Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist Empty
PostSubject: Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 7:46 pm

A fascinating interview from Joe MacAnthony the last truly committed investigative journalist to work in Ireland and who was effectivley blackballed for his trouble. MacAnthony describes what happened to him after he exposed the humungous corruption at the heart of the Irish Sweepstakes. He went on to a highly successful career in Canada. It's arguable that if Ireland had just three Joe MacAnthony's the country would be transformed within a matter of months. Well worth a read:

http://www.mediabite.org/article_In-media-exile---Part-1_313923316.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 1:29 am

That was interesting indeed. For some time the small newspapers here have been bought up by a small number of companies. The reporters are being replaced by columnists who are syndicated to hundreds of outlets. The good news if any is that the newspaper business is in a sharp revenue drop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Interesting what MacAnthony says about the Irish Times. Excerpt from the interview:

Quote :
MB[MediaBite]: In our interview with Fintan O'Toole he says, in effect, that the Irish Times Trust provides a safeguard against encroachment on editorial policy. You refer in your film interview with Bob Quinn to abuses of the Irish Times Trust - whereby senior members of the management of that newspaper have taken advantage of the terms of the trust. Could you tell us more about that and the impact it may have had on editorial matters at the paper? [8]

JM: I worked in the Irish Times library for six years. Although Douglas Gageby didn't consider me a suitable candidate for journalism, I published my first pieces there. I loved the place. It was full of great characters, which in its own way added to the quality of the paper. When controversy arose, everybody felt involved.

I recall one night when the then editor Alec Newman - admittedly in his cups - wrote a leader trashing Eamon Andrews, a famous television personality in Britain and Ireland at the time. A huge battle erupted, as the then owner of sorts, a man named McCann, wanted the piece out, as it more than teetered on libel. Everyone hung around as the presses stalled, taking sides, trying to catch the row carrying from the editor's office.

Honour, desperate diplomacy and discretion triumphed when a few hundred copies were printed and became much prized possessions in the aftermath.

Scandal thrived in house, with one editor slipping away for nooners on the back of a scooter driven by a delectable young woman whom everybody lusted afer. There were surreptitious assignations among the bound volumes in the attic and quite a lot of boozing, leaven with learned disputations. But none of it ever affected the unchanging high standard of the paper.

What seems to have replaced these enjoyable shenanigans are not learned arguments about classical subjects, but disputes in the higher reaches about who can make the most money out of what is supposed to be a non-profit Trust, and purportedly guided by the highest motives.

It seems to me that this vulgar protifteering has affected the quality of the paper. When you think of making money going to bed at night, you surely carry that philosophy into work next day. It is the natural bent of people who think like that to turn to the right in politics. And that is what seems to have happened to the Irish Times.

From being an exceptional newspaper, with the openness to opinion that marks the liberal press, it has now turned to telling its wealthier readers what they want to hear. The last straw, in my view, is promoting the hard right views of that extreme old fart and cast iron Bush supporter, Charlie Krauthammer. Already well past his sell-by date in the U.S., the Irish Times now uses him to deliver lectures, unanchored by fact, on why the Irish would do well to support that tarnished President's crusade to 'save' the world.

I recall John Arnott, a major shareholder in the paper, playing chess in the Kildare Street Club. He was a decent, unassuming man and a major influence in turning the Irish Times into a Trust, where profits would be reasonably expected to enhance the technical performance and quality of its journalism. Now, the people who control the paper prefer to 'use' and squabble over their personal share of that pie.

How could anybody with the best interests of journalism at heart, enjoy a spectacle like that? The Irish Times should, and could have been, the last bastion of fine journalism and a beacon to those in the rest of the media. Now it is neither. "

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 3:59 pm

Gosh, sounds like it was a laugh back in the day. I love Krauthammer on mondays though, MacAnthony should give the IT readers a little more credit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 4:08 pm

i really don't think it worth putting those pieces in for 'people to make up there own minds' there so far from reality they don't justify themselves,

headline in the IT yesterday, from a reuters wire, "rice praises iraqi unity while al-sadr threatens war".... excuse me, rice and her puppets are the one's being talk about in terms of praise and unity? thats incredible, and al-sadr is the one threatening war?, when he infact is the iraqi defending his country... it wasn't him that broke the ceasefire.

Last edited by lostexpectation on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 4:48 pm

I dont understand what you mean by your post - would you explain it for me?
Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: 'Where the Sweeps millions go'   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Original article by Joe MacAnthony exposing Sweepstakes corruption :

http://www.mediabite.org/article_Where-the-Sweeps-Millions-Go_95751000.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist   Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist Empty

Back to top Go down

Interview with Joe MacAnthony - the last Irish investigative journalist
Page 1 of 1