Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

On this day 11 April in Irish History

Go down 
AuthorMessage

On this day 11 April in Irish History Empty
PostSubject: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:02 am

April 11 1689: William of Orange and his wife, Mary (the Protestant daughter of the deposed James II), were jointly crowned King and Queen of England on this day. They were crowned by the Bishop of London as the Archbishop of Canterbury refused to do it.

11 April 1912: Asquith introduced the Third Home Rule Bill in the HOC. It was not carried in the House until January 1913 and then it was rejected by the HOL. It did not become Law until September 1914 when it was suspended for the duration of hostilities. This Bill triggered the Constitutional Crises that brought Ireland to the brink of a sectarian Civil War and saw the eventually saw the Country partitioned.

11 April 1912: The Titanic,46,324 gross tons, departed on 11 April 1912 from Cobh, her final port of call before heading on her maiden voyage to New York.

11 April 1951: Dr. Noel Browne resigned from the Costello’s Coalition Government as Minister of Health due to the controversy surrounding his Mother and Child Scheme.

Last edited by Brandubh on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:05 am

Brandubh wrote:

11 April 1951: Dr. Noel Browne resigned from the Costello’s Coalition Government as Minister of Health due to the controversy surrounding his Mother and Child Scheme.

I'll have to check that one out. I'm curious to know what it was about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:07 am

Big scandal at the time. The Catholic Church took a lot of the blame for years over that - it looked like they were more powerful than the Government of the day!

But other factors were at play too...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:09 am

Around the world:

1814: Former French leader Napoleon Bonaparte exiled to the island of Elba
1898: President McKinley asks for Spanish-American War declaration Hearst newspapers just flourish
1899: Treaty of Paris ratified. Spain cedes Puerto Rico to US.
1941: Belgrade, in Yugoslavia, occupied by German forces during World War 2
1945: At the end of World War 2, the Red army enters the Austrian city of Vienna
1951: General MacArthur relieved of command in the Far East, over Korea
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Anything Irish happen today?
All I can get is Paul Henry was born today in 1876. Paul Henry is famous for his paintings of western scenrey and his use of big skies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:17 pm

905 wrote:
All I can get is Paul Henry was born today in 1876. Paul Henry is famous for his paintings of western scenrey and his use of big skies.

He is buried in Enniskerry Parish Graveyard for anyone who likes to know that sort of thing. His gravestone is virtually unreadable but recogniseable as several stones have been placed on top of his gravestone to make it readily identifiable. It is also the resting place of Katy French for anyone more interested in Celtic Tiger "Culture"... Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:19 pm

It seems to have been a very quiet day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 pm

The Israelis began the trial of Eichman I believe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:04 pm

905 wrote:

Not that quite - see above!

I will add Paul Henry to the file I'm developing - hopefully it will be the most comprehensive around on Internet.

Any contros on Irish people or events at Home or abroad for a specific date are more than welcome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 pm

1814: Former French leader Napoleon Bonaparte exiled to the island of Elba

Able was I ere I saw Elba
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On this day 11 April in Irish History   On this day 11 April in Irish History Empty

Back to top Go down

On this day 11 April in Irish History
Page 1 of 1