Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

On this day 14th April in Irish History

Go down 
AuthorMessage

On this day 14th April in Irish History Empty
PostSubject: On this day 14th April in Irish History   On this day 14th April in Irish History EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 4:28 pm

14 April 1794 General Arthur Dillon, an Irish soldier, was guillotined in Paris. The Dillon family were amongst the most famous of the ‘Wild Geese’ who served in the armies of France in the 17th and 18th Centuries.

14 April 1912: The Titanic an iceberg at 11.40pm on, sustaining a 300-foot gash in her hull. The Titanic went to the bottom of the ocean at 2.20am on April 15 1912. Of the 2,201 people on board only 711 were saved.

14 April 1920: Sir Arthur Vicars, Ulster King of Arms and the man responsible for the safety of the Irish Crown Jewels when they were stolen in 1907, was shot dead by the IRA at his home, Kilmorna Castle, Co. Kerry, on. A card was tied around the body with the words "Spy. Informers beware. The IRA never forgets".

14 April: 1925 The Irish Free State held the first set of competitive exams for the new Civil Service it established.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 14th April in Irish History   On this day 14th April in Irish History EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:40 pm

A crisis occurred on 14th April 1922 when units of Republican forces occupied a number of buildings in Dublin, including the Four Courts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 14th April in Irish History   On this day 14th April in Irish History EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
A crisis occurred on 14th April 1922 when units of Republican forces occupied a number of buildings in Dublin, including the Four Courts.

Thanks AT - I'll add that to my List.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 14th April in Irish History   On this day 14th April in Irish History EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 12:02 am

Brandubh wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

You're welcome, and this letter was sent by Karl Marx to Friedrich Engels on this day and he wrote about the Irish Famine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 14th April in Irish History   On this day 14th April in Irish History EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Brandubh wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

You're welcome, and this letter was sent by Karl Marx to Friedrich Engels on this day and he wrote about the Irish Famine.

Karl and Fred on Ireland is fascinating. IIRC Engles partner was Irish and her death was one of the few times the dynamic duo fell out... Embarassed

It's from the same source but I have this Link in my 'Favorites'.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/subject/ireland/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On this day 14th April in Irish History   On this day 14th April in Irish History Empty

Back to top Go down

On this day 14th April in Irish History
Page 1 of 1