Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Something that annoyed me

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Something that annoyed me Empty
PostSubject: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:38 pm

I feel annoyed. Angry. I have to say I really dislike when people from one point of view within the Church (I use 'Church' in the absolute broadest sense) take snipes at another. I have a friend who is probably going to Sheffield next year to live. They were researching about churches in the local area and we stumbled across a website which purported to help people from outside the UK to find a church and feel 'welcome' in the UK. They even have a friendly photograph on the homepage...
Something that annoyed me Xx_isma-team%20with%20sunflowers

However, I have to say once we looked into the website we found that it was not quite so friendly. Looking at the page on Sheffield (click here) we found this

Quote :

We know that it can be quite a shock for many Christian international
students when they come to the UK. If you didn't know before you
came, you have probably already discovered that most people in Sheffield
are not behaving in a way you would expect Christians to behave.
That's because, now the vast majority of people in this country
are not Christians.
You may have visited a church and found it very unfriendly and
very different from what you are used to back home. We are very
sorry if this has been your experience.
Many churches and church leaders, pastors and ministers in this
country no longer believe the good news about Jesus. If your experience
was in one of these churches then please don't stop looking for
believers, we are out here!

Caveat Emptor...

/Rant ends
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:48 pm

That's a fairly arrogant high horse statement alright.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:50 pm

If only Christians were like their Christ -- Ghandi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:54 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

Indeed.

I think the actual quote (although it may be a second quote) from Gandhi was - I your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Truth hurts, eh? Constructive criticism is, of course, absolutely neccessary but the above comments don't sound very constructive. One the other hand, if that's how they feel... not all churchmen wield sunflowers.
Something that annoyed me Scarypriest
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

Well, Christ is the Ultimate Benchmark. We set ourselves the target to be more like Him and strive to improve our-selves to that stanadard by the day. Through acts of kindness, charity, forgiveness and justice, we can make known the Kingdom of God.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 5:38 pm

what do you think they are criticising perhaps the ala carte christian attitude in lots of parishes, they are spot on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 11:24 am

Went to a Church of England service once in London. There were 7 people in attendance scattered through the cold and splendid George Gilbert Scott Gothic pile.

The vicar spent his entire sermon haranguing the seven for being bad attenders and bad Christians.

A little welcome, how are ya, might not have gone astray. flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 11:47 am

cactus flower wrote:
Went to a Church of England service once in London. There were 7 people in attendance scattered through the cold and splendid George Gilbert Scott Gothic pile.

The vicar spent his entire sermon haranguing the seven for being bad attenders and bad Christians.

A little welcome, how are ya, might not have gone astray. flower

It wasn't the week before this by any chance? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something that annoyed me   Something that annoyed me Empty

Back to top Go down

Something that annoyed me
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Religion Philosophy Law :: Religion-
Jump to: