Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Parents Support Church Role in Education

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Parents Support Church Role in Education Empty
PostSubject: Parents Support Church Role in Education   Parents Support Church Role in Education EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 pm

Apparantly most parents are quite church-savvy when it comes to educating their children, with 70% saying that religious education is important and other nice things in general.
Report in the Irish Times: Parents of Catholic primary pupils support role of church.

This was rather surprising to me, I was under the impression that support for Church involvement/interference (delete as appropriate) has dropped significantly.

Of course, the figures aren't saying that figures aren't dropping but they're certainly still quite high. So much for secularism then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parents Support Church Role in Education   Parents Support Church Role in Education EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 pm

905 wrote:
Apparantly most parents are quite church-savvy when it comes to educating their children, with 70% saying that religious education is important and other nice things in general.
Report in the Irish Times: Parents of Catholic primary pupils support role of church.

This was rather surprising to me, I was under the impression that support for Church involvement/interference (delete as appropriate) has dropped significantly.

Of course, the figures aren't saying that figures aren't dropping but they're certainly still quite high. So much for secularism then.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but it was a survey of "catholic primary pupil" parents. Will go away and read the article though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parents Support Church Role in Education   Parents Support Church Role in Education EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:04 pm

cactus flower wrote:
905 wrote:

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but it was a survey of "catholic primary pupil" parents. Will go away and read the article though.

Of parents of pupils in Catholic primary schools presumably. Catholic Primary schools form the majority though so it isn't as narrow as saying "practising Catholics support role of Church"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parents Support Church Role in Education   Parents Support Church Role in Education EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:36 am

deleted

Last edited by Kate P on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parents Support Church Role in Education   Parents Support Church Role in Education EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 12:56 am

Kate P wrote:
lostexpectation wrote:
test

kate p are you suggesting i didn't get special access is required to post on this forum message?

No. That would assume that this is a special access forum and it isn't.

But I was curious as to why you shouldn't be able to post and whether others could or not. Please pm me if you want to reply so as not to drag this thread off topic. I'll delete this in a few minutes.

Is lostexpectation having trouble posting here?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parents Support Church Role in Education   Parents Support Church Role in Education EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 4:52 am

I was, its fixed now kate p doesn't believe me though.

anyway, the percentages are high,but its like the david quinn survey, he asked what people preference for schools were , a large majority chose catholic, but what he didn't ask was what their second preference was, taking into account the cost to the exchequer and what would suit most parents and children. clearly more would be willing to back multi-denominations schools in that case.

98 per cent said they were aware when applying to enrol their child that the school choice was a Catholic school; -no shit sherlock??? -

95 per cent were satisfied with their decision to send their child to the school they currently attend;

most schools are okay...

90 per cent of parents stated that the school their child was attending was their first choice;

again this is surprisingly high still, but one has to take into account ,that being a catholic schools doesn't terminally put off too many parents, and there happy to take the nearest school.

81 per cent of parents agreed that they were sufficiently involved in their child's preparation for First Holy Communion; schools and priest don't agree though, they're are sick of having to do most of the work on this,you asked the wrong people

all high numbers then bam! 48 per cent would choose a school under the management of a religious denomination

thats is a low number for ireland. and with 95% of schools catholic there's huge gap there, if you've read the series of letters in the times in the last days still priest and religous cranks refuse to recognise that the choice for catholic parents will continue for good while but there a huge deficit of choice for the secular. and they keep saying that secularism will be forced upon them ,when secularism is the opposite of that.

i tired bringing up this subject on p.ie but then I got replies from cellop, i can't argue with people who look at the figure 95% catholic schools and claim they are the ones with the lack of choice.

the church but more specifically david quinn is trying to stir up this conflict between the state and parents that doesn't exist, suggesting there are these state-ist that what schools run and controlled completely by the state, when i can't heard find anybody that has said that, the parents use state funded schools now, so why not get the state to take up its responsibility,(where previously this gap caused huge problems with children's safety and now is causing huge problems with accomodating demands) along side parents and local authorities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parents Support Church Role in Education   Parents Support Church Role in Education Empty

Back to top Go down

Parents Support Church Role in Education
Page 1 of 1