Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

On this day 1 May in Irish History

Go down 
AuthorMessage

On this day 1 May in Irish History Empty
PostSubject: On this day 1 May in Irish History   On this day 1 May in Irish History EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:37 am

1 May 1169: Robert Fitzstephen with a band of about 100 knights and horsemen and accompanied by around 300 archers from Wales landed at Bannow Bay, Co Wexford. This is the date traditionally given to the start of the Anglo Norman Invasion.

1 May 1316: Edward Bruce (the brother of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland) had himself Crowned King of Ireland near Dundalk, possibly at Faughart according to one Irish source.

1 May 1854: Percy French, one of Ireland’s most famous songwriters was born on this day at Cloonyquin, County Roscommon. He developed an interest in the stage while attending Trinity College as an undergraduate but continued to develop his skills after graduation as a Civil Engineer. He penned such popular classics as:
Abdul Abulbul Amir, Phil the Fluthers Ball; Slattery's Mounted Fut; Come Back Paddy Reilly to Ballyjamesduff; The Mountains of Mourne and Are ye right there Michael.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: On this day 1 May in Irish History   On this day 1 May in Irish History EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:52 am

I stayed in a Percy French hotel up in Cavan about 12 years ago for NewYears Eve. Could that have been BJamesDuff ? I had no idea he was a musician. I remember it struck me as an odd name for a hotel alright. Both Percy and French being odd in Cavan..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 1 May in Irish History   On this day 1 May in Irish History EmptyFri May 02, 2008 12:55 am

The bloody Welsh eh. Half the county here still go by the name Walsh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On this day 1 May in Irish History   On this day 1 May in Irish History Empty

Back to top Go down

On this day 1 May in Irish History
Page 1 of 1