Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Canvassing

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Canvassing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 6:34 pm

WorldbyStorm wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
It was a jumble sale in aid of Oxfam, and I was 9.

Hmmm... I had a similar experience about that age for some worthy cause or another. A black dog cornered me in a garden. I had a fear of dogs for decades after it...

For me it was doing a newspaper round at about that age. There was a dog that started its run down the hall at exactly the right time for it to arrive (teeth-first) at the letterbox at the same time as I did. There was also a house that had an Alsatian twice my height behind a flimsy-looking glass door. Wasn't worth the farthing a copy I was being paid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 7:08 pm

ibis wrote:
WorldbyStorm wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Hmmm... I had a similar experience about that age for some worthy cause or another. A black dog cornered me in a garden. I had a fear of dogs for decades after it...

For me it was doing a newspaper round at about that age. There was a dog that started its run down the hall at exactly the right time for it to arrive (teeth-first) at the letterbox at the same time as I did. There was also a house that had an Alsatian twice my height behind a flimsy-looking glass door. Wasn't worth the farthing a copy I was being paid.

So we're all battle-hardened, eh? pirat pirat pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 10:22 pm

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
WorldbyStorm wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

So we're all battle-hardened, eh? pirat pirat pirat

dead 'ard, that's us alright...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptySun May 04, 2008 1:26 am

I did my first serious canvassing last year in Fingal and guess what.. I loved it. Shocked

Talking to people about issues, getting the feedback on people concerns. I thought it was great.
Sad, I know but I really enjoyed meeting so many different people from my area.

The other thing about canvassing?

You get some great ideas for your garden and the front of your house. I coulld'nt help but comment to people about how well their homes looked. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptySun May 04, 2008 1:38 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:
I did my first serious canvassing last year in Fingal and guess what.. I loved it. Shocked

Talking to people about issues, getting the feedback on people concerns. I thought it was great.

You get some great ideas for your garden and the front of your house. I coulld'nt help but comment to people about how well their homes looked. Very Happy

I wish I could say that this will make you a successful politician Johnny, but it only makes you a nice friendly person. Every senior politician I have met has their eye on the next person before they have shaken hands with the last. They have learned to spread themselves as thin as they can without disappearing. Or perhaps they started out as human beings like you and learned from experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptySun May 04, 2008 2:01 am

cactus flower wrote:
Johnny Keogh wrote:

I wish I could say that this will make you a successful politician Johnny, but it only makes you a nice friendly person. Every senior politician I have met has their eye on the next person before they have shaken hands with the last. They have learned to spread themselves as thin as they can without disappearing. Or perhaps they started out as human beings like you and learned from experience.

Oh, I'll never be a succesful politician, cactus. Very Happy
I'm a community activist not a politician. A foot-soldier. I don't have the neccasary narrow minded selfishness thats required to use people and then discard them when they are of no more use.
I understand it, but I will never do it.

My philosphy to community activism is geographical. If its within a 3kilometer radius of where I live, then I'm in.
Outside of that I'm not interested.

What I do for the "ProDems" is mostly out of duty, honour and fun. there has to fun, otherwise there is no point. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptySun May 04, 2008 2:07 am

I'm sure everyone enjoys meeting you on their doorstep. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 4:26 pm

I was canvassing last year for the GE, and called to a house and when I told the occupant who I was canvassing for, he started shouting and screaming that he would never vote for that person, and delivered a decent rant, before slamming the door in my face. I opened his letterbox and said " I'll take that as a no, then?" and walked off. The canvasser with me was a bit shocked by the rant, but I burst out laughing, saying it wouldn't be the last. And it wasn't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canvassing   Canvassing - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Canvassing
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: Political Theory & Ideas / Radical Politics-
Jump to: