Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Ikea! A good idea?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:46 am

So I'm in the market for a new bed and I was considering a trip ooop norf to Ikea, what with the exchange rate and me having several billion in Zimbabweian currency I need to offload.

Anybody done this, is it worth it and several other obvious questions...
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:47 am

You'll be able to use €uro up in IKEA soon. Wait a bit longer before going.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:50 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I fear my bed might not hold up much longer. I've been having quite a lot of energetic sex in it recently* and it's looking the worst for wear.

*may not be true at all.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:54 am

cookiemonster wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

I fear my bed might not hold up much longer. I've been having quite a lot of energetic sex in it recently* and it's looking the worst for wear.

*may not be true at all.

I'm sure it has. It's more than likely of the individual kind, right? Smile
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:02 am

I'll have you know the troop of fair maidens employed here at Castle Cookie...

Yes.

Sad

Ikea have some very ugly looking furniture.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:03 am

I was up in Ikea before Christmas. Good day out - make sure to have the meatballs! I have heard there is problems with their beds because people don't put them together properly. However, we found that the overall quality of their products are very good so as long as you tighten the bolts properly you should be onto a winner!
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 am

johnfás wrote:
I was up in Ikea before Christmas. Good day out - make sure to have the meatballs! I have heard there is problems with their beds because people don't put them together properly. However, we found that the overall quality of their products are very good so as long as you tighten the bolts properly you should be onto a winner!

Their prices seem good too. So it's all down to me hauling my ass out of bed on a Saturday morning.
I might treat myself to a new bed for my birthday. That or the watch I've been drooling over (which would require me to starve for the year).
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:12 am

What watch?

Hope you have a fairly large car/trailer because some of the boxes can be rather big. Add in a mattress and you need alot of room.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:12 am

Have the Dimecake - yum!

I bought loads of knacky kitchen things that I can't live without from Vienna, Gothenburg and Berlin (and hiked them all home on the plane). All useful stuff that the Irish never think of - like whisks that have the whisky bit horizontal at the bottom of the handle so you can beat an egg in a mug.

Great soft furnishings too.

Ikea is great. Overload - but great.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:16 am

Kate P wrote:
Have the Dimecake - yum!

Is Dimecake specific to Ikea? We had some after lunch last Sunday. Definately won't have come from Ikea though.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:18 am

I am not joking, but our local furniture shop owner was pulled out of the river last week (alive, tg) by our local night time fishing-person. These are bad days for the little sofa seller.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:22 am

cactus flower wrote:
I am not joking, but our local furniture shop owner was pulled out of the river last week (alive, tg) by our local night time fishing-person. These are bad days for the little sofa seller.

It is true. I know a bespoke cabinet maker, nobody buys his stuff these days because nobody buys quality. Everyone seems to want to change everything every couple of years so what is the point. Ah the age of disposability.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:22 am

johnfás wrote:
What watch?

Hope you have a fairly large car/trailer because some of the boxes can be rather big. Add in a mattress and you need alot of room.

I'll refer you to The "I LIKE..." thread

As for the transport I have a large car and a van, I may need both as I've just spotted a massive book shelf with the purchase of which would come the urgent need to full it with books, more books. Lots more books.

Mmmm....
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:26 am

Nice watch... I get discount in Weirs Very Happy not that I can afford to use it though.

I like the look of those Titantic Watches by Romain Jerome... all out of my budget for the foreseeable future anyway.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 am

johnfás wrote:
Nice watch... I get discount in Weirs Very Happy not that I can afford to use it though.

I like the look of those Titantic Watches by Romain Jerome... all out of my budget for the foreseeable future anyway.

Ooooh... But I am smitten by the Milgauss and I don't know why... actually I do know why, it resists MAGNETS and it has a Faraday cage in it and this is very cool for me for some reason.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:32 am

We have a wonderful dresser and sideboard hand made by an elderly man in Tipperary. Not fancy but very country. Both are very happy in our kitchen.

I think there's more to it johnfás than people not buying quality - I think they don't know what it is. And I think that a lot of people favour disposable, chuckable furniture. I get hold of old things that I like the shape and function of and paint them or sand them down. I've two nice wheelbacked chairs that I've sanded down to the bare timber and i like them so much that way I'm going to leave them naked.
Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 1:37 am

I looked into having a bed made and it was just costing too much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ikea! A good idea? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ikea! A good idea?   Ikea! A good idea? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ikea! A good idea?
Page 1 of 1