Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Rural (and Urban Myths)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Rural (and Urban Myths) Empty
PostSubject: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 11:32 am

There are some interesting rural myths that you may have some first hand experience of. I have travelled widely in Ireland and find that

1. In every parish there is a field in which Shergar is buried.

2. The person who mortared Downing Street is reputed to live somewhere in every parish

3. There is a tunnel linking the Church to the other side of the town in almost every town.

Do you know any more rural myths?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 11:40 am

I think the one about the 2 tills in the pub is a good myth. The first time I heard it I thought it was true. Then I kept hearing it in relation to pubs all over the place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:12 pm

There was an urban myth that there was a swatiska on the roof of a house in Templeogue in which a German spy apparently lived during the war. The wonders of modern day mapping can dispell the rumour. Perhaps it once did though.

Rural (and Urban Myths) Mapbr5
Rural (and Urban Myths) Map_6743656

Last edited by johnfás on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Myth, lie or just bs?

Apparently the Ennis bypass is routed around a tree because the tree is considered haunted by fairies ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:48 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Myth, lie or just bs?

Apparently the Ennis bypass is routed around a tree because the tree is considered haunted by fairies ...

Think that's true. I've heard it happen in other places, that fairy forts and fairy trees are frequently avoided.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:51 pm

They should have enlisted their help at Tara!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Rural (and Urban Myths) Ae_letterkenny9aug
Eddie Lenihan to the rescue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:02 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
I think the one about the 2 tills in the pub is a good myth. The first time I heard it I thought it was true. Then I kept hearing it in relation to pubs all over the place.

Yes EvotingMachine0197, you have reminded me of another one - the Shibeen myth -I have heard people waxing lyrical all over the country about the little pub that is in someone's house, with comfy arm chairs, wonderful music, a tender bar maid, and that never closes. It is everywhere and nowhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:06 pm

There was a Shibeen raided by the Gardaí on the weekend.

Quote :

A SHEBEEN was raided over the weekend and thousands of euros worth of alcohol was seized by gardai.
The illegal pub which was opened in a home in O'Malley Park, Southill,
Limerick last month was raided by officers twice over the weekend.

It is understood the owner of the house charged patrons €40 to enter the
property and avail of the bar service he had set up in the sitting room.

When the enterprising bartender believed that a customer had consumed his
€40 worth of alcohol, the punter had to leave the premises and repay the
entry fee if he wished to begin drinking inside again.

Pints were sold for a keenly priced €3.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-call-time-on-83643-pints-in-livingroom-bar-1348156.html

Last edited by johnfás on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

Yes EvotingMachine0197, you have reminded me of another one - the Shibeen myth -I have heard people waxing lyrical all over the country about the little pub that is in someone's house, with comfy arm chairs, wonderful music, a tender bar maid, and that never closes. It is everywhere and nowhere.

Well, I've been to a few in fairness, so they're not that mythical. I think they're just testament to the endemic alcoholism of our nation, god bless it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 pm

riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Myth, lie or just bs?

Think that's true. I've heard it happen in other places, that fairy forts and fairy trees are frequently avoided.

The tree was where the Limerick and Galway fairies used to meet to play hurling matches, is cosúil. A Galway woman was asked one time by an anthropologist did she believe in fairies and she "No, but they`re there anyway."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 11:48 pm

anmajornarthainig2 wrote:
riadach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Myth, lie or just bs?

The tree was where the Limerick and Galway fairies used to meet to play hurling matches, is cosúil. A Galway woman was asked one time by an anthropologist did she believe in fairies and she "No, but they`re there anyway."

Whereas the Clare fairies were under Biddy Early's curse?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 9:49 pm

There is rural myth about the tourist admiring the nice new stone wall in the village to be told that it had just been built out of the old ruin of a castle. - Has anyone come across this one?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rural (and Urban Myths)   Rural (and Urban Myths) Empty

Back to top Go down

Rural (and Urban Myths)
Page 1 of 1