Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
I'm in the wrong place. I was looking for some reinforced concrete T-beams. cyclops
Don't you mean Jim Beam ?

That's a half-interesting thread on p.ie on getting the best mpg out of your car... I'm about to tell him to take the back seats out and try of couple bottles of Dr. Good fuel additive. David is right though - get a fecking smaller car.

There was a cork fella on Joe Duffy today who was mixing veg oil directly with his diesel and it worked ! The viscosity is the only problem so if some fuel is mixed in with it you're ok. Some other fecker was running his campervan totally on veg oil and what he did was run the fuel pipe through the hot water tank in his camper cabin and that made the oil less viscous.

Would you try it yourself ?

Vegatable oil, mmm, Anybodt fancy a chipper?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 3:13 am

You can also pipe the veg oil through the cooling system on the engine and that alters the viscosity.
Diesel engines will essentially run on a pound of butter if you can figure out a way of getting the butter into the cylinders.

[Edit] Woo hoo - my 100th post
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 am

The cooling system affects the viscosity ? The hot part of the cooling system is it? I thought there might be problems with burning veg oil in the chambers - wouldn't there be more soot produced inside the engine ?

It's literally a droplet of oil that is enough to move the piston isn't it?

I took a photo of you on your 100th post too - congratulations. Smile

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Africa10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 3:47 am

If you pipe the oil through the cooling system, which is normally just water mixed with anti-freeze that's pumped around the engine and carries the heat to the radiator, the oil is used to transfer the heat but a side effect from that is that the oil itself is heated up, thus altering the viscosity of the oil.

I thought there would be some kind of residue left behind from the veg oil, particularly in the valves and the exhaust ports, but supposedly it burns very cleanly (provided it is at the right viscosity when entering the cylinder). My dad's friend was one of the first people in the country to change his vans over to run on veg oil and this is the method he used. He had to instal some kind of heater to run during the first few minutes of driving because the engine wouldn't have sufficient heat at that stage to alter the viscosity of the oil.

It is true that only a very small amount is needed to drive down the piston, but you have to remember the speed that the engine is revolving. It may be only a little drop used to fire once, but at even as slow as 900rpm (idle speed on most engines) in a 4 cylinder engine your engine is firing around 450 times every minute.

Thank you for the picture. I have it saved on my hard drive so I will never forget the occasion.

I really do love engines and (as is becoming apparent) I can't help talking about them wherever I go. With this in mind I would like to apologise for discussing engines and fuel issues on pretty much every thread I visit. I know there have been some sterling efforts in keeping this forum tidy and keeping every discussion in its right place and something tells me I'm not helping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 4:04 am

AfricanDave wrote:
I really do love engines and (as is becoming apparent) I can't help talking about them wherever I go. With this in mind I would like to apologise for discussing engines and fuel issues on pretty much every thread I visit. I know there have been some sterling efforts in keeping this forum tidy and keeping every discussion in its right place and something tells me I'm not helping.
How can you say that ?! This is Machine Nation - the home of engines of all kinds !! This place should be the home of discussions on the machinery of politics and the politics of machinery; if we go putting veg oil in our cars then the flipping government will start sending the army after us shortly. I'd like to be as free as I can as would everyone and technology and engineering helps a person achieve that.

There's great freedom in driving - no wonder you love engines. Engineering and mechanics isn't as sullied a discipline as others which other politically oriented have got their filthy hands on. No, discussing engines is the heart of what I'd like this forum to be anyway.

I found a virgin forum about creating oil from algae too and registered. Check it out
http://www.oilgae.com/forum/index.php - it's how this forum used to look before we erected a portal..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 7:49 pm

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Gooood10

C'mon Kev Bar, lets a have an early one........Ard-T....I'll get this drink.....no, no, no ...It's on THE house.....There's only one irish man here.....top of the morning..etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

C'mon Kev Bar, lets a have an early one........Ard-T....I'll get this drink.....no, no, no ...It's on THE house.....There's only one irish man here.....top of the morning..etc

Smile

That's vaguely threatening, I like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 8:05 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

Smile

That's vaguely threatening, I like that.

That thing we talked about earlier.........?...look....don't worry.....it's gonna be okay......cue ice pick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 12:52 am

Very quiet on the boards tonight lads and ladettes - anyone buying the round, I'm feckin broke ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 12:56 am

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Cider_gross

What about a hot apple cider, Audi to warm you up on this miserable evening? Raining here almost all day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:07 am

Now I never had a hot cider Kate how does it taste? - I'd still drink it cold even on a day like today which saw 1 hour of sun. O well, we did have three months of fine weather... time to f-off to Spain for the 'summer' ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:17 am

No idea how it tastes - probably all cinnamon and, well, apple.

We didn't get an hour's sun until after 9 this evening... I spent the day marking in the kitchen with the garden doors open while the rain fell like an Irish monsoon virtually non stop between 5am and 7pm (though I wasn't working for that long!). It was quite marvellous - the air was as mountain clear. I have a spectacularly ugly but very snuggly grey poncho/throw over the shoulder thing that I wore and got the benefit of blasts of fresh air but still managed to be rather cosy. All to the soundtrack of falling rain. Bliss
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:34 am

I am feeling awful traditional and I haven't been here in a while, so I think I will plump for a nice pint of plain...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_genius

Oh, and to celebrate my accession to the role of Taoiseach, there is a pint for everyone else who wants one, I'm paying!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:38 am

nah don't worry Ard - I'll get a few on my credit card. Arnaudherve is there maybe he'd fancy a Guinness... The French are much more refined and hardly would try black beer without a Chateau attached...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_genius
If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_genius
If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_genius
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:42 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
nah don't worry Ard - I'll get a few on my credit card. Arnaudherve is there maybe he'd fancy a Guinness... The French are much more refined and hardly would try black beer without a Chateau attached...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_geniusIf You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Tn_genius

Thanks Auditor. I'm much obliged to your munificence. I like the way you copied that picture. It's very cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:45 am

It's very quiet around the boards isn't it ? Where are people - trying to have a real life somewhere or what Laughing

There was hardly anything good on tv today besides the footie.. Oh, wimbledon has started ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:48 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
It's very quiet around the boards isn't it ? Where are people - trying to have a real life somewhere or what Laughing

yeah, how dare they? Like, OMG! We really do need to get people posting again, really re-charge momentum and get things happening again.

Quote :
There was hardly anything good on tv today besides the footie.. Oh, wimbledon has started ...

Yup, and a Brit will not win it. Yay! Federer for the mens, that's my view.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 2:29 am

There are only Asters online, wunderbar!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Evm are you there ? This place is totally dead. I mean the Internet - p.ie no better.

Everyone must be having a kit kat after Lisbon...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 7:40 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Evm are you there ? This place is totally dead. I mean the Internet - p.ie no better.

Mmm... I think I'll have some myself...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Image528

Yum!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 2:50 am

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Image528

Chocolate! mmm, too late for a drink.

Now if your MN map works correctly, there are 3 people online, me in London, somebody in the Ukraine and somebody on the west coast of the US.?
Have always had mixed feelings about that map. Smile

Last edited by Atticus on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:10 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

Where? I was there when you posted, can't remember where now, but I'm here now. Not for long though. I'm going there. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 5:54 pm

I think I'll reprise the juices I whipped up for the Beach Party all those weeks ago. It's finally a proper Summer's day, so it's quite appropriate.

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Juice
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
I think I'll reprise the juices I whipped up for the Beach Party all those weeks ago. It's finally a proper Summer's day, so it's quite appropriate.

Can I have one of those, Ard-T? Delicious and nutricious. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 6:09 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

Can I have one of those, Ard-T? Delicious and nutricious. Razz

Go right ahead. I'm spreading the love!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite
Page 21 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Places-
Jump to: