Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 4:51 am

evercloserunion wrote:
Do you even know if it was Irish, scotch, American etc.? Bushmills has the potential to be very expensive (I saw a bottle of 21yo rare in the airport for €150), I'm not sure about the other Irish brands. Jameson, as far as I know, is just Jameson.

A bottle of fine Irish would have me chuffed; a bottle of glorified Jack, not so much.

It was Bushmills. I know that much. I left it in the bag once I saw what it was and passed it on. Please God next year let my present be anything but coffee and whiskey. (Apparently he goes by a rota so next year the present will be champagne. Now that I like.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 4:56 am

I finally tried the original stuff, it's mighty nice alright! Though I've yet to try it with a little (only a little) ice, as I prefer, because it keeps it chilled and slightly lessens the bite as it goes down.

And here we're talking about booze in the tea thread; oh, the meandering nature of human conversation. Sometimes I wonder are the mods trying to impose an unnatural order with all this on-topic malarky. I'm glad it's not as strictly enforced here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 4:56 am

Nothing wrong with good ol' Jameson, though maybe best for the hot whiskies. Bushmills now, that's a different story ...aah...

Sorry Papal Knight, if we're doing your head in, you'll have read, however, this weekend, the list of "groceries" delivered to Benedict by his own special German courier ... our man in Rome is a Bayern, doch! ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/20/pope-christmas-gifts

If I remember correctly, Benedict likes his Bayerisches Bier ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:00 am

well, getting right back on thread but bringing it all together, I remember buying my granny some whiskey-flavoured tea a few years ago - bought it in the Tea House, Covent Garden - needless to say, it combined two of her joys in in life cheers ...

http://www.covent-garden.co.uk/SITES/theteahouse/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:03 am

Atticus wrote:
Nothing wrong with good ol' Jameson, though maybe best for the hot whiskies. Bushmills now, that's a different story ...aah...

Sorry Papal Knight, if we're doing your head in, you'll have read, however, this weekend, the list of "groceries" delivered to Benedict by his own special German courier ... our man in Rome is a Bayern, doch! ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/20/pope-christmas-gifts

If I remember correctly, Benedict likes his Bayerisches Bier ...

He also likes his 60 a day Malboro reds too!!! bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:09 am

Hmm, Atticus likes whiskey but Marlboros or any other smokey things - Evil or Very Mad ...

Will be alright if Benedict is still friends-sort-of with Hans Kueng ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:10 am

The genius of a cafetiere is that it can also be used as a tea infuser to brew loose tea. What's the story with loose tea, is the difference between bags and loose tea analogous to the difference between instant coffee and ground beans?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:10 am

BIG-HEAD though Kueng of course is ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 am

Atticus wrote:
Hmm, Atticus likes whiskey but Marlboros or any other smokey things - Evil or Very Mad ...

Will be alright if Benedict is still friends-sort-of with Hans Kueng ...

Papal Knight say: smokey things nice (*cough*). Whiskey yuuuuuch!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 5:39 am

I'm a fan of cigars myself, but no ciggies...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 1:28 pm

Its funny because I used to hate people who drank coffee or tea until I went to Spain where I have taken up Cafe con leche with my morning croissant though I'm still suspìcious of people who prefer a tea or coffee after 6pm when going out.
You get a lot of this on the continent though it is also becomming prevalent in Ireland to oI notice.
I have a problem with a coffee/tea drinker in a pub and its probably that I sense some kind of religious superiority from the person which I found personally offensive.. Theres a puritanical undertone there, but there is also a hidden message indicating disapproval for someones lifesytle. I've even had good friends, who were once boozing buddies ask for a tea in a bar and I havent spoken to them ever again. It is in my opnion extremely bad manners, unless of course that person has a good reasons(alcoholism/liver disease), and of course a good friend will inform you of that problem.

So dont go drinking tea with me in a pub unless you have a doctors note!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 1:57 pm

Quote :
Theres a puritanical undertone there, but there is also a hidden message indicating disapproval for someones lifesytle.
Interesting post Respvblica - says something about you, something about society.

I prefer to drink tea or water or sprite now when I go out. I don't know about alcoholism but I admire those people who do go out and have two, three, four pints. You probably drink canas in Spain and generally they do don't they - little half litre glasses of beer or smaller. They kind of frown on you if you order a jarra - what else would an irishman do but order as near a pint as he could get? The half-litre jarra does the job.

I've never had it in mind that I frown on people who drink in the evenings or over-drink at the weekend but I knew some tea-drinkers who did do a little frowning. They were right at the time to do so, I'm afraid, as it was botollons for me (drinking with a group in the park ?) whenever I get the chance.

I do get annoyed when I'm asked what I'm drinking and I say Sprite and I get a mild snide question as response about me undergoing Advent or November prayers or something. But you can't really start a conversation there and then that you wished you could control it like they can - where you go for two and end up tanked up on 12.

That could be alcoholism alright though. So I just drink in the sibin now...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype   Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tea? No thanks, I'm not a Father Ted stereotype
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2