Very Happy bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 1:01 am

Interesting. This place is a bit more personal than p.ie now - we are all very chummy here at the moment. P.ie I suppose used to be like that? Is it time to break a site up when such a critical mass is reached that the chumminess is gone?

You won't be bothered as much with a site if replies to threads are often in the line of 'TROLL' and 'Fool'. Posters must get lazy and loose respect and get into bad habits - even humour can start the slippery slide to a thread going shitwise I'd say.

That's it man I'm not laughing anymore Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decline of P.ie?   Decline of P.ie? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Decline of P.ie?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next