Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

A Friend In Need

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:00 pm

I came across this video on my travels. I'm sure that most have seen the contents before. I thought this one was particularly well made though, so I thought I'd share.

The question that constantly burns me is why does our Government keep insisting that we are being friends to the US by facilitating their global outrages?

Wouldn't a true friend tell you the truth?
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Don't get me started - I just saw 'War on Democracy' by John Pilger.

There must be a massive divide in America as regards their imperialism - who are these groups does anyone know? I know Ron Paul stands against the war but is there a prominent group aggressively militating against the likes of the Bush administration's imperialist activities or are Americans cowed by the fear of division in a time of (false) need?
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm

The war has minimal impact on the vast majority. The rest believe what they are told. We are now moving on the the next stage. A democrat voter is really a sad case. They will be easily convinced that while Iraq was a mistake Iran is really the reason that Iraq went badly. Hillary is threatening nukes and Obama is saying that Pakistan should be bombed. Still the dumb democrat voter thinks they are going to stop the war. They fell for this in 2006 and they will again in 2008. The typical republican of course thinks the democrats have sabotaged the effort. However polls say 60% are against the war so if it's economic impact bites more then things might change.
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:04 am

youngdan wrote:
The war has minimal impact on the vast majority. The rest believe what they are told. We are now moving on the the next stage. A democrat voter is really a sad case. They will be easily convinced that while Iraq was a mistake Iran is really the reason that Iraq went badly. Hillary is threatening nukes and Obama is saying that Pakistan should be bombed. Still the dumb democrat voter thinks they are going to stop the war. They fell for this in 2006 and they will again in 2008. The typical republican of course thinks the democrats have sabotaged the effort. However polls say 60% are against the war so if it's economic impact bites more then things might change.

Are the 60% against fighting, against spending the money on it, or both?
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:26 am

That is a good question and I am not sure. It is the figure quoted on the radio all the time. Checking it, the question is Do you agree with the way Bush handled the war 65% and elsewhere Do you think the war was a mistake 62. Recent polls from Gallup and USA Today
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:31 am

youngdan is there any widespread body of self-analysis in America which concludes that America is acting in an imperialist fashion or is it still the War on Terror? Would you say Ron Paul support views what America is doing as imperialist, morally wrong and itself contributing to the high alert state of siege ye seem to be under there?
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 4:21 am

It seems that it is not affecting most people and is not the priority in this election. It is difficult to get the discussion past Do you support the troops. This is changing as we speak. Military brass have been talking about Iranian assistance. This is for the small percentage that is paying attention. Now however I see a headline on Drudge about 5 Brits held captive inside Iran. This simpler scenario is aimed at the general public.. There is noone saying anything about imperialism because we are taking the fight to the enemy. There is anti war crowd but it is hard to say what percentage it is except to say it would be small. They are in a bind because the only guy who talks their talk is a republican and hence must be the worst of the worst. That is why there has rarely been such a motley cross section as the Paul supporters. One of the highlights of the early debates was when Paul said that the 911 attack was the direct result of US foreign policy.This gave Rudy a big cheer from the republican audience but Paul later produced a top CIA guy who agreed with him. When Rudy lied by pretending not to be familiar with the term blowback it hurt him. I am happy with how Paul is doing. In Pennsylvannia 128000 people turned out to vote for him in a race that is supposed to be over. This was his largest showing so far and I reckon it is due to the rising prices. I think a war on Iran is nearly certain and how Paul will be viewed after this remains to be seen. Here is the blowback clip www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrwKr_b4Lg
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 7:47 am

just reading something about kim jong il and his thunderbird bases and im reminded that 50,000 americas died over there. 50,000! sheesh
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:47 am

youngdan wrote:
Here is the blowback clip www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrwKr_b4Lg
Blowback/retaliation. Ron Paul is saying what a lot of people over here had been saying even before 9/11; do the Americans really believe they could be immune from potential attack because of their location on the globe? Whether you believe that the Americans themselves orchestrated the 9/11 attacks or that it was Arabic suicide bombers the message Ron Paul is espousing is clear enough: America should look a lot more closely at its militancy overseas and attempt to use diplomacy.

Rudy Giuliani ... what a two dimensional comment - the man must have never seen the Palestinian suicide bomb retaliations that are regularly plastered all over the news here when Israel and Palestine are at each other's throats.
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:12 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
youngdan wrote:
Here is the blowback clip www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQrwKr_b4Lg
Blowback/retaliation. Ron Paul is saying what a lot of people over here had been saying even before 9/11; do the Americans really believe they could be immune from potential attack because of their location on the globe? Whether you believe that the Americans themselves orchestrated the 9/11 attacks or that it was Arabic suicide bombers the message Ron Paul is espousing is clear enough: America should look a lot more closely at its militancy overseas and attempt to use diplomacy.

Rudy Giuliani ... what a two dimensional comment - the man must have never seen the Palestinian suicide bomb retaliations that are regularly plastered all over the news here when Israel and Palestine are at each other's throats.

That was an interesting link, youngdan, here it is again for anyone who missed it.

Ron
Paul again

Paul was saying when the US install dictators like the Shah of Iran, occupy and bomb people's countries, like Iraq, people get mad, and fight back: he uses the CIA term "blowback". He is saying that El Quaeda (is this short hand for arab resisters?) 'welcome' US troops on the ground as they are an easier target. Do as you would be done by seems to be his message to Americans.

The US now brings to mind the Roman Empire at its zenith, with bases and friendly dictators installed all corners of the globe. With the economy in the pits, how can they keep it up?

Diplomats would certainly be a lot cheaper than warships and nuclear submarines.
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 5:01 pm

The Roman empire's an apt description.

One of the best descriptions I've heard so far comes from Harold Pinter, Nobel prize winner for literature 2005, in his Nobel lecture: Art, Truth & Politics.

For anyone that has 46 minutes to spare, a video of this incredibly thought provoking tour de force can be found here.

* Text version here *

Last edited by cactus flower on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mod added link to text version)
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:15 pm

The whole thing was very important in the campaign because the CIA guy was the head guy on Bin Laden Michael Scheuer and his stature was such that nobody could second guess his opinion. Rudy knew the question was coming but Paul creamed them everytime so the moderators moved on immediately. This was always the case with Paul and Tancredo when necessary but he never became a threat. On the dem side the same thing was done to Gravel and Kucinich. Only once were the candidates allowed to ask a question and here it is * link to video*

Last edited by cactus flower on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tidy link)
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:41 pm

youngdan - is there an official Ron Paul website you could link to in which he sets out his stall?
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:33 pm

www.RonPaul2008.com or this video gives a good picture * link to Ron Paul video *

Last edited by cactus flower on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : practise edit of link)
Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Thanks youngdan - will have a look at that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Friend In Need Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Friend In Need   A Friend In Need Empty

Back to top Go down

A Friend In Need
Page 1 of 1