Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Leaving Cert English - Thoughts

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:24 pm

I do think the English course is good. I really enjoyed the comparitive study of a book, play and film.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:30 pm

What texts did you study?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:33 pm

Plough and the Stars by Seán O'Casey was our play. Our book was Regeneration which is about a shellshock hospital during WW1 - featuring Sassoon and Wilfred Owen as characters. Our film was On the Waterfront, with Marlon Brando.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Theme of conflict, I suppose.

It's a nice combination. I've never taught any of them, but that's the beauty of the new course - there's just so much variety.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Yup, conflict was indeed the theme!

Plough and the Stars was being staged in the Abbey at the time. A great production it was too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:49 pm

johnfás wrote
Quote :
Yup, conflict was indeed the theme!

That's half the reason I gave up teaching. Not good to be too predictable... Wink

Having said that, English is a wonderful subject to teach because you get to know the students so well - in ways they don't even realise you know them, sometimes. So much of a person's personality is revealed in they way s/he writes. How they manage the subject is interesting too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:52 pm

English was my favourite class in school. We used to read and debate the columns written that week by Kevin Myers and Fintan O'Toole in the Irish Times and critically analyse them as a class. We used to sing, rather than read, On Raglan Road. We had Brendan Kennelly come talk to us about Patrick Kavanagh's Poetry and we had the author of Regeneration come in and talk to us about her work. Spoilt really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Brendan Kenneally is a legend and my fondest memories from college revolve around his drama lectures. I was blessed to make it into his elective but he decided to have a heart operation when he should have been taking my (rather scary) 'writer as critic' module in 3rd year. I don't think I've forgiven him yet. He taught the kind of lessons you don't find in books, the ones that last long after what you've learned has been forgotten.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:03 pm

Very true, when we were in sixth year Trinity ran a series of lectures in the evening on the poets which were on the cirriculum. I presume they still do similar. Kennelly was fantastic in them.

I'm having lots of fond memories here of my English days in school! I wanted to get a signed copy of a Seamus Heaney book for my grandmother's 90th birthday and I ended up having the book and an introduction for myself with the man himself, sorted out by the head of the English Department at school!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:07 pm

Well the head of your English department is rather well connected and has built a name for himself outside the classroom. I find him an intelligent debater on all things literary, but sadly an intensely annoying speaker. I find myself getting grumpy when I hear him on radio. Sorry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Very Happy His voice was rather annoying! Very nice man though.

He wasn't my teacher, we got the benefit of his knowledge but escaped his voice. Their class used to get free books though, which we didnt, boo-urns.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:16 pm

When I write the next great Irish novel, I'll send you a free, signed first edition. And it won't go out of date in a year...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Hurray!! Do you like to write novels Kate?

I'd love to write a short history book... now to find some time to do it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:34 pm

I'm just kidding - but, if I wasn't, you'd be getting the signed copy. And it would knock the Book of Torts into a tin hat. Smile

The man who made time made plenty of it (apparently). If and when it's the right/ important thing to do, it will happen. But you could doodle a bit and practice in the meantime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:39 pm

The subject matter is always one of the difficult things to decide upon as well... so many different things to choose from! Maybe I'll just pack in this law jargon and become a writer study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Doesn't have to be an either-or scenario, does it?

In any case, you'll have to start somewhere. Where ever you are now is probably the best place. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:57 pm

I reckon I'll get to most things like it. Not as if I particularly want to be a solicitor all my life. I find the subject matter interesting and I think it will be a good professional qualification to open up doors into other things... that's the longterm ambition anyway!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaving Cert English - Thoughts   Leaving Cert English - Thoughts - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaving Cert English - Thoughts
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2