Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Can anyone play a piano ?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Thanks for the info people. I didn't know about Tynan Pianos in Rathmines.

What about this one ?

Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 26008418__1215547658__1__3-6da36f54eddac4a1a44378ffc494d0ca.__big__

On sale for € 1 Smile

http://www.gumtree.ie/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 3:50 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

What about this one ?

Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 26008418__1215547658__1__3-6da36f54eddac4a1a44378ffc494d0ca.__big__

On sale for € 1 Smile

Ah... God love it... I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 5:27 pm

There's a guy who does piano repairs in Churchtown. He also imports pianos, fixes them up and sells them on. Much cheaper than your Waltons or Piano Plus (who are expensive, even in the piano world).

Another option is to get a digital piano. Sounds the same as a piano, but can be moved around, etc. A brand new one wouldn't cost more than a couple of grand. (Still expensive, but considerably less than €5k.) Another option is something like jumbletown.ie or freecycledublin. There are a surprising number of pianos there - aforementioned musical boyf got a few that way. Come to think of it, one or two of them weren't quite up to music school standard, so he may be willing/eager to give them away. Would be fine for a beginner, just not quite good enough to teach people on.

If you'd be interested in one of them, let me know and I'll check with him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 5:54 pm

TheBear wrote:
There's a guy who does piano repairs in Churchtown. He also imports pianos, fixes them up and sells them on. Much cheaper than your Waltons or Piano Plus (who are expensive, even in the piano world).

Another option is to get a digital piano. Sounds the same as a piano, but can be moved around, etc. A brand new one wouldn't cost more than a couple of grand. (Still expensive, but considerably less than €5k.) Another option is something like jumbletown.ie or freecycledublin. There are a surprising number of pianos there - aforementioned musical boyf got a few that way. Come to think of it, one or two of them weren't quite up to music school standard, so he may be willing/eager to give them away. Would be fine for a beginner, just not quite good enough to teach people on.

I would deeply appreciate a contact name and number for piano repair man, if you have one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Oh and if you are adventerous enough to order online - thomann.de is a German music superstore and most certainly about the best value for alot of equipment, they also do pianos. Would be free delivery to Ireland... but then again I wouldn't do it because I would want to play it first. I do use them for cables and microphones and stuff for my alternative life - soundman. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 6:23 pm

Ohhh. some nice ones there johnfás. Nice prices too. I'll see what the SU says.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 8:01 pm

cactus flower wrote:

What about this one ?

On sale for € 1 Smile

Can I take it home with me ? Sad
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 9:10 pm

cactus flower wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

What about this one ?

On sale for € 1 Smile

Can I take it home with me ? Sad

Are you pining over a 140 year old piano ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Jeffers are great for pianos and they can replace the veneers.They're based in Cork but travel the country. They're pricey for tuning though. There's a company in Carlow - Holland pianos and they will do the same. If you phone them - John is really, really helpful and they do travel the country, they'll tell you how to buy a second hand piano. They're really decent.

Don't buy a piano without it coming from a reputable second hand dealer because some pianos are untunable if they haven't been kept in the right conditions. You might pay a little more, but you'll have a piano that will last.

And wherever you get the piano from, you'll have to get it tuned after moving it, even if it was in good tune when you bought it.

Great to hear you're still enthusiastic about playing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 11:37 pm

cactus flower wrote:
TheBear wrote:

I would deeply appreciate a contact name and number for piano repair man, if you have one.
Neil O'Brien: 01-2983284 If you mention Craig from Dublin School of Music, he may 'look after you', I've been told (and I'm fairly sure that's not a threat). Smile
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Right then.Which one ?

Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 M108

Through a dealer in Ireland. €2000 with 10 year warranty, delivery to my house, set up and tuning, adjustable stool.

OR

Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 162706

From thomann.de €1599 on the web. 3 year warranty. What do I do if it breaks ??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 3:12 pm

I just got wind of a new enormous music superstore in Dublin which has very good prices. I am meeting a friend this afternoon who has been out to it so will give you the details when I get home. Might be worth a look.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 3:26 pm

johnfás wrote:
I just got wind of a new enormous music superstore in Dublin which has very good prices. I am meeting a friend this afternoon who has been out to it so will give you the details when I get home. Might be worth a look.

Ohhh that's interesting johnfás. I'll wait for info on that. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 12:29 pm

johnfás wrote:
Is this the one around the Long Mile Road? My boyf went out driving around there for about an hour last week and couldn't find it.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 12:48 pm

TheBear wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Is this the one around the Long Mile Road? My boyf went out driving around there for about an hour last week and couldn't find it.

I think it's the X-Music store which opened 2-3 weeks ago http://www.x-music.ie/

I rang them and they only do electronic pianos.

So I bought the Marshal one in the first picture above. Getting delivered next week. WooHoo !

Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 Piano
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 12:50 pm

It is the very shop - was about to post you directions!!

Well done on your purchase, hope it gives you decades of enjoyment Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 pm

johnfás wrote:
It is the very shop - was about to post you directions!!

Well done on your purchase, hope it gives you decades of enjoyment Very Happy.

Thanks very much johnfás. It will be my treasure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2008 1:06 pm

TheBear wrote:
johnfás wrote:

I think it's the X-Music store which opened 2-3 weeks ago http://www.x-music.ie/

I rang them and they only do electronic pianos.

So I bought the Marshal one in the first picture above. Getting delivered next week. WooHoo !

Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 Piano
Thanks for that, and congrats on the new acquisition! Much happy tinkling ahead, I hope.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:01 pm

New piano arrived this morning. It's smashing.

cheers
Play piano

Next exam is November 13th. pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 3:16 pm

New piano arrived this morning. It's smashing.

cheers
Play piano

Next exam is November 13th. pale

Brilliant EVM. Cool emoticon, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 5:50 pm

Make sure you get it tuned at the recommended intervals. If you leave it too long tuning becomes more difficult and must be done more regularly.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 10:58 pm

There's some superb vids on youtube showing you how to play classic
songs. I learned John Lennon Imagine yesterday. Next up is Hey Jude.

Hey Jude - how to play.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 09, 2008 11:20 pm

How are you getting on with the new beast EVM? Good I hope Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a piano ?   Can anyone play a piano ? - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 2:02 am

johnfás wrote:
How are you getting on with the new beast EVM? Good I hope Very Happy.

I'm loving it johnfás. Completely addicted. It's a bit of work compared to a keyboard, in physical finger terms. It takes a bit of finger strength to lash out the chords.

What's really really weird is I never liked the Beatles, until I saw that Piano playing on ututbe.

And then I saw this :