Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Monopoly(no, not the game!)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Monopoly(no, not the game!) Empty
PostSubject: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 4:40 pm

The natural progression from my thread based on Perfect Competition we have the other extreme: Monopoly.

A monopoly according to Wiktionary is:

monopoly (plural monopolies)

1.A situation in which solely one company exclusively provides a particular product or service, dominating that market and generally exerting powerful control over it.
2.An exclusive control over the trade or manufacture of a commodity
3.A company dominating a market in one of the the above manners.

This is the equilibrium graph:

Monopoly(no, not the game!) Monopoly-no-deadweight-welf

MC=Marginal Cost

AC=Average Cost

AR=Average Revenue

MR=Marginal Revenue

Pm-AC=SNP

Qm=Quantity produced

Pm=Price sold

Any questions?

Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to make my post legible.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:14 pm

I've bumped this thread so that we can discuss monopolies. We can widen the discussion from the theoretical to the real-life and discuss monopolies which exist in real life. We can also comment on how monopoly as a phenomenon has receded from almost all walks of economic life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Dublin Bus could be an example - except I don't think public services really are monopolies in the true sense. I think that monopolies are when a profit making enterprise has no competition.

It is a relation to a cartel, which is a group of profit making companies who work together to fix buying and selling prices.

I was looking at sites on private education in England for johnfas's thread and it turned out that the toffs schools in England - Eton, and the whole lot, had been done for forming a price fixing cartel. Who'd have thunk it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:19 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Dublin Bus could be an example - except I don't think public services really are monopolies in the true sense. I think that monopolies are when a profit making enterprise has no competition.

It is a relation to a cartel, which is a group of profit making companies who work together to fix buying and selling prices.

I was looking at sites on private education in England for johnfas's thread and it turned out that the toffs schools in England - Eton, and the whole lot, had been done for forming a price fixing cartel. Who'd have thunk it.

Yeah. Cartels are marked under the "Oligarchies" section of economics. Dublin Bus and ESB in the residential market would be among the purest monopolies remaining in Ireland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Is Iarnrod Eireann a monopoly too? They have no choice though - it's just not possible to build a competitive entity.

Dublin Bus - should that be broken as a monopoly?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Well, you probabably read about what Dublin Bus managed to do to Circle Line operating out of Lucan. This debacle is now the subject of an Oireachtas Comittee debate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Is Iarnrod Eireann a monopoly too? They have no choice though - it's just not possible to build a competitive entity.

It is and it isn't possible to create a competitor to Iarnród Éireann since it would be an un-necessary duplication of services. It'd be wasted investment and create dis-economies of scale.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:31 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Well, you probabably read about what Dublin Bus managed to do to Circle Line operating out of Lucan. This debacle is now the subject of an Oireachtas Comittee debate.
I don't know what they did - if you feel like telling us please do but you've given us enough info to google a few articles in the papers.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Well they flooded the route with loads of extra buses and put the guy Paul Moran ? out of business. Just like that. Using taxpayers money no less.

READ ALL ABOUT IT

http://www.circlelinebus.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Well they flooded the route with loads of extra buses and put the guy Paul Moran ? out of business. Just like that. Using taxpayers money no less.

READ ALL ABOUT IT

http://www.circlelinebus.com/
Now there's some Oireachtas Committee reports I could read. Did you get a chance to use the service? Oh you don't live there. Dublin Bus don't have music on their buses and I hate the double deckers because I hate heights What a Face In serio, I used to get the jitters watching old people going up and down the stairs when the bottom was full and the bus was moving.

Competition means choice of service and people may not choose it just for the money but for other things. Do you think that information could affect the market like the above? For example, people will often support a business if they feel it's going out of business, assuming they know of course. It's my belief that people would support such a service if they had real information. Shouldn't Dublin Bus be obliged to publicise the profits of each of their routes and all that as would their competitors so people could see the difference and choose to support one or the other.

The theory is sound in my view once good information is made public. I sincerely doubt that Dublin Bus isn't making massive profits each year.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:51 pm

Are Oireacthas Comittee debates transcribed? Are they online ? I would love to see the IAA radar one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 pm

Are Oireacthas Comittee debates transcribed? Are they online ? I would love to see the IAA radar one.

Have a look there http://oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/home.asp at the left hand side under committees.

If you find anything let us know - I for one could use an education on the 6 different types of committees we have there ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monopoly(no, not the game!)   Monopoly(no, not the game!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Monopoly(no, not the game!)
Page 1 of 1