Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? Empty
PostSubject: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 11:04 pm

2008 - St Patrick's Day is redundant.

Discuss...

For what it's worth, I'm on our local committee and it will be a grand weekend. And I'll be in Cashel tomorrow for the skyfest. Celebrations I can do.

But I'm not too sure what exactly is being celebrated.

There won't be a bar of Dochas Linn Naomh Padraig to be heard anywhere. There were no floats in St Patrick's time and I'm not certain that shamrock, leprechauns and saints have much currency nowadays.

What Irishness are we celebrating?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Kate P wrote:
What Irishness are we celebrating?
International No-Snakes In Ireland Day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 3:02 am

I work in a business that operates across borders, so there is always work to be done, regardless of day (only exception is Christmas Day). For years now I've volunteered to work Paddys Day. Can't stand it, particularly in Dublin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 12:48 pm

guinness marketing day
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 4:55 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
guinness marketing day

St Patrick's Day is a weird hybrid between religious Pascal procession and Bord Failte beano that rarely comes off with conviction. The best parades are the local ones up the mountains. Try Myshall or Ballyporeen, although you may not get the local references the insanity levels are high.

I tried Dublin one year with a bunch of young wans and the crack was mighty. Lovely sunny day, no traffic and a happy atmosphere. Dublin never looked better. bounce Completely failed to get sight of the Parade - tried in Dame Street but there was a two metre barrier erected to make sure it couldn't be seen (anyone know the reason for that?). Parade was not much of a loss as the day in general was excellent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 6:58 pm

parade's are now 'for the kids' need something or older to do instead of drinking, need to start up some new traditions,

I've never been to the big ceili but it sounds like silly fun for a while
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 7:47 pm

lostexpectation wrote:
parade's are now 'for the kids' need something or older to do instead of drinking, need to start up some new traditions,

I've never been to the big ceili but it sounds like silly fun for a while

The Rock of Cashel sounds like a good place to be for Patricks Day. By the way, has anyone heard from him?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 10:22 am

The Rock of Cashel (the older of the legendary phenomena) was a spectacular place for the fireworks display. It was stunning - the tv pictures can't have done any justice to it. It was well worth the drive down - brilliant. And there was gorgeous lights display around the Rock afterwards which none of you got to see on screen. It was a perfect match of location and celebration. Well done to all concerned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? EmptySun Mar 16, 2008 7:47 pm

was there a conert too? very edinburgh new years eve eh?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?   St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about? Empty

Back to top Go down

St Patrick's Day - What's all the fuss about?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Chatter-
Jump to: