Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Yanks and Guns

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Yanks and Guns - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 am

youngdan wrote:
Minister of Muttonskulls. What is the donkey's name so that I can think of a more appropiate name for him

Dermot Ahern
http://www.justice.ie/
Yanks and Guns - Page 4 47

Quote :
Minister Dermot Ahern Outlines Handguns Ban

The Minister said the handgun ban would be included in legislation currently being prepared which will be published shortly. Minister Ahern said: "Since being appointed, I have made clear my growing concern at the number and type of handguns being licensed.

"From the early 1970s, in the light of the Troubles, until 2004, all handguns were banned in this jurisdiction. But following a series of judicial decisions that is no longer the case and about 1800 handguns have been licensed. There was no public policy decision to bring about this situation.
http://www.fiannafail.ie/article.phpx?topic=151&id=9774&nav=Local%20Item

However ... (from yesterday)
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/more-than-1200--licensed-firearms-stolen-since-2005-1562971.html

1200 stolen since 2005 - maybe we need some to protect ourselves Shocked

This is Pat Rabbitte and Dermot Ahern talking about the marriage of their parties with Sinn Fein on Q&A well before the last General Election.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCpHDaykSy4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 11:57 am

Suicides at 550 are higher than 1 in 10000 unless you are saying there are more than 5.5 million people in Ireland. S o the chances of getting shot here and killing yourself there are more or less the same ballpart. At 1:10000, I am not worried about either happening OK.

http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/sept2006/usroad_deaths.html

Over here 43000 people die on the roads.

The homicide rate in Latvia is over 10.5 while is Switzerland where every house has a gun it is low. If you don't like guns don't get a gun and mind your own business.

If however you think a gangster is not going to have a gun if he comes after you then I will send flowers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:07 pm

Look at the big ears. Has this guy any brain. Does he think the guns used were licensed. Tell him to watch Law and Order and if that is too complicated he can watch Frank Cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InvkUrMFkzw

If he is smarter than he looks I will call him Detective Dinny Donkey a Hairpiece.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 pm

youngdan wrote:
Look at the big ears. Has this guy any brain. Does he think the guns used were licensed.

If he is smarter than he looks I will call him Detective Dinny Donkey a Hairpiece.

well yeah where did the guns come from here - the indo says 1200 licensed ones were stolen - if they say so. But aren't there plenty of other ways to get guns in here ? I often wonder what happens to yachts which come here - are they searched ? Is there such a thing as a gun-sniffing dog ?

Also, replica guns get in here and may be modified to fire real ammo. How does the ammo get in here though - on yachts ? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 8:54 am

Poor Aidan O Kane. RIP.

I wish I was there with a machine gun
Any passerby who tried to intervene would get it too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 12:05 am

Where are all the people that so recently was lauding the great gun control laws in Ireland. Did nobody tell that nasty 13 year old that he was breaking the law.

Get yeer heads out of the sand. It is too late for Ireland. Bring on the famine and get rid of about 5 million
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Jaysus Dan, that's a bit harsh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 4:27 pm

I do tend to hyperbole but is it any wonder I get dispondent.

Things are going from bad to worse. Society is falling asunder with people being terrorised and now just being killed like dogs. At least in the wild west you had a chance to draw and God help any yellow bastard that shot you in the back. A lynching for him.

The economic problems, if not outright planned, are definately easily predicted as the same thing happens each time. Boom/Bust and inflate/deflate, Destroy a currency and start a new one.

Things might not be too bad in Wickla but they sure as Hell look pretty dicey from here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:01 pm

You're right youngdan, things don't look that bad here. They look bad, but not 5-mil-genocide bad. It's just that Americans like to exaggerate the problems of everyone else in the world in order to make their own twisted society like like that bit less of a failure. Ask anyone outside the good ol' US of A which society has more problems and you'll get your answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm

What's going to happen those kids who had the gun here ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
What's going to happen those kids who had the gun here ?

They'll proceed to a criminal trial if there is enough evidence against them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Are they not too young for throwing in the slammer ?

I can think of worse places for them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Are they not too young for throwing in the slammer ?

I can think of worse places for them.

The age of criminal responsibility is 12 in Ireland. Anybody over the age of 12 can be charged with an offence. They go through the Youth Justice System which deals with Young Offenders. Kate might have a knowledge of it because outside of Dublin (where there is a specific children's court) it is dealt with in the local courts.

We have specific institutions to hold young offenders but they are outrageously underfunded and consequently alot of young offenders do end up in the real prisons which does their longterm future no good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:41 pm

By many measures things can be said to be worse here but Ireland seems to be rapidly catching up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:43 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

well yeah where did the guns come from here - the indo says 1200 licensed ones were stolen - if they say so. But aren't there plenty of other ways to get guns in here ? I often wonder what happens to yachts which come here - are they searched ? Is there such a thing as a gun-sniffing dog ?

Also, replica guns get in here and may be modified to fire real ammo. How does the ammo get in here though - on yachts ? scratch

I presume the majority of these guns come in with drug shipments? I mean I presume the majority of the 1200 licensed guns that were stolen there shotguns or at least not handguns. I'm all for gun control though - claiming that more guns could have stopped the North Wall shooting is nonsense. Seems to me the way to emlininate gun crime is to eliminate illegal drug shipments by legalising narcotics.

Are replicas illegal in Ireland by the way? A guy I know used collect them - he got them from a militaria dealer in galway but used claim it was illegal to own or sell them. I'm talking about the ones that have a pegged up barrell and shoot 8mm blanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:53 am

"The homicide rate in Latvia is over 10.5 while is Switzerland where every house has a gun it is low. If you don't like guns don't get a gun and mind your own business."

Perhaps the low homicide rate in Switzerland is due to their attitdue to drugs - they are decriminalised there aren't they? I'm also guessing that socio-economic issues - namely not a large gap between the rich and poor are an issue. The obverse of your statistics would be perhaps to compare Australia to the US, Victoria at least and I'm guessing the rest of the country have very strict gun laws - paintballing is only legal with a license for gods sake so it takes it a bit far even for my liking. I'd hazard a guess that gun crime here is lower that Ireland even. There hasn't bee anything like the Queen St Massacre (Melbourne), the Port Arthur Massacre (Tasmania) or the Monash University shootings (Also Melbourne) since there laws were put in place in the late 1990's.

"If however you think a gangster is not going to have a gun if he comes after you then I will send flowers"

If they think you don't have a gun then they won't feel the need to carry one either I reckon. Most people, even gangsters, even in the US don't want to kill anyone. What they don't want is to be caught or to be shot when they are going about their business - even is their business is burgalry or car theft. Gun tooting have a go heros have made their job more risky, necessitating protection in the form of a gun of their own.

Last edited by shutuplaura on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 am

johnfás wrote:
The age of criminal responsibility is 12 in Ireland. Anybody over the age of 12 can be charged with an offence. They go through the Youth Justice System which deals with Young Offenders. Kate might have a knowledge of it because outside of Dublin (where there is a specific children's court) it is dealt with in the local courts.

We have specific institutions to hold young offenders but they are outrageously underfunded and consequently alot of young offenders do end up in the real prisons which does their longterm future no good.
Thank God the Law people are Christian - does anyone have a future who shoots someone else ? I see a future of psychiatrists, padded cells, cells.

Quote :
Are replicas illegal in Ireland by the way? A guy I know used collect them - he got them from a militaria dealer in galway but used claim it was illegal to own or sell them. I'm talking about the ones that have a pegged up barrell and shoot 8mm blanks.
Couldn't tell you but if the firing mechanism is out of it then is it really a gun ? I think I recall some people converting replica guns into live weapons or maybe that was the UK.

A news article here about someone in Wiklow kicking up stink about a replica gun shop opening there
http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2008/0215/ireland/mheysnauojid/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Thank God the Law people are Christian - does anyone have a future who shoots someone else ? I see a future of psychiatrists, padded cells, cells.

Quote :
Couldn't tell you but if the firing mechanism is out of it then is it really a gun ? I think I recall some people converting replica guns into live weapons or maybe that was the UK.

A news article here about someone in Wiklow kicking up stink about a replica gun shop opening there
http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2008/0215/ireland/mheysnauojid/

I had an old Jamaican friend in London who told me about how they used to make (working) guns out of bits of bicycles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:01 am

"Couldn't tell you but if the firing mechanism is out of it then is it really a gun ? I think I recall some people converting replica guns into live weapons or maybe that was the UK. "

Sorry, I've having trouble with the quote function here!

This bloke sold guns that still had a firing mechanism and used take blank cartridges that were powerful enough to cycle the gun around and bring the next blank into the firing position. I've never seen a real gun but these things looked like that - they had 8mm barrells instead of 9mm ones and there was a metal peg in the barrell to stop someone shooting them but visibly looked the business.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:22 am

Here is a simple question for you. When Kane realised the kid had a gun did he wish he had one. Another poster here who would not answer in a similiar life ending event, replied that there was no way either of us could know what the man was thinking before he was killed.

What would you yourself think in this unfortunate situation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:28 am

Why do you think I'm thinking about converting replica guns into live ones ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:37 am

Bring a knife just in case you are not a good mechanic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:39 am

I don't know what I or anyone else would have thought youngdan - your first instinct would be to save yourself though surely, not kill the other fella.

Maybe your last thought would be "I left the fucking tap running"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:56 am

Most definitely your only thought would be to save yourself and anyone that says otherwise is either lying or insane.

Not only would you kill the attacker but you would kill a million to save your life. The other case involved a child and father. You are not a parent Audi but I would kill everyone else on Earth to save my child.

Any parent would unless they are unhinged and even a bird will attack you to save her chicks.

Some here are so afraid of guns that they will say they would rather die which of course is rubbish. They remind me of the religon freaks here. Their idealistic foolishness is like a religon to them and they actually believe it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:58 am

youngdan wrote:
Here is a simple question for you. When Kane realised the kid had a gun did he wish he had one.
No, if anything I would imagine he regretted going after them. The reason the country is so horrified by this and the reason the Guards are coming down like a ton of bricks on this kid & his friends is because this is such an unusual event here.

Youngdan, between the USA and Ireland you have two diametrically opposed systems of firearm control and given the death by firearm rates for both countries (you are about 20 times less likely to die in a firearm related incident in Ireland) there is no way you will ever be able to show the easy availability of guns as an effective means of self defence, the figures simply don’t support that conclusion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yanks and Guns   Yanks and Guns - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yanks and Guns
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Religion Philosophy Law :: Law and Justice-
Jump to: